9mm 1911. What do you all say?

jar

For 1911s I prefer the 45acp. For 9mm Luger I seem to carry one of my early all metal S&Ws, either my 59 or the 469. If I was SA and cocked & locked I tend to go towards one of the P-35 versions.

saleen322

We have a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. The RO was a good prince and I was thinking about getting a 38 Super barrel for it as well. CDNN had Sig 38 Super barrels for cheap so the Sig barrel, a fitted bushing, and barrel link yielded a 38 Super that was markedly more accurate than the 9mm. The RO 9mm shoots good but we have a US Sig P210, a Smith 952, and a Berretta 92 I put together for EIC matches with a KKM barrel that will all outshoot the 9mm RO. Not that the RO is not good, you just have to keep it in perspective.

Jim Watson

there’s a good reason why bullseye shooters don’t shoot nines

What is that reason?

But they do. It is kind of a narrow niche, the CMP Excellence In Competition match for service pistols. It used to be just 1911s, then they admitted the Beretta, now it seems like about anything will fly.

we have a US Sig P210, a Smith 952, and a Berretta 92 I put together for EIC matches

Not often seen in NRA National Match events, where a 9mm would compete only in Centerfire, leaving you to have to provide a .45 for Bigbore as well as a .22 Smallbore. Most shooters these days just shoot the .45 twice. The old custom of .22, .38, and .45 seems to have faded out.

One step out of bullseye, there are a lot of good 9mms shot in PPC.

I think a 9mm Glock 19 that holds 15+1 with an empty weight of around 20 ounces makes a lot more sense. As much as I love the 1911 platform there's just no reason - other than "want" to carry an all-steel pistol that weighs twice as much, holding half as many shots when each shot of 9mm is on par with the .45 in terms of ballistic power. Having said that, I don't even carry a G19 in 9mm, mine is .22 TCM9R/5.56x24! See pics.

I also think a 1911 chambered in .460 Rowland with 8+1 or 10+1 capacity makes a lot of sense versus the anemic .45 ACP cartridge. The 1911 .460R gives me almost double the capacity of a .44 magnum revolver with each shot delivering the same energy - around 1.3 kilojoules which is well above the "true magnum power" floor of one kilojoule. While the first-line choice for field carry in bear country, the fact that it can be fired as fast and accurately as a .45 ACP also makes it excellent for dealing with two-legged predators.

Attachments

• G19 with 5.56 x 24.jpg
    G19 with 5.56 x 24.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 30
  • G19 c 5.56x24 Speer46JFP.jpg
    G19 c 5.56x24 Speer46JFP.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.56x24 c.jpg
    5.56x24 c.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

TunnelRat

I think a 9mm Glock 19 that holds 15+1 with an empty weight of around 20 ounces makes a lot more sense. As much as I love the 1911 platform there's just no reason - other than "want" to carry an all-steel pistol that weighs twice as much, holding half as many shots when each shot of 9mm is on par with the .45 in terms of ballistic power. Having said that, I don't even carry a G19 in 9mm, mine is .22 TCM9R/5.56x24! See pics.

I don’t think the OP is planning to carry this. They just want a pistol with a nice trigger for target shooting.

MarkCO

I’m debating picking up one of their 2011 variants. How do you find the fit and finish? I hear nothing but good things about their triggers.
It's pretty good. Better than anything else in the under $1K 1911 market. It is not as good as my DW Razorback or Custom 1911 based on a CMC frame and slide.

wild cat mccane

I've been looking for them for a while.

Am I doing something wrong on gun.deals to search Bul Armory or are they pretty much at location buying only?

Occasionally their $800 commander pops up, so I know they are in the gun.deals system...but never their other stuff?

TunnelRat

bedbugbilly

Always enjoy the controversy of 1911ers over 9mm & 45 - sorry, had to poke the bear.

For the die hard 45acp clan . . . . let's not forget that Colt made some 1911s in 9mm to submit for arms testing for adoption in hopes of winning a contract . . . .yea, we adopted the 45 but they must have seen some worthiness in the 9mm to possibly help fill their coffers. If the foreign government had accepted the 1911 in 9mm . . . . sort of makes one wonder if there would be the controversy over it in today's world?

micromontenegro

I've had 1911s in 9mm and didn't like them. There's too much wasted real estate. A 1911 scaled-down to 9mm, as Spingfield tried to make, seems like a good idea to me, but I have never even seen one, so probably not a commercial success.

I guess the 1911 of 9 milimeters is the Browning HP after all.

TunnelRat

I've had 1911s in 9mm and didn't like them. There's too much wasted real estate. A 1911 scaled-down to 9mm, as Spingfield tried to make, seems like a good idea to me, but I have never even seen one, so probably not a commercial success.

I guess the 1911 of 9 milimeters is the Browning HP after all.

I have owned a number of Hi Powers. I never liked any of them as much as the 1911.

MarkCO

I have owned a number of Hi Powers. I never liked any of them as much as the 1911.

Ditto. All gone. But I bet I add another 9mm 1911 before the year is out.

I have a long slide 40 1911, but the rest have all been 10mm or .45 until this Bul, which has won me over for sure.

Hellcat1

I'm certainly loving my 9mm 1911!

full

Frank