Smith and Wesson serial number search

laytonj1

Their serial numbering system- or, more specifically prior to March 1984, their lack of a consistent system- would foul any attempt to publish a "readily available" index. The numbers are just too mixed up.

Huh????
As was already mentioned earlier in the thread.... The serial numbers/dates are readily available by purchasing a Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson which is now on it's third addition. Available at any better book store.

Jim

FLYLOCK

This has the number 11398 stamped on the bottom of the grip frame or butt, as well as under the barrel and on the cylinder where you load in the cartridges. I'm not sure of the model. measuring the barrel it is actually slightly less than 4". I bought this quite a few years ago and have fired it a few times. It my favorite revolver.

Last edited by a moderator:

brentfoto

.38 M&P hand ejector

.38 M&P hand ejector, 5-screw, Square Butt, nickel-plated. Shoots .38 special.

Hand is free-floating in trigger, tensioned by mechanism in the sideplate. Yoke will not freely separate from cylinder as in newer S&W's.
This is probably a K-frame or predecessor to it.

Serial number is 540###.

Response much appreciated..
image0002-6.jpg

image0001-9.jpg

image0008-1.jpg

image0007-2.jpg

image0003-4.jpg

Last edited:

Hammer It

This has the number 11398 stamped on the bottom of the grip frame or butt, as well as under the barrel and on the cylinder where you load in the cartridges.

Hello
I Believe it is a Pre-15 which is called a Combat Masterpiece. The serial number you gave Points to a serial of around 1947 but they did not make this Model until 1949. I suspect you forgot to add the K-Prefix that should be in front of the serial number ? If it is from that time span, it may have been a Pre-serial numbered frame used for your revolver that shipped Later. The Model 15 as it is known after 1957 when S&W assigned model numbers in the crane area, is a 4" Barrel version of the Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece. This model shown is called the Combat Masterpiece because it has a Baughman quick draw front sight blade, and the shorter 4" Barrel. It is a Five screw gun so that tells me it is before 1956-1958 Era. It has the small cylinder extractor common with Post War revolvers and a Four Line address that started after 1947. It is in very nice shape and The Five screw configuration makes it Heavily sought after by Collectors. I hope this Helps, Hammer It

Hammer It

Serial number is 540###.

Hello
From the serial number you gave, This revolver appears to be from around 1903-1904.I Know it is Before 1905 as it has the Older style Sear. I hope this Helps, Hammer It

Last edited:

kamerer

I am not sure about the internals, but I would have thought the one line address on the side (introduced in 1921 or 22 I was told) and the high serial number 540,xxx would put it in the 1930s. Was there something weird about the early s/n's that were way out of sequence?

Bones507

I had picked up a used model 19 about 4 months ago, shoots very nicely i might add. I had no idea when it was manuafactured so i e mailed Smith and Wesson and they got back to me in 3 days saying it was made in 1983. I was surprised as its in good shape but especially so for being that old.
Must have been owned by a little old lady from Passadena !!:p

brentfoto

Thanks Hammer It and Kamerer.

The only other information that I have is that someone posted on another forum that it was circa 1927, a M&P, but never revealed his source.

My only resource book is The Official Gun Digest Book of Guns and Prices 2007and it appears that it's called a "Hand Ejector Model of 1905, 4th change", with that serial number. But I am not sure of this source at all, but it would be consistent with the other poster because book says this was the largest run, and was from 1915 to 1942, with serial numbers from 241704 to 1000000. Of course, the date of manufacture for 540### is not indicated. And I might have the wrong model gun.

Anyway, I just placed an order with Amazon for the S&W Catalogue by Supica, etc. I don't know if it will help but I want the book anyway.

Any additional or other input would be appreciated.

Dispatch

Model 19

Im trying to get some information a gun I acquired from my old boss. I called S&W and they said it was a model 19-3. Its the only gun I have. serial number is 8K49xxx.

Thanks for any information you can give me

Andy W

I would like to know the approximate date for old M&P 38 spl square butt #
17xxx if someone wouldn't mind looking it up.

Thanks.

Hammer It

Hey Guys
What Ya'll need is a copy of The Standard Catalog of S&W's by Supica & Nahas. it is an excellent reference book and less than a box of shells. I have all three additions and if you only have ONE S&W revolver you should not be without it. You Guys are wearing me and my Book out looking up all your revolvers here..They are Cheap, Get ya one..Here is a Link to one. :rolleyes: Hammer It

http://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-Catalo...6471QQihZ002QQcategoryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ

kamerer

Brentfoto - The other source could be correct. He/she could own one with a similar s/n and have had it "lettered" from the factory to find the ship date. 1927 sounds as good an estimate as you can get without a letter. I overlooked that your gun is very probably pre-1930, that exact type of ejector rod cap was changed that year. The Nahas/Supica book will not provide any more specific date for you, but will explain the changes in the model from 1899 to now. It is an excellent book you will enjoy even if it can't answer your specific question.

Andy W - your gun could have been made in 1900, 1942, 1948, or 1968. The serial numbers repeated, so without a picture to see details, or details described on it like earlier in this thread, it's not possible to say. Later guns will have a letter code a few places in front of the number, like "C 17862." Early guns will have the serial number repeated in multiple places - under the barrel, on the cylinder face, under the star, and on the butt. If it were of the earliest date, (1900) it would have a round butt, not a square.

tbuchanan

Help with serial number

I have just recently been left several firearms from a beloved Uncle. I'm having a little trouble finding information about one of the Smith & Wesson .357 revolvers. As this is my only SW, I don't want to have to buy the book, so can someone that already has the book help me narrow down the details that are available based upon this serial number (CHC3XXX)? I'm also trying to figure out if it is a "Performance" model. I can attach a photo if it will help. It has one of the most beautiful wood grips I've ever seen, but I don't know if it's original or not.

Many thanks,

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

kamerer

There's no way to say what kind of gun it is based on the serial number unless you pay the factory to check. That would be a fairly recent production gun, though. Almost any performance center gun would have that noted in a laser or roll mark on the barrel or frame. A picture would be a good place to start.