Smith and Wesson serial number search

dr_cerebro

It is a .38 caliber

This smith & wesson revolver is a .38 special caliber

The serial number is S 8551XX

Here are the pictures, in one of these you can see the serial number, in the cylinder

Last edited by a moderator:

laytonj1

This smith & wesson revolver is a .38 special caliber

The serial number is S 8551XX

Here are the pictures, in one of these you can see the serial number, in the cylinder

Ahh. You are correct. Pictures help alot. That would be a post war 38 Military and Police (K frame pre model 10) made between 1945 and 1948.

Jim

IronsMan

I've got an Airweight with SN 776Jxx that was willed to me. Can you give me a date, and specifically, what does the SN mean, i.e. 776, then a J, then two more numbers. Is there a pattern? Does the J denote "J" frame?

Thanks for the help and patience with a noob.

kamerer

I've got an Airweight with SN 776Jxx that was willed to me. Can you give me a date, and specifically, what does the SN mean, i.e. 776, then a J, then two more numbers. Is there a pattern? Does the J denote "J" frame?

The S/N means it was a J frame from 1971 or 72, probably 1972. The "J" in this case DOES mean it was a J frame, but that is not a standard thing in S&W numbers as, until 1980, different numbering schema were applied to different models.

IronsMan

Thanks kamerer!

What would one of these in excellent to like new condition be worth? Is being older worth anything?

Erik F

I acquired a S&W 67 today. It's a no-dash model, with the original stainless rear sights. Serial # sequence is 5K96XXX.

It looks as if it was fired and left in storage for quite some time without being cleaned. I've literally been peeling lead off it in spots. I gave very little for it, since the original owner didn't seem to care for it to any extent further than paying a few bills.

I should be able to bring it back to 90% or so, thankfully. Function was my main concern, and this gun looks to be the product of neglect rather than abuse. She'll be a shooter, anyhow.

Don't care what it's "worth," but if someone could let me know roughly when it might have been manufactured, I'd be much obliged!

calavera

38 S.&w Special Ctg

Can I have some help identifying this revolver? My grandfather gave it to me today, and I'm not very knowledgeable about guns in general. I've read quite a bit trying to identify it myself, but have not really been able to pin it down.

There is no model number when you slide open the cylinder, only an assembly number.

Serial Number: 630XXX

The finish is a darkish color... almost like dark tinted car windows.

I'm pretty sure it is a K frame from the stuff I have read.

Square butt.

5 screws (including the trigger guard screw and 1 under the grip).

The grip is wood with a diamond around the screw, and there's a silver S/W logo near the top.

There is no insignia above the grip on the right side of the gun, but there is a trademark S/W insignia on the left side above the grip.

5 inch barrel.

The top of the barrell has a patent inscription that says:
SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. U.S.A
PATENTED FEB.6.06,SEPT.14.09,DEC.29.14

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

kamerer

Ironsman - I'd guess one in that nice a shape should be worth $400 +/- a little bit. Sounds nice.

Erik - that dates to 1974. You can bring a SS gun back from any almost any condition, and restoring grips isn't hard, too, if they are intact and not gouged and chipped up.

calavera - sounds like a late '30s Military & Police model. A picture helps a lot if you can post one (use photobucket to host if you need to). Grips should be 1/2 round at the top, silver medallions inset into the 1/2 rounded area?

carguychris

calavera - sounds like a late '30s Military & Police model. A picture helps a lot if you can post one (use photobucket to host if you need to). Grips should be 1/2 round at the top, silver medallions inset into the 1/2 rounded area?
You should get a letter for this one. S&W handgun sales tanked during the Depression and they were able to produce several years' worth of M&Ps using frames they stockpiled during the 20s, but they did not pay attention to the serial numbers on the frames they were using, so the guns were not built in numerical order.

FWIW if you choose to shoot this one, don't feed it any ammo labeled "+P" or "+P+". This is higher-pressure ammo than normal .38 Special. Unlike postwar S&W products, these older guns were not made to withstand the higher pressure, and using +P ammo can blow them up. :(

calavera

Thank you kamerer and carguychris! I was pretty sure it was an M&P pre war, so it's good to hear someone confirm it. I'm charging the camera battery now and I'll post a picture later today!

Rich Miranda

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson

Does this contain a lot of high-quality pictures?

I would like to buy a nice S&W revolver, but I really don't know much about them. I could use the catalog as a buying guide (or a catalog, HA!).

kamerer

It is MASSIVELY and beautifully filled with photos. There is at least one photo per model, and usually more (or a few in one photo) since most models had different variants (barrels, grips, finishes, etc.) It is also a real bargain at Amazon.com and the like for what it is. I highly recommend it. It has the S/N codes in an appendix in the back, sections on all models up to 2005/6 - the last edition date (the current edition is #3, from 2006).