What Is Your Most Unpretentious Handgun?

aarondhgraham

That would be "Libby",,,

That would be "Libby",,,

libby.jpg

Plain Jane - No Frills,,,
3" S&W Model 36.

In a moment of weakness I offered to sell Libby to a good friend,,,
No one was more happy then I when my friend replied,,,
"I really want something prettier."

Aarond

Midland BackPack shotgun. Single shot, very well build, even drilled for chokes. Actually have two of them. One a 18" and the other a 22" 12 ga. which came with a Turkey choke and scope mount. Also have a 20ga insert and 9mm and 22.cal insert.

Excellent build quality for $150.00.

iEE2nQB.jpg

natman

BUxhmLV.jpg

Charter Arms Target Bulldog in 44 Special. It's my trail gun. Light, powerful and compact. It would fit the category even better with what was left of the original finish, but I redid it in GunKote.

I wanted an S&W 329PD, but it would have been over $1000 more.

CajunBass

I wanted one of those so badly when they were first announced, but then they got delayed for several months and once they were finally released they had issues with light primer strikes so I ended up getting a Ruger LCP instead. Did they ever manage to fix them or did you just experiment until you found ammo that ran reliably?
Actually I haven't even fired it. I just saw it in the used case at the LGS one day, it was cheap, so I grabbed it. I was able to buy one box of 380 FMJ ammo that day but haven't seen another since then. Shooting it's not a high priority for me, so it's just riding the shelf in the safe for now.

bull bob

I would have to say my S&W 1917.

It is dated to 1918, missing the lanyard and swivel, some previous owner had a dovetail cut in the top strap to fit a 1911 rear sight, and the half moon front sight was cut in half to make a squared up sight picture. And the barrel is pitted pretty good, probably from corrosive primers.

I have replaced the ejector rod as it was bent and obtained a new old stock US Property marked replacement barrel. Soon I will be talking to a smith about fixin her up.

TRX

"Unpretentious" would be my Taurus Model 85 .38 snubnose revolver, which now has a few dings and some truly disgusting sweat damage. I've sweated on it enough to stain the stainless steel bits, and you don't even want to know what some of the aluminum looks like. It looks like an "after" prop from the set of an "Alien" remake.

It has been my EDC for a long time, and it's miserably hot and muggy here. Which is why my "good" guns are carefully stored in humidity-controlled indoors.

The Taurus is also the most unpleasant-to-shoot pistol I've ever fired. It's only .38 Special, but the grip is small and there's not much gun there; the felt recoil is much worse than my guns in .44 Magnum or .460 Rowland. However, the recoil signature would be the last thing I would be thinking about if I ever had to use it.

It's not a fancy gun, but when the "carry rotation" stopped years ago, it was the Model 85 that I reach for every morning when I get dressed. It's so small and light that not-carrying it is never even an option; if I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing the Taurus. It's just one of those things that's always there, like my watch or my glasses.

pete2

Scruffy would be my 586 that was used for IDPA in a Kydex holster. Unpretentious, a Ruger LC9 and a Rossi snub nose.

tallball

Wow... tough call. I have a number of cheap ugly handguns that are good shooters.

I bought a NiB Russian Makarov in the late 1980's for $89. It is ugly and clunky. Its DA trigger is stiff. But it's surprisingly accurate and I don't recall it ever malfunctioning.

I have handguns that I would rather CC or use as a "nightstand gun", but the Makarov would do either one just fine if needed.

larryf1952

I guess the closest thing to "unpretentious" that I have would be my Jennings J-22 that I bought for $56 in 1985.

Of course, it had the obligatory jams and failures to extract on almost every shot, until I took it apart and applied some critical and high level gunsmithing to it. It cost me a fortune, after all. And, I thought it was cute. How could I get rid of it?

To my incredible surprise, the thing started to work at nearly 100%. Rare is the jam on those once in a decade times when I actually shoot it these days. I'll probably sell off the Colts before I get rid of the Jennings. :)

PYXEPTb.jpg

Shadow9mm

Had quite a few handguns over the years, not a one that I would think of a pretentious.....

This is the handguns I can remember owning at one point or another. Wish I still has most of them.

Bersa Thunder 380
Kel-tek PF9
S&W 642
Taurus PT1911
Sig P226
G19
G22
G17
Ruger 22/45
Ruger GP100
NAA 22mag/22lr combo'

I did have a walther ppk, bought it used. terrible gun, only one I can think of that is close to that, but it was not for me.

Last edited:

zoo

I've never found any firearm pointed in my direction to be unpretentious but maybe that's just me.

When it happens it sorta makes me want to poop my pants.

mk70ss

Quote “I've never found any firearm pointed in my direction to be unpretentious but maybe that's just me.

When it happens it sorta makes me want to poop my pants.”

No one ever said anything about “pointed in my direction”..........

KyJim

I have some nice guns, but I also have some unpretentious ones. The most unpretentious ones would be:

A. A well-worn Colt Cobra .22LR with a three-inch barrel. I love a three-inch barreled revolver and this one is light and a fun plinker (needs to be timed):

MAXfdms.jpg

B. A Colt Agent .38 special. I was told it was carried by a police detective before it came into my hands. I've often carried it in a leather OWB holster when I wanted to go light:

0zJnlQd.jpg

I have a couple of SW Model 10s that I would also put in that category, but didn't have photos handy.

CleanDean

Nick C S. You & I have the 67 as the standard handgun in common .
My S&W 67 was the first actual handgun that I bought for myself. All others before were hand me downs. So I never really babied that 67 , but never abused it either.

Served me 14 years as a Tavern owner/ operator. Shot it one time in a warning shot ... to protect a couple of Harley's from getting run into... In the front parking lot.

mk70ss

Quote. I didn't say they had.

My point is that your premise is sorta dumb.

How is this premise dumb?

Last edited:

zoo

I didn't say you were dumb, Mk. I said your premise was sorta dumb. No need to be name calling.

In my humble opinion there is no such thing as an unpretentious gun, only unpretentious behavior.

Not surprised you wouldn't see that considering your apparent proclivity to getting insulted and responding with name-calling.

Last edited: