What Is Your Most Unpretentious Handgun?

FunGramps

My old reliable since the mid 70s:

attachment.php
Sweet! Those are fetching a grunch of money now. My dad paid $60 for his service revolver (about what you have there) when he became an LEO in '67.

Ricklin

Perhaps the cheapest?

Unpretentious would be my old PA-63.
Bought it out of Shotgun news ad back around 1990. The seller claimed they came from the infamous STASI. Believable given the date of purchase.

My boss and good friend was a kitchen table FFL. He warned me how hard it would be to get ammo. 9mm Mak was virtually unknown at that time in the US.

I put a lot of rounds through it. Only fix has been a new recoil spring.

Hmm, I have some 9mm Mak, it needs a range trip. Been years since it has been fired.

HistoryJunky

I'd say that title would have to go to my Taurus G2S 9MM. It is a run of the mill gun, marketed to be affordable. I think I paid $200 for it.

I actually have taken quite a liking to it. I have pur about 300 rounds through it and it has been reliable. I upgraded the striker guide and recoil spring to steel instead of plastic.

I keep it in my glove box with a holster so I always have a gun to carry.

It is also one of the few 9mm single stacks that has a swappable mag release. That is important to me since I am left handed.

52833cd3d38d0befff91bdc2713121dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

langenc

If I want a boomer--Smith 66-357.

For a walk in the woods or checking traps Ruger Mark III Hunter 6 7/8

kell

The aunt of a friend had husband's old 38 in the closet. She gave it to Bill and he gave it to me. S&W Mdl of 1905 3rd change. 38 spl - pretty beat up - several dents - nickel plate. Smooth DA and single action trigger to die for!! The old gun is consistently accurate and feels good in my hand. I'll never part with it!

moe.ron

I think they both fit the bill, I know the thread is old, I mostly wanted to post the pic. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 68
Colt M1991A1 Compact, in .45 ACP (of course).

The M1991A1 series was Colt's "budget" line in the 1980s and foir a couple of decades thereafter. The Compact is basically an Officers ACP with a much plainer finish and hard rubber grips.

Seems many need a definition....

Unpretentious....
free from ostentation, elegance, or affectation : MODEST

I have many guns that I have a great affection for and many that I display, meant to impress others. I have a few that have exceptional elegance. But this post isn't about those.

All those guns are off the table..... with this question from the OP....

=================================

For me, a true utilitarian gun, free from elegance would be.... yeah, a couple....

Phoenix Arms .22 with range kit with a longer barrel. This gun is a "Saturday Night Special", but in the right hands.... will dispatch a squirrel at 50 feet on a limb.

Second is my "truck gun".... a Phoenix Arms 9mm. This gun seems to be very unaltered by the dust and grum that a "country truck" would offer and still be very accurate, despite the grunk on it from bouncing around on ranch roads for months on end, under the seat.

RETG

Never owned a pretentious handgun; therefore, never carried an unpretentious handgun. Handguns for me are tools, always have been and always will be...tools.

ChasHam

Stallard JS-9mm. Big, clunky, ugly, single stack 9 round magazine, a few dings/scrapes, covers most of the glove box floor. Goes bang every trigger-yank.

Drm50

Life is to short to carry junk. A lot of the big dollar guns of today were just guns when they were made. I have no pretentious guns, no second rate stuff either. There is no sense leaving the good guns in the safe. You don’t have to beat them up under normal use.