9mm 1911. What do you all say?

TunnelRat

With all the better 9mm out there, why a 1911 that the design is obsoleted. Just for the old time sake?

I still have the Gold Cup and I did accurizing on it, how can one compare the design with the modern 9mm?!! Single action only, single stack mag, heavy steel frame, small ejector port, two piece feedramp.............WHY?

I have a glock 26, how can you compare the design, reliability and even longivity.....and the weight!!!!

Because they might enjoy shooting a 9mm 1911 more. I have and have had a number of Glocks. I still carry Glocks mostly. I also own 1911s. If it’s just for the range I’d rather shoot the 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan0354

Yes, for range. For self defense and CCW, no. My Gold Cup is very accurate, that's for sure.

For 1911, I stay with 45 as the bullets are too big for double stacking even if they are available( do they? I don't know).

Alan0354 said:
For 1911, I stay with 45 as the bullets are too big for double stacking even if they are available( do they? I don't know).
Apparently you are not familiar with Para-Ordnance, STI, Rock Island Armory, or Caspian Arms. They all make (or made -- Para was purchased by Remington and then killed off) double stack 1911s in .45 ACP.

Limnophile

The best noncustom 1911s are made by Dan Wesson. Their Pointman 9 runs $1,700:

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/pointman-nine-pm-9/

Have your wife work an extra 2 hr to scratch up the $200 above your target price.

The Pointman series is built for the range, with an adjustable target rear sight and fiber optic front. Its forged slide has our inverted top rib running between the sights to reduce glare, and has front and rear cocking serrations to enable easy manipulation.

The forged, stainless steel frame has an undercut trigger guard for optimal hand placement on the pistol and 25 LPI front strap checkering to hold it firmly in place without being too harsh. Flats on this pistol are soft brushed while the rounds are bead blasted, giving a nice contrast. Double diamond cocobolo grips finish it off, for a 1911 that is range and competition ready.

oughtsix

I own four 1911's. You won't get any arguments from me that 1911's in .45acp are excellent guns. I own 2 and love them. My favorite 1911 is a Browning 1911-380 though. I can shoot it for hours if my ammo doesn't run out.

I just picked up a used RIA double stack 9mm/22tcm combo for $425 last weekend. I have always wanted one and as much as I love my 45's and 380 a 9mm 1911 just seemed natural with the 22 tcm being a bonus. I have not had a chance to take it out and shoot it yet. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

I am pretty sure the 9mm/22tcm combo is no longer available as a package any more. I was happy to find the factory package so I didn't have to worry about fitting the extra barrel to the slide.

I have owned my Beretta 92 INOX for 30 years now and it is a great pistol but it isn't quite as a natural extension of my hand that the 1911's are. My biggest complaint about my Beretta 92 is the front sight being milled into the slide. I would be much happier with fiber optic 3 dot sights like my 1911's have and new double stack 1911 will have. I believe the new Beretta 92's no longer have the front sight milled into the slide like mine does... making changing sights much easier.

Carriertxv

I cant find Bac's famous 1911 Buyers Guide...but maybe want an updated opinion
from him/you all.

Thinking i want a 9mm 1911. But know not what to get. Price is up to $1,500. Fine if lower. Purpose is pure range target shooting. Not going to do any work on it. Maybe want a sharp looker in stainless just for care ease. 5" assumed, but would take feedback on why not smaller.

The Spingfield Range Officer got replaced by the Roni and Garrison.

Colt, S&W? RIA currently is too high for their normally priced tactical-so not wanting that.

best value for the dollar while being a non comp but shot pretty often. What do you all recommend to this neophyte? Thank you!
The only 1911 I have in 9mm is a Shooter Arms. I’ve lost count of how many but have shot 1000’s of rounds through it. Had a little issue with brass coming straight back at first but tweaking with extractor fixed that.
If you want one then get one and don’t worry about the naysayers. A 1911 in 9mm is really a pleasant gun to shoot.

JJ45

I have only two 1911s both .45s (have a P97 in 45 also). I also own a 9mm autoloader and have previously owned several of both calibers. Besides 45 and 9mm I have revolvers and autos in 45 Colt, 38/357, 9X18, 7.62 Nagant, 22RF and 22 Mag.

The consensus seems to be "pleasant gun to shoot" etc. I have never shot a full size 1911 in 9mm but I can imagine a soft shooter and consequently easy to shoot well...but so is a .22 RF auto pistol and considerably cheaper to shoot, easy to store large quantities of ammo, easy to shoot often enough to work on skills, etc, etc.

All the handguns I own, whether centerfire or rimfire, serve a purpose other than being just "range toys" Of course whatever makes a shooter happy is OK by me, to each his own.

ChimpMunk20

Springfield Loaded or R.O. are great options if you want to stick with the 1911. However, your brother-in-law has it right with the CZ75 - they are fantastic 9mm pistols. The Sig 2022 is very good too, however, if you want to go a step above and beyond in the high-cap world, then look at the 226 Legion SAO. Berettas aren't my cup of tea, so I can't speak to those. The ones I've mentioned I have personal experience with. None will let you down.

Side note: Wife shoots a 9mm R.O. on occasion - no issues whatsoever. However, once she got her hands on the Legion, that was it.

Sgt127 said:
I picked up an EMP4 a few years ago. Just an outstanding little pistol.
See post #17 in this thread.

The EMP that I reviewed was a delightful pistol to shoot, and sized nicely for concealed carry. My opinion, though, was that the price was unrealistically high for what you get. When I took into consideration that a very large number of parts, both internal and external, are not standard 1911 parts (as a result of the shortened frame and slide), the combination of sole source for parts, lack of parts options, and price made the EMP look rather unattractive as a choice for purchase.

For someone who knows they will never have any interest in modifying the pistol -- and who can afford the price of admission -- I think the EMP is a good choice. For those of us who like to tinker -- it's not a good choice.

Sgt127

All I did to my EMP was install a single side lowered and extended thumb safety.

That’s really all I thought needed.

So, the “Tinkerabilty” concern was quite low.

wild cat mccane

Op back:

Coming back to it and looking heavily at the Colt "lite" right now.

On paper it appears the same as the $500 increased non "lite" but doesn't have two cuts on the bottom of the grip...Barrel same, grips same, sights same...

However! I was extremely burned by the Colt Python online reviews and found that none of them could be true with my experience being more accurate.

So if anyone has experience with the Colt or the Roni/EMP/Ranger Officer as a "target" worthwhile range gun, I'd really appreciate it.

Also equally looking at the Sig P210.

Both of these options are range fun.

Vapid, but I hate both "gold" as a color and "cup" as a trophy. So that the Colt slide reads Gold Cup with then a picture of a trophy. ugh....it's a mental struggle to like it :D

Last edited: