Ruger SR9 Owners

MikeO89

i wouldn't, just don't like the looks of it. additional mechanical parts are never good. KISS

So eliminating a safety is a good thing to you and KISS?

Safety on, trigger pull not possible with loaded round in chamber.

The "not needed" or "KISS" comment doesn't make much sense to me. The double trigger only prevents accidental discharge if dropped. Doesn't prevent other accidential trigger pulls like a safety would. I'm personally glad this gun has a real safety, especially since I own one. Nice to have the option. As far as I'm concerned, the only gun that doesn't really need a safety is a single action revolver like my 44 Super Blackhawk.

Last edited:

tcb100

I mentioned in another thread that my son just bought an SR9 and we took it to the range Sunday. Ate four different kinds of ammo without a hitch. And the thinness of the grip is terrific for small to medium hands.

I plan to have one for myself in the next few weeks. Excellent gun and I say that as a SIG owner. The price/value is unbeatable.

mlk18

The "not needed" or "KISS" comment doesn't make much sense to me

A lot of shooters prefer not to have levers that can "accidentally" take their weapons out of service if "inadvertently" switched to safe. I sold a Beretta 92F (safety) for that very reason and switched to a 92G (decock only, no safety). It's just a preference issue and the reason why you can buy a S&W M&P with or without a safety lever. The safety lever on the SR9 has been the main reason for my not buying one.

The KISS (keep it simple s...) comment is just that. The less moving parts, the fewer mechanisms the simpler it is and the less opportunity for something to go wrong.

baldeagle378

SR9 Kydex holster

I would heartily recommend Alabama Holster Co. They make excellent kydex holsters for a wide variety of handguns including the SR9. I have their pocket holster for my LCP and just ordered an inside the waist band holster for my new SR9.

Hoss Fly

Mine is pictured below :cool:
My wife (and I) love it so much the wifes SR9C is on the way to my local dealers as i type :D
BTW- ZERO problems & VERY accurate --------------

lll.jpg

Walt Sherrill

I've upgraded mine with the Ghost Inc. trigger -- and while it's still heavy (we didn't change any springs), it now breaks nearly as cleanly as a 1911. No grunge, no crap, etc. Real improvement!

I was going to do the upgrade myself until I read the AGI guide to the SR9 and then went through the very well-done Ghost Product instruction guide (on their website.) I decided the trigger assembly of the SR9 was too damned complex, with too many tiny grommets and springs and screws for me. Not nearly as simple as a glock, for example. So I paid my gunsmith to do it, but gave him all of the reading materials and instructions. He said the materials kept him from learning some things the hard way .

JCR575

Go Green !!!

I'm into the green. I love my SR9 , great shooter , no problems , several hundred rounds , thinking about the P345

Attachments

• ruger sr9 w laser 330-65435.jpg
    ruger sr9 w laser 330-65435.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

sparky07

SR9 - love it

Hey there.. I got my SR9 as my first gun. Best thing I could ever have done.
I have had it for about 7mo now.
I got in on the green laser deal.. what a sweet laser. Great for training.
As a female with small hands and stature, I find the grip very comfortable.
It is just the right size width and length for my short stubby fingers.
I never had any issues with the trigger. It has been smooth the whole time.
I have about 700 rounds through it at this point and it gets better with age.
I purchased the cop slot and a shoulder holster from galco and I love them. The cop slot fits my curves just right too.
For you guys out there.. finding a holster that does not dig into my ribs or hips is a challenge.
Another reason this is a great gun is that I am left handed and this gun is easy to work left or right handed.

I am looking at the SR9c for easier concealed carry.
I am one of the lucky CCW permit holders in NY, so I am considering the smaller one.

MikeO89

I recently bought a Glock 17 (3rd gen). I take both it and my SR9 out almost every weekend. Nice shooting both and experiencing the little differences between them. I couldn't picture having two nicer guns than these. Of course I'm partial to 9mm, just fun to shoot and reload for. I wouldn't trade or sell either but if I had to keep only one, it would be the Glock. The Glock gets knocked by some for the grip but I find it better feeling than the SR9, it just fits my hand better and I aim better with it. For me the Glock has a bit more of a quality feel, dunno maybe it's just me. I like the take down better on the Glock and I can comfortable take it completely apart. I can't say the same for the SR9. I'll go so far tearing it down but not all the way. The Glock has much more parts available for it than the SR9. I've already put an extended slide release, an extended magazine release and a magazine well on mine. Got it just the way I want it now. Didn't bother with any trigger mods as I like both the Glock 17 and the SR9 triggers just fine the way they are. I've always read the criticisms of the trigger pulls with a shake of the head and a "whatever, feels fine to me". Both very nice guns.

mlwt

I recently purchased a SR9. I've run about 100 rds. through it, no problems. Sights were good, needed no adjustment. Very comfortable to shoot.
I just put a LaserLyte on it. Amy suggestions as to a holster that will accomodate the SR, now?

docpadds

Am up over 2000 rounds now through mine and never a jam, stovepipe or anything with it. It has improved in feel though even now its still quite tight! It is one of the most comfortable guns i have used and apart from my "Browning" days its been on my belt every day.

I have mine in the Don Hume OWB holster that was for my XD9sc and it fits great. There is a KHolster pancake now for it too.

FTLOSM

Picked up my SR9 on my birthday Jan 4th 2011.

Took a few pictures below are a few favs, and the full set it at my Flickr acct
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bills_d90/sets/72157625756730578/

5327860365_03e1a5134d.jpg

5327860063_bfea4d126c.jpg

5327860193_06cc712ec3.jpg

5328471156_7ce4c55f7f.jpg

So far so good, one outting with it 150 rounds thru it no problems, trigger was a bit weird first 30 rounds or so but seems to be smoother than it was at least at the start of the day. The slide was also tight day one but a good pre-cleaning and gun oil helped that before hitting the range.

So far so good tho!

I only wish Ruger had a 22 conversion for this one, save some $ on ammo...

Bill

Last edited:

Cory10/22

I just swapped some old (but not particularly valuable) shotguns in on a used SR9, made 12/09 I believe. I tried several different 9's looking for one I could teach the kids on after they master my MkII- they both are interested in police work. The Ruger just plain fit my big paw well, and after not shooting pistols for almost 20 years, I punched the center out of a target. Only other one I was happy with was the M&P9; I got this first and for $290. Looked unused. No problems so far, other than local availability of Speer Gold Dots for it. Looking for a decent holster although I don't see it being my primary carry gun. Thanks to all who have posted, I read a lot of forums before I bought.

-Cory

insaneranger

I just hit 4,000 rounds through my Gen.2 Olive Drab SR9 without a single FTF, FTE, jam, or malfuntion of any kind. These are extremely well built pistols.

004-24-1-1.jpg
005-18-1.jpg

003-17.jpg

002-18.jpg

005-3.jpg
007-11.jpg

Venom1956

It was my first handgun. I love almost everything about it except the trigger and the LCI... Grip, feel, looks, cap, Laser all are great. My Trigger is terrible very "crunchy" out past 25 yds it becomes a handicap, But newer models seem like they've sorted it out. A SR9c I looked at had a very nice trigger.

LCI just looks stupid I would remove it but I'm to busy.

Starfire

SR9 Pros and Cons

I just got (6 months ago) an SR9 as my first gun. Nothing to compare it to but my preconceived notions as to what a gun should be like. PROS: Overall I like it very much. It fits my hand so well that even though I wanted to get a Glock I couldn't put the Ruger down. I can operate the mag release AND the slide stop without changing my firing grip AT ALL. Makes malfunction clearing a breeze. At first I didn't like the LCI, now I love it. It makes press checking obsolete. Some of you will say you shouldn't rely on a mechanical device but I would argue that moving the slide and sticking a finger into the chamber (low light) is more problematical for the shooter. (I practice the press check anyway so if I ever have to shoot another gun. . .) Hey California law has produced at least 1 good thing. Probably the only thing related to guns. The striker indicator could be more noticeable and tactile though. In an ideal world the slide stop would be ambidextrous too. CONS. The thumb safety. On a striker fired gun they are not needed. But this safety makes racking the slide, with the thumb pointing towards you grip, an adventure in pain and blood. Of course you can learn to do it without cutting your hand but if SHTF I wouldn't count on it. [On a trip to Front Sight an experienced shooting instructor who was checking my weapon casually racked the slide and cut his hand.] The sights have a curved profile and take some getting use to. I prefer sights that are flat on top. The trigger was very gritty but after 1500 rounds smoothed out quite nicely. There were a lot of metal shavings in the striker channel until it smoothed out. Polishing might have sped up that process. Overall, while the gun is not perfect it is a great deal for the price.

Sgt.Fathead

I daily carry the SR9C and am more than pleased with it. I've owned about two dozen different handguns in the past twenty years. I tend to research the heck out of one before I buy it and the SR9C is no exception. I now have 2610 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. There's a set of night sights in my range bag awaiting installation and I'm still looking into getting a better holster (presently carrying in a Galco King Tuk designed for the Glock 19) and a laser/light. It is a great gun and I may well someday get it's older brother, too.

Now if Ruger would just make a 9mm carbine that took the same magazines like their old PC carbines with their P series pistols....