9mm 1911. What do you all say?

Gas Bag

If you have a dozen 1911s already and want to complete your collection, a 9mm 1911 is just the thing.
For a first 1911, definitely not.
It would be like asking if a 1974, 175hp Corvette should be your introduction to the type?
That’s a good analogy, I remember some of the bad old days, when car performance was killed off. And it made for some lousy cars.

MarkCO

If you have a dozen 1911s already and want to complete your collection, a 9mm 1911 is just the thing.
For a first 1911, definitely not.
It would be like asking if a 1974, 175hp Corvette should be your introduction to the type?

Yep. I have 1911s in .45, .40 Super, .40 S&W, and 10mm. The 9mm was to complete the collection, and get a very low recoil handgun for some gun games if the recoil becomes a problem for me as I age.

MarkCO

I have really wanted to find a Bul Armory pistol locally, but I may just order one. Enjoy your new pistol!

Thanks. My LGS is on the path to being a dealer. They only have like 5 nationwide. Most folks are getting them off Gunbroker. Word on the street is they are selling direct to a few FL FFLs that are listing them, so I picked a FL listing for mine.

If you can find a Magnum Research 1911, those are made for them by Bul, and there are more of them in the wild.

GGuzz

I am the keeper of my dad’s .45 5” SS Gold Cup, I have left a 50rd-box of when it was last out – 04/1998.
Anything I pick up anymore requires CCW purpose, 2017-on my turn for 1911 = Dan Wesson 4.25/CCO, Nighthawk 4.25/Commander and Wilson Combat 4/Compact all in 9mm closes out my 1911 collection (no double-stack, external extractor, pic rail for me).
My son calls my dad’s GC a trophy more than a gun, eventually he’ll get all these passed on with the WC as his favorite.

oldbear1950

Back in my younger days , 1976 to be exact, when stationed in Kodiak, AK, I purchased a used COLT, 1911 in 38 super. Blueing was pretty much gone, and not very accurate, but that was still when COLT head spaced that caliber on the semi rim. And ever ammo manufacturer could decide what that thickness was. So accuracy was kaput.
I had the frame hard cromed, the slide beed blasted and blued, high profile fixed sights, and added a Bar Sto match barrel and bushing.
If you remember the COLT combat elite in 45 acp, well I built that 28 super to be basicly the same thing. That was in 1983
Then when the 9 mm got so cheap, pre covid that is, purchased an ED BROWN
match barrel and bushing, presto 1911 9 mm oh yeah had to change the magazines too, as the 38 super is longer than 9 mm. shoots great, and can still go back to 38 super when I want

oldbear1950

TISAS 1911

I purchased one of their pistols, marketed by SDS, the carry model.
Changed the ambi safety to a basic military style safety, put hogue grips on it and it shoots great, in fact has shot everything I have put in it. Hollow points ball, wadcutters , everything.
No problems

wild cat mccane

So an update as an appreciation to everyone helping me out.

I was in the midst of buying a new P210 Target this week, the store mistakenly sent me an email to complete my cart after I paid. It was even lower of a price than my heck of a deal. I asked what it was about and they honored the drop and said Sig set a new MSRP on the P210 just like 3 days ago. MSRP is dropping just a wee bit, but I got a score I think.

Out the door, shipped, new P210 Target for $1,200 coming my way. I think this will meet my needs for 1911 9mm like gun. Pics to come. Even if Sig updated the P210 to a double stack or it's just not popular, I feel good about this purchase.

Thank you all!

The P210 looks like an interesting firearm, but I would hardly call it 1911-like. It looks more CZ-75B-like.

Looking forward to your furst range report.

wild cat mccane

You're exactly right.

Half way through I started to ask about the P210 over a 1911 for range target. Originally looking at a 1911, but think I'll be content with the P210 instead.

Eddiejoe

I love my 9mm 1911! It is solid, absorbs recoil, looks good IMHO, and accurate enough for me. Mine is a single-stack from Taylor's because the double-stacks were just too big for my hands. I have a couple other 9s, but the 1911 is my favorite!

Mosin44az

I think you will be content as well. My P210 Standard is the best gun I own, and is always the one my friends want to shoot.

Jim Watson

I looked hard at the last P210A Standard to pass though town.
But I couldn't seem to get Bruce Gray's 10 round magazine extension and mag well funnel without paying big bucks for the Brute project gun. And I need that 10 shots because my main use for a full size 9mm is IDPA ESP. So the Colt will have to do.

Bottom Gun

Half way through I started to ask about the P210 over a 1911 for range target. Originally looking at a 1911, but think I'll be content with the P210 instead.

I hope it works out that way for you but you won't really know how it might have been with a 1911. Just sayin' . . . . . . . .;):D

JDBerg

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/pointman-nine-pm-9/

You can’t get an STI Trojan 9mm like mine anymore, there are no more like it out there, I’ve tried to buy one in .45 ACP and couldn’t find one anywhere. I almost bought an STI Spartan V in .45 ACP which had a trigger that you dream about. I was $100 apart with the seller on his $800 asking price, and I should have paid him the money. IMHO, the best gun for the money ($650.00!) back in the day when these were new.

But if you can get a DW Pointman 9 at a fair price I’d be all over it. Put a WC flat wire recoil spring with the WC guide rod & plug, and you get flexibility to shoot lighter weight 9mm loads. These shoot the heavier 147 gr. loads like a sweet dream. This might be (again “IMHO”) one of the best range guns ever.

Schlitz 45

Personally I don't need a 9mm 1911 & prefer them in 45ACP but I get it. Mrs shot my 1911's very well with her only complaint being they were a bit "barky" that I guess meant the recoil was more than she was used to. I figured a 9mm 1911 would be the ticket & for once I was right. I gifted her a Dan Wesson Vigil
a couple years ago that she calls Virgil. She was out shootin' it it this weekend & putting together some tight groups with it. It's been a great shooter with zero issues.
P6vpkfjl.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
I have a love for a lot of odd things but a 9mm Luger caliber 1911 pattern pistol isn't one of them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their favorites, but I consider a 9mm 1911 a superior package in an inferior round. And, before you get all spun up, I'm talking about what it WAS back when I formed my opinions. Today its not what it was, downrange, so I don't object to 9mm anymore, its just not my cup of tea, outside of my love of historical items.

I've had 9mm Luger, in Lugers, in P.38, in a Broomhandle Mauser. I still have a 9mm PCC, so, I'm not faulting the round, just the choice to put it in a 1911A1 pattern gun.

I don't CARE about round count in a pistol. That's just me. Very important to some folks, not so much to me. So, the "extra capacity" of 9mm over .45 doesn't matter, to me.

FELT recoil is the same, to me. Sorry but I just cannot tell the difference in that 0.1" lower bore axis. In my hands the pistol rises the same amount, the only difference I can notice is the 9mm seems to get there a tad faster than the .45, and that's nothing, again, for me.

Note that the 1911 /A1 /Govt model, was produced for a bit over to 40 years before ever being chambered in 9mm Luger.

I'm well aware the 9mm is the primary military and police round today. I'm not a cop, never going to be one. I've been out of the military for 46 years now, and when I was in the service the US didn't use the 9mm round.

My opinions are strictly personal matters, and I'm not telling anyone they must, or should do as I do. But, you did ask....:D:rolleyes:

Jim Watson

Commander 9mm came along in 1950.
I see the 9mm GM operationally as a .38 Super with cheap ammo.
Yes the Super is a better match to the action length and if you know where to get ammo and brass at 9mm prices (my present supply of brass was free) I’m with you.

JDBerg

44 AMP: said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their favorites, but I consider a 9mm 1911 a superior package in an inferior round.

Everyone IS entitled to their own opinion, and I myself prefer good hand loaded .45ACP over factory 9mm, and there’s a good reason why bullseye shooters don’t shoot nines. But a 9mm 1911 IS good to have at the range with at least some of the heavier 9mm loads.