What Is Your Most Unpretentious Handgun?

Frisco

In context?

Plinker: My old Ruger MkII 4" fixed sight .22lr that I bought at Marksman in Tucson in 1988 for somewhere on the close end of a hundred bucks.

Centerfire: An old 4" pencil barrel Smith Model 10-2 in .38 Special. (I have a strange weakness for the old pencil barrel K Frames, no matter how many competition and specialty pistols I have accumulated over the years...I am ALWAYS on the lookout for old K Frames).

CajunBass

Probably this one.

Taurus Spectrum 380. About as simple as you can make a gun I suppose. Handy little thing too.

enhance

Or maybe this one. Heritage Rough Rider, 22 LR. Even simpler and really more useful for most things. I just got it, and sort of forgot about it.

enhance

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

Smith & Wesson Model 67, 4" bbl. It's a 2014 production; so there's nothing classic about it.

It's also the gun I shoot the most - by far.

Hanshi

While there is more than one that fits the description I'm pretty sure it has to be the Raven .25 acp. Reliable mouse gun and pretty accurate, too.

Forte S+W

CajunBass said:
Taurus Spectrum 380. About as simple as you can make a gun I suppose. Handy little thing too.

I wanted one of those so badly when they were first announced, but then they got delayed for several months and once they were finally released they had issues with light primer strikes so I ended up getting a Ruger LCP instead. Did they ever manage to fix them or did you just experiment until you found ammo that ran reliably?

ligonierbill

If by unpretentious you mean "scruffy" or "run hard and put away wet", here is my example. It's a Colt Army Special in .41 Long Colt made in 1920. Someone cleaned off a lot of rust and doused her in cold blue, but she's still ugly. But timing is on, and the bore isn't bad at all. Came cheap.

Attachments

• AS 41 6.jpg
    AS 41 6.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 160

bamaranger

Rugers

I bought a Ruger Bearcat, an early one, from a woman at church, it had belonged to her Dad. Early pistol, they had it in Alaska when they homesteaded for a few years....and it looks it. The cylinder base pin was lost and the Dad fashioned a new one from......a Phillips screw driver shaft!!!!!
I bought a new pin and carry the little shooter frequently in my big wool pants pocket.

After watching "Tombstone", I just had to have a single action. "Bubba's Pawn Shop" (honest, now closed) had a very worn, blued, Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8" in .357. Somebody had re-varnished the grips..by coating the panels and the metal backstraps as well......apparently never took them off the gun. Bluing was thin and worn as well, lots of character, but mechanically sound, and the bore/cylinders looked good. Cleaned up the grips, still have the gun.

Kreyzhorse

All of mine are unpretentious.... but my beaters are a Colt New Frontier and a Colt Agent.

Sure they are Colts, but they've been used well and will continue to be shot. Great fun old shooters.

kymasabe

My S&W SD9. The Honda Civic of handguns, does everything pretty well, does nothing exceptional well.
Ugly, but reliable as all hell. I'll probably never get rid of it.

tdrizzle

Handgun

The Gen 2 G19 I got at a show more than 10 years ago. I replaced the sights, and put a factory guide rod in to replace the laser guide rod that was in there, dead. Got a couple bucks for that, too.

No finger grooves or rail, no idea who had it before me, but it sure shoots well for me. First among my Glocks, even the newer ones.

Mike38

For handgun, my Taurus Model 83. It's not pretty, holster worn bluing, an ample supply of rust pimples, but it's accurate and reliable. For rifles, an old Remington bolt action model 510. Bluing is totally gone, it's now brown. But the bore is perfect and as accurate as any other newer .22 rifle I own.

HiBC

RIA 1911 frame. Remington GI slide. Original Parkerize ; VN vintage chrome bore GI bbl.
Trijicon tritium front sight,GI type U-notch rear. Cyl and Slide duty/carry trigger set The rest of the small parts,various quality parts.

Just a parts bucket generic franken 1911. Feeds empty brass from the mag and goes bang every time.

Last edited:

Sevens

I have a Feg GKK-45 that is far more than the sum of it’s parts and it shoots irrationally well. It’s a good looking pistol also. The double action trigger pull is very rough but the single action isn’t bad at all. I wish the sights were a little bigger, but it will outshoot most “duty” type pistols in a bullseye shoot-off.

I’ve had it probably 4-5 years, I think I paid around $300 for it?

JC57

Probably my old S&W Model 10-7, 4" pencil barrel blue steel revolver. I bought it new in 1979. Just a basic 6-shooter.

ms6852

All my guns are unpretentious . When Garth Brooks wrote his song "friends in low places" it was about me.

Cheapshooter

I don't but, nor am I impressed by pretentious, "look at me" anything!
Especially firearms.
But I think CajunBass nailed it. Nothing says not pretentious more than a Rough Rider. I have two of them.
close runner ups in my "accumulation" are my EDC BUG LCP, and a KelTec P32

Ingramite

This is what 67 years of pocket wear looks like

1953 S&W Chief Special Hammerless.
1st year for that model. Affectionately known as The Lemon Squeezer for the grip safety.

This revolver has a beautiful blue finish that has all soaked into the steel, leaving a nice soft gray.

This one is a low 4 digit serial number with the matching high horn factory grips that are numbered to the gun.

She doesn't make a big to-do over it all. Everyday she just dives into my pocket like she has done for the past 67 years.

Attachments

• 20210109_111832_resized_1 (2).jpg
    20210109_111832_resized_1 (2).jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 101