9mm 1911. What do you all say?

Jim Watson

Vapid, but I hate both "gold" as a color and "cup" as a trophy. So that the Colt slide reads Gold Cup with then a picture of a trophy. ugh....it's a mental struggle to like it

1957-1970 it only said "Gold Cup" on the box, not the gun. Shop around.

Ed4032

I really like my EMP. Runs like a sewing machine. Accurate too. I think that it’s worth the money and I haven’t changed anything on it.

Schlitz 45

I was a 1911 45ACP snob for many years but gifted Mrs Schlitz a Dan Wesson Vigil in 9mm because she shot my 1911’s so well. Turned out to be the perfect combination of design/size/caliber that she needed in a nice package & she shoots well with it. I get it now but sticking with what I know & like.
P6vpkfjl.jpg

J26Eljol.jpg

wild cat mccane

And that DW is available on gun.deals.

Funny thing, the Colt "lite" comes with the same frame cuts as this 1800 DW, but the 1800 Colt comes with more frame cuts.

Not equating that as quality, just saying this neophyte to 1911s is finding these difference obnoxious :)

As the EMP is accurate in its own right in its own class, I don't place it in a "target" gun. I would look at the Ronin/Range officer.

Looking at the Sig P210? I would take a closer look...a much closer look. They're popular in the accuracy department.

wild cat mccane

Thank you all for the time to respond back. Really appreciate it! Today I bought a new Sig P226 Elite (fell through after a long wait on another I thought I had coming). DAK has them cheap right now, FYI, cheaper than I've seen them in two years. BUT not the topic of the day.

So...I don't know if I know enough to know about the new Roni EMP vs Roni thing going on. Look it up on Gun.deals, different skus for them. I agree, I've never heard it has a "target" gun before, so I'll probably take it out of the running, but I'm aware of it enough to know people like it pre Roni. The Colt might be good, but my darn Python is increasingly annoying me for how bad the trigger is after all the rave reviews. Just junk.

I'm now at 100% on decision of a Sig P210 or a CZ Tactical Sport or both for range only fun. The P210 (Target) is wide at 1.6" but is single stack. That's the only thing immediately holding back the buy. Well, that and the Target grip look very specific while non "target" grips don't fit the looks for me.

It's a fun purchase. So fun purchases aren't always practical. But 8rnds is low when looking at the CZ Tactical Sport 2.

rickyrick

I’ve been contemplating getting a 1911.
I’m torn about getting one in 9mm because I have a barrel of 9mm already. This would result in not needing to buy ammunition forever, lol.
But I’ve already got a 9mm pistol. So I’ve basically been at a stalemate with myself for a couple of years.

Bottom Gun

I’m torn about getting one in 9mm because I have a barrel of 9mm already. This would result in not needing to buy ammunition forever, lol.
But I’ve already got a 9mm pistol. So I’ve basically been at a stalemate with myself for a couple of years.

A decent 1911 in 9MM is a very enjoyable shooter. I have both .45 and 9MM 1911s and prefer the 9MM. I carried a .45 caliber 1911 for decades so it took a while to warm up to 9MM, but I have grown to like it.
There's always room for a 1911. . . . . . . . .;)

rock185

I have the 210A target model. It is a very solid, precisely fitted pistol capable of excellent accuracy. That being said, a family member has the CZ with the blue grips, a TS2 model, I think. It was a very solid, precisely fitted pistol. Much as I like the 210, I suspect the CZ is probably a better gun for most uses.

Were I currently in the market, I would seriously consider a CZ.

ballardw

One option might be to consider one of the .22TCM / 9mm combo. Double-stack 17rd 9mm 1911, change barrel and spring and .22TCM for fireball fun.

Though they may be hard to find currently.

wild cat mccane

Update.

I'm watching for an P226 X-Five now being sold by The Attic on gunbroker for my "target" itch. I need to learn more about the generations. I know that my current thought of the All Around model isn't target, but should be at least "great."

I finally have the P226 Elite shipped (3rd time "buying" one online, here's hoping it comes--though thanks to TunnelRat for passing along the first one that I tried to buy).

I just bought a Shadow 2. There is a fluke or something going on, but I've looked at them every single day trying to decide...and it dropped in price today on gun.deals for no apparent reason. Purchased today. $100 off normal pricing I've seen for months.

I'm thinking the P226 X-Five comes next. I'm just not sold on the 1911. Too much customization points for a neophyte to just plunk into without knowledge. The Colt "Lite" might come home soon though. I am just not 100% on the idea yet.

This has been a wealth of information though. Thank you all! Pics of the new purchases when in. Thanks!

TunnelRat

Update.

I'm watching for an P226 X-Five now being sold by The Attic on gunbroker for my "target" itch. I need to learn more about the generations. I know that my current thought of the All Around model isn't target, but should be at least "great."

I finally have the P226 Elite shipped (3rd time "buying" one online, here's hoping it comes--though thanks to TunnelRat for passing along the first one that I tried to buy).

I just bought a Shadow 2. There is a fluke or something going on, but I've looked at them every single day trying to decide...and it dropped in price today on gun.deals for no apparent reason. Purchased today. $100 off normal pricing I've seen for months.

I'm thinking the P226 X-Five comes next. I'm just not sold on the 1911. Too much customization points for a neophyte to just plunk into without knowledge. The Colt "Lite" might come home soon though. I am just not 100% on the idea yet.

This has been a wealth of information though. Thank you all! Pics of the new purchases when in. Thanks!

That’s good, you’ll be able to do your own comparison then with basically all of them at the same time. It’s not cheap but I’ve done that before and I’ve enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkCO

Thinking i want a 9mm 1911. But know not what to get. Price is up to $1,500. Fine if lower. Purpose is pure range target shooting. Not going to do any work on it. Maybe want a sharp looker in stainless just for care ease. 5" assumed, but would take feedback on why not smaller.

I went on the same quest last month. Neck/Disc nerve pain issues got me to take a look at getting a few firearms ready for old age. :eek: Reconfigured a few rifles and then got to work looking for a 9mm 1911. I shot several, fondled even more and settled on a Bul Armory Government. Got it last week and the dealer was so impressed he got in line to be a Bul dealer.

The photo is the first 5 rounds down the pipe. It is a shooter. I don't think anything beats it until you get past $1500, and I picked mine up for $800. Very impressed with the quality and accuracy. I ordered a stainless ambi safety, but I don't think I am even going to put it on.

Attachments

• First 5 Bul.jpg
    First 5 Bul.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 71

Crankylove

I picked up a 5” RIA in 9mm a few weeks ago.

Wanted a .38 Super, but finding one around here was not working out. So I bought the 9mm, brought it home, and ordered a .38 Super barrel, spring, and mags for it.

Haven’t shot it in either configuration yet, but think the 9mm configuration will work well for the wife and kids. They really enjoy shooting my Hipower, so maybe if this is available, I’ll be able to shoot my Hipower again.

RickB

If you have a dozen 1911s already and want to complete your collection, a 9mm 1911 is just the thing.
For a first 1911, definitely not.
It would be like asking if a 1974, 175hp Corvette should be your introduction to the type?