9mm 1911. What do you all say?

highpower3006

Seem like there always has to be at least one 1911 hater that just can't resist posting doesn't it?

On the other hand, I love 1911's and currently have 14 of them, all in .45. I have shot one in 9mm and it was a very soft shooting pistol. I don't have any custom 1911's in my hoard, so I can't speak on the merits of one maker over the other.

But....My personal opinion is that it would be best to buy an inexpensive one and see if you like a 1911 in 9mm. I have had a couple of Rock Island's over the years and they are an excellent gun. Mine have been as solid as could be and were pretty accurate for a box stock, inexpensive gun.

This one looks interesting for under $600 and they have others that have more features. I have been thinking about getting one of these, but I have to wait to recover financially from recent gun purchases.
https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/rock-standard-fs-9mm-10rd

kymasabe

I think 9mm 1911 is a great idea.
I'd be looking at Springfield, possibly Taurus (but I hate Taurus so that'd be a hard buy for me to make), RIA, or...the Springfield SA-35 sure is pretty !!
I had a Para Ordnance 9mm years ago that I wish I'd kept, was a great gun. Ignore those .45/10mm guys, a 9mm 1911 is a ton of fun!
I had an opportunity to shoot a friends Staccato 2011 and wow, that thing'll make you wet yourself (for $4500 it damn well better!).

JJ45

My two 1911s are 45s, Colt and Springfield but I have been seriously considering a Tisas 1911 in 9mm.
Almost all the reviews on these Turk pistols are positive and they are ridiculously cheap for a 1911!

The GI and Tanker models are 70 series and have forged steel frames and slides. Probably small parts are mostly MIM but I don't know this for sure. With the profusion of quality 1911 parts this is no problem since they are copies of the 1911A1 probably all parts will interchange. All 1911 mags are definitely compatible.

They also make a "Carry" model with ambi safety, better sights, beaver tail MSH, etc I don't like ambi safeties but again an easy fix.

Nathan

TunnelRat said:
If you find a new production Dan Wesson in stock for below the $1500 price given here please let us all know. I like Dan Wessons, but the prices of them that I’ve seen lately would seem to suggest they’re not the best kept secret anymore.

I agree. Maybe a new old stock off Gunbroker??

jar

If I want a single action 9mm I will pick a P35/GP/HiPower over the 1911 platform every time. It's another inspired design but designed for the 9mm Luger cartridge; perfect balance, a natural pointer, very controllable and I carry mine with 15 round magazines.

My Browning and FEG ones have gone on to Forever Homes but lately I've been carrying either my FM M95-Classic or my Arcus M94.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Model-94.jpg
    Model-94.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 540

TunnelRat

I have owned a number of Hi Powers and a few 1911s. While I like the ergonomics of the Hi Power, I have yet to own a Hi Power where the trigger was in the same league as a 1911. If the pistol in question is mainly going to be used at the range for target shooting and capacity isn’t a concern then I think a 9mm 1911 makes sense.

I have seen a number of videos that have been positive about BUL Armory 1911s and I have read positive reviews as well, though I’ve yet to see one in person. They do have 9mm options that show up pretty frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetinteriorguy

Not to discourage getting a 1911 in 9mm since I really like mine, but I also have a FEG version of a HiPower and love it too. After removing the mag disconnect contraption and just cleaning and polishing some parts it has a great trigger even though it’s not the same as a 1911. But handling and balance wise is where it outshines the 1911. You’d have a hard time believing it’s an all steel gun when you pick it up, but when you pick up my RIA 1911 it feels like a tank. The HiPower design just has a svelt feeling to it. The only drawback to the FEG is the sights aren’t super, but I’ve found them adequate enough to hit what I’m aiming at.

44 AMP

Staff
Despite being a huge 1911A1 fan, I see no point to one in 9mm Luger. Now, that being said, "I want one" is a valid reason to get one. :D

If memory serves correctly, I don't think Colt offered the 9mm Luger until the Commander, and I don't think full size Govt Models came along until some time after that.

If you're looking for a service class pistol and it has to be a 9mm, and you're fond of the 1911 type guns, I'd look at the new SA-35 Hi Power. Friend of mine has one, and its everything a Hi Power should be and none of what isn't needed. And the price is good (IF you can find one for sale at close to MSRP)

If you're looking for a range gun, why choose a 1911 pattern 9mm?

IF you're invested in the 9mm, have other pistols for it, and just want a 1911 type gun to shoot 9mm ammo, fine, go for it, and enjoy! Otherwise, I just wonder, why???

mrray13

I’ve been thinking of a 9mm 1911, commander sized and bob tailed, just because.

Of course another .45 wouldn’t be frowned upon.

wbw

Check out Bul Armory. I've never owned one but when I've played with one in the GS I was very impressed. Very slick. Excellent trigger.

Willie Lowman

Another vote for CZ rather than a 1911. I have a CZ TS2 that I have been shooting for a couple years. I sold my 1911 and most of my Glocks because the CZ is such a nicer gun.

The TS2 is very accurate, has 20 round mags, and most of all a fantastic SAO trigger from the factory.

brownndown

1911 in 9mm

I’ve owned 2 colt , 1 springfield armory and 1 kimber .45 1911s , and got a springfield EMP 4 about 6 months ago and I love it, wanted a 9 mm because ammo is cheaper and I already have 1.5 k rounds of it. Mine has been flawless and very accurate. Yes it has some parts that are not standard size 1911. But I don’t think any body will say springfield doesn’t know about 1911 s they just scaled down some parts to 9mm size, and they have all parts for it. The most notable difference is the grip frame is about a quarter inch less front to back. And I have found only 2 companies making aftermarket grips. But the wooden grips that come on it are great. I will probably get a set of VZ grips just to change the look every once in a while

bamaranger

9mm

Given the popularity of the 9mm ctg overall these days, a 1911 so chambered is likely the way of the future. Ken Hackathorne and Bill Wilson have a Youtube video on the very subject. What you get is a heavy, single stack (10+1) but VERY mild shooting platform with a good trigger. The 5" bbl. of the gov"t model gets about all you can get from the 9mm ctg velocity wise. I know of one shooter in my circle of friends who has shot IDPA for several years with just such an arrangement and has done quite well.

Watson where are you?

wild cat mccane

Yeah...it seems like the Colt Gold Cup Light and regular are regarded as good to go...but the price is creeping up to something special. Maybe going to investigate the EMP and the Roni more. I don't mind that the EMP is custom to Springfield.

If it's not going to be magic in shooting, I'm thinking this won't align with the years of hearing about how great the 1911 can be. This might be my own fault for looking for one in 9mm. Totally get that.

I'm on the hunt for a Sig P226 X-Five and/or X-Six. Looking good at the P210. I'll need more dream team assembly for which CZ TS0/TS2/S2/S2 special is going to do it for me. I posted here a long while ago the SP-01 didn't do anything for me, but I know these are different beasts.

Finally, just won a PPQ Q5 steel frame. Don't know why the Pro goes for 1,700 when all it comes with extra is a $50 mag well and the same number of mags just in 17rnd vs 15rnd. 17rnd will fit this one too. Going to put the Dynamic Trigger in this metal Q5. So that will be better...
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/942465207

Adventuring on...maybe not with a 1911 9mm though. Going deep in the steel frames right now. So thank you for all your feedback!

AustinTX

You should seek feedback on 9mm 1911s on the two main 1911-focused forums, IMO. I don't think you're getting the best info here.

I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone whose numerous 1911s are all chambered in .45 ACP. While 9mm is my favorite caliber, I just can't quite make myself buy a 1911 in 9mm. I haven't even been able to talk myself into getting one in .38 Super yet, although I keep telling myself I will eventually.

That said, there is nothing wrong with 1911s in 9mm. The received wisdom about reliability issues with 9mm is beyond stale at this point and derives from former issues that have been non-issues for a long time. Manufacturers addressed these problems years ago.

As to the "why" of a 9mm in 1911, I really don't understand the confusion. A quality 1911 in 9mm is an incredibly sweet shooter -- so much so that shooting one has almost been enough for me to overcome my peculiar aversion to owning a 1911 in anything but its original chambering. (This hang-up of mine goes beyond just the 1911, by the way.) I'm fortunately not yet of the age and/or physical condition where heavier recoil causes me any physical discomfort, but the soft shooting characteristics of the 1911 in 9mm are appealing to many folks who want to shoot 1911s but who can't tolerate recoil as well as they used to. Ask Bill Wilson, Ken Hackathorn, and numerous other big names in the 1911 world which caliber they spend the most time shooting in 1911s these days. Plenty of other people just enjoy the fact that an all-steel 1911 makes the hottest 9mm SD rounds feel more or less like powder-puff target loads. OP, I suggest you pay a visit to 1911addicts and talk with (or read the comments of) the numerous 1911 fanatics who shoot everything from stock Colt and DW 9mm 1911s to various semi-custom 9mm 1911s to five-figure 9mm 1911s from the most highly regarded custom 'smiths. You'll get better information, and I think you'll see that whatever concerns you have are essentially unfounded in 2022.

By the way, I find the constant exhortations to "just get a Hi-Power" when anyone asks about 9mm 1911s to be beyond grating and irritating. They aren't even close to the same gun. ("Just get a P210" would at least make somewhat more sense, despite the P210 also being a very different design.) I love (Browning/FN) Hi-Powers for their elegance and historical pedigree, but there's nothing special about them at all as shooters or from a build-quality standpoint. The stock triggers are bad to terrible (and removing the mag disconnect alone doesn't come close to making the trigger good), the accuracy is generally unremarkable, and they're not particularly durable (especially the old forged-frame versions). None of that is the case with a higher-quality 1911. I imagine people reflexively say "just get a Hi-Power" due to the JMB connection, but I just find that grating and irritating on another level, since JMB wasn't even the primary designer of what ended up as the BHP.

Last edited:

rc

If you get a 9mm 1911, the springfield is picky on hard primers due to the titanium firing pins. You'll get light strikes on stuff like Turkish 9mm. Kimbers with firing pin block and steel firing pin don't have that issue. I would think colts would be fine too. The problem with 9mm is not that it won't work in full size 1911s, it's just not as reliable over the full range of loads as 45 acp in the platform due to the shorter length than the gun was really designed to feed. 38 super and 45 acp are about the same length.

Alan0354

With all the better 9mm out there, why a 1911 that the design is obsoleted. Just for the old time sake?

I still have the Gold Cup and I did accurizing on it, how can one compare the design with the modern 9mm?!! Single action only, single stack mag, heavy steel frame, small ejector port, two piece feedramp.............WHY?

I have a glock 26, how can you compare the design, reliability and even longivity.....and the weight!!!!