Smith and Wesson serial number search

laytonj1

38 S&W Safety Hammerless 5th model went from 1907 at serial# 220000 to 1940 at serial# 261495.
Sorry, can't get any closer for DOB.

Jim

forrestergreen

need assistance on a date

I recently aquired what appears to be an older stainless steel .38 sw ctg with a sn of 538###. I've looked at several pictures but nothing matches this revolver. Any help would be wonderful.

carguychris

I recently aquired what appears to be an older stainless steel .38 sw ctg with a sn of 538###. I've looked at several pictures but nothing matches this revolver.
First, if it's an older S&W and it's shiny, it's nickel finish, not stainless. AFAIK S&W has not made any factory SS revolvers chambered in .38S&W.

Second, S&W made 3 different models of .38S&W revolvers with different serial number ranges. We need to determine the model first. The candidates are:

1) .38/32 Terrier aka Model 32: 1-7/8" barrel, round butt, I-frame or J-frame (small) w/ 1-1/4" long 5-shot cylinder. (Just as a sidenote, I think it's amusing that the S&W Model 32 is not a .32 but rather a .38. :rolleyes: )

2) .38 Regulation Police aka Model 33: >3" barrel, I-frame or J-frame w/ 1-1/4" long 5-shot cylinder; older pre-numbered versions are easy to identify because of (a) distinctive wood stocks that cover lower half of backstrap (which has a small "shoulder" in it where the stocks fit) and (b) the words "Regulation Police" stamped into LH side of barrel. Later model-numbered guns don't have RP lettering and special stocks but should have square butt... except when they don't. :rolleyes:

3) .38/200 British Service Revolver aka Victory Model: 4", 5", or 6" barrel, K-frame (medium) with 1-1/2" long 6-shot cylinder, should have "V" prefix in front of serial number.

laytonj1

Hi,
Might you help me with BRK 65xx a Model 66

and S 2055xx a 357 Blackhawk?

Many Thanks.

1994 on the S&W.
I can't find any Rugers with a serial number of S 2055xx. Is it a limited edition/special run of some type??

Jim

Wolf Catcher

S&W dates of Manufacture

Hi, I have a couple of older S&W's that I would really like to know when they were made.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. S&W .32 Safety Hammerless First Model serial # 77,40x.

2. S&W .357 Magnum Post-War (pre model 27) serial # S829xx.

3. S&W model 42 serial # 124xx flat latch pre"J" prefix.

4. S&W model 29-2 serial # N4538xx.

5. S&W model 41 serial # A5728xx.

laytonj1

1. S&W .32 Safety Hammerless First Model serial # 77,40x.

2. S&W .357 Magnum Post-War (pre model 27) serial # S829xx.

3. S&W model 42 serial # 124xx flat latch pre"J" prefix.

4. S&W model 29-2 serial # N4538xx.

5. S&W model 41 serial # A5728xx.

1. Serial numbers run 1 to 91417 from 1888 to 1902.
2. 1951/52
3. Serial numbers run 1 to 30160 from 1952 to 1971
4. 1977/78
5. 1979

Close as I can get.
Jim

Wolf Catcher

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the work.

I was really hoping to find out if the # 1. S&W .32 Safety Hammerless First Model serial # 77,40x was an antique / made in 1898 or before. Is there any way to tell ???

Does it help if you have the other digits for the # 2. S&W .357 Magnum Post-War (pre model 27) serial # S829xx = S82985 = 1952 ???

And the # 4. S&W model 29-2 serial # N4538xx. = N453816 = 1977 ???

And the # 3. S&W model 42 serial # 124xx flat latch pre"J" prefix has the 4 screw sidplate. Does that help ???

Thanks for any assistance. It is really difficult compared to some other manufacturers.

laytonj1

I was really hoping to find out if the # 1. S&W .32 Safety Hammerless First Model serial # 77,40x was an antique / made in 1898 or before. Is there any way to tell ???

Does it help if you have the other digits for the # 2. S&W .357 Magnum Post-War (pre model 27) serial # S829xx = S82985 = 1952 ???

And the # 4. S&W model 29-2 serial # N4538xx. = N453816 = 1977 ???

And the # 3. S&W model 42 serial # 124xx flat latch pre"J" prefix has the 4 screw sidplate. Does that help ???
The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson list serial numbers blocks by the years that S&W used them. S&W would make a large run of frames but not use them all up for anywhere from a few weeks to several years. Sometimes a frame with a later serial number would be assembled and shipped before an earlier serial numbered frame. The only way to get an exact date is to get a letter from S&W, which cost about $30 and can be done through their web site. Even then your getting the date it was shipped, not necessarily when it was made.
In the case of your M42, the 4 screw side plate was deleted in 1955 so that narrows it to 1952 to 1955.

Jim

ABEHE3EP

You all seem pretty informed. I recently obtained a Smith & Wesson 32 Double Action, tip up revolver (1880 to 1919). It is nickel finish with Mother of Pearl grips (grips have brass S&W logos). The seriel number is 2318XX. This is the only S&W I own and if I'm going to spend $35 to buy the book, I'd rather spend $30 to get the Letter of Authenticity from S&W. But first I would like to know which century it was made in. Any volunteers willing to help.

Thanks

carguychris

I recently obtained a Smith & Wesson 32 Double Action, tip up revolver (1880 to 1919). It is nickel finish with Mother of Pearl grips (grips have brass S&W logos). The seriel number is 2318XX.
If it's double action, then it's not a tip-up, it's a top-break. The terminology is confusing because the cylinder of a top-break does indeed tip up; however, on a proper S&W tip-up, the muzzle end of the barrel tips up. The hinge is located above the forcing cone. FWIW the tip-ups were all SA, and the .32-caliber variants fired the now-obsolete .32 Rimfire cartridge.

Now about that top-break... ;)

If it has an external hammer, it's a .32 Double Action 4th Model, built 1883-1909. If it has a concealed hammer and a grip safety, it's a .32 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model, built 1909-1937; this gun was also known as a New Departure, or a "Lemon Squeezer" in popular slang. :)

As with other S&Ws dating from this time period, they were often built out of serial number order, so the only way to verify the actual age is to get a letter.

huey148

old Chiefs Special?

Hi, new to the forums, great stuff here.

I just picked up an older S&W .38 what I believe is a chiefs special. I ran it down to my local gun store and was told it was at least 50 years old and too hang onto it. The serial is 86XX. It still has the old style flat cylinder latch on it, which is a mild pain to use. I need to get it to a gunsmith this weekend to check it out. The double action sticks sometimes and I want to see if it has been pieced together internally. It is nickel finished. Paid $150 at a pawnshop for it. Did I get a good deal?

Last edited:

gunny3333

Model 37?

I have been given what was identified as a "Model 37". The s/n is BPH5XXX. It seems to be a lightweight gun but does not have "Airweight" or "Lightweight" on it anywhere. The finish is blue, but not the shiny blue I see on most Model 37's advertised for sale.

I have attached some pictures.

Can anyone help me with what model this gun is and when it was made?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: