Ruger SR9 Owners

Conradm

How did I miss this thread? :eek: I've had my SR9 for a month, have 750 rounds through it so far with zero failures. I love the grip, the look, the way it shoots.. everything about it. :D

Just got this holster for it in the mail saturday.
IMG_36081280x768.jpg

Here it is with my wife's .357 mag.
IMG_35611280x768.jpg

I've still got about 2 months to wait on my CWP so for now I open carry hence the Fobus holster. Probably looking to do some IDPA in the future.

Adventurer 2

I don't own an SR9 but I have shot a few. I remember the first thought I had when held one - what a thin grip. I was thinking knife like. Doesn't effect shooting. Like I said, I don't own one but I know what I can get one for and I think the SR9 is big bang for the buck.

SR9

Adventurer 2, the gun feels very nice during shooting for me. I love the thin grip and how it holds 17+1 ammo in it. Sometimes I think the magazine is thicker than grip itself :p

I tried Glock 19, 23, S&W M&P compact and XD Compact before I decided to buy SR9. First of, even for CC, compact are not too comfortable for shooting. I rather either OC or CC under my jacket or shirt (as much as I can) a full size gun. That brings us how important a thinner body for a full size to hide it better.

:)

Conradm

Honestly, I think the grip is what wins people over. I know it made me think twice before I handed it back to the sales person. :D

wildbill846

I absolutely love my SR9. It's the right size, feels great in my hand, accurate, functions great, has a manual safety (old fashioned military habit for me), 17 round mag, Ruger reliability....everything I wanted Unfortunately, its initial hype was killed by the recall...otherwise I think this would be a much, much more popular gun today, with a lot more aftermarket support.

rugerfreak

I think they are selling pretty well now--now that the bugs are worked out.

Ya--I bought one too.

Picked up some spare mags--they need to get the price down--kind of kills the value of a lower cost gun. Will probably get 3 or 4 more though just in case O and the Dems get to banning stuff.

SR9

Let's promote SR9 here, we (the SR9 owners) are the best promos for the gun. Good thing about this they are realy good guns and we don't lie about it (we don't have to)

There is an excellent review on youtube. 6 parter (3 of them field test) by nutnfancy (Start from here) ... tell everyone about it. I love the way he looked into everything detailed. Those videos are the biggest reason I bought the SR9 (and good thing I did)

alienbogey

Very, very happy with mine. The ergonomics are great and the feature list outstanding at a good price.

Evidently Ghost is working on aftermarket trigger parts for the SR9 similar to what they make for Glocks.

I like the trigger on mine, but it definitely could be better.

Conradm

Just cut a coil and a half off of my striker spring. Trigger pull is MUCH lighter now. I did disassemble the striker unit to get a good cut on the spring and also put the cut end of the spring back down inside so it can't break the plastic cup.

Conradm

Update:

Took the SR9 to the range today after work to try out the trigger. I went through 53 rounds (3 hollow points). I know that's not much but the indentation in the primer was identical to some old brass I had in my range bag.

Did I mention how nice it is to shoot now? It's much more accurate now, I was able to get 1 inch groups at 15 yards. What surprised me was at the end I started working on double-taps @ 7 yards.. after the first go I look up at the paper and all I see is 1 hole... :eek:

Image0311280x768.jpg

I thought I somehow managed to flat out miss the paper on the 2nd shot... upon closer inspection I could see that they're stacked. :eek:

Anyway, I know there are arguments against doing this, but all in all I'm glad I did. Very satisfied.

SR9

WHOA.. crap! that's a good shot.

I might send my gun to you to do the same surgery on it... mmmm. maybe not :|

Yes, I can see the double-punch there :)

:cool:

rugerfreak

Well it wouldn't be the SR9 then now would it.

Suspecting future models would be labeled SR45 etc......

As to any in the works---I have no idea.

SR9

I would like to change the rear sights… dots are very small compare to the other guns. I just notices how important the sights are after I tried Sig p220 (or was it Sig 1911, don't remember) but the dots on rear sight were big and much easier to line all three. I shot better with sig then my Ruger. I don't blame the gun (I blame myself) although larger dots will make my shooting better.

Any ideas where and if I can get sights replacements?

:cool:

azula

two words...AWE SOME!!!

Hello, first post here, I wanted to share my experience with my new pistol. I put my SR9 on layaway about three months ago. Picked up this weekend, and was more than impressed. (I have the OD green model) I am 6'4, so my hands are sorta big and I was wondering how it would feel while firing, it felt good but I put a Houge grip on and it felt even better.
Great balance, I ran 250 rounds thru, I had two stove pipes with my second mag, but I think that was me feeling out the weapon. BTW, I'm in Cali, so I hafta use 10 rd. mags. So I ran 25 mags, and those were the only two problems I had all day. WOW!!!
The trigger pull felt fine, IT DID NOT FEEL GRITTY, nice-n-smooth, I was putting everything right where I wanted it, I tried out 5 different kinds of ammo and all ran thru the weapon great.
Mag springs were really stiff, but they provide a mag feeder, and the springs are already breaking in.
I'm no weapons expert, FAR from it, but I am prior USMC,and leo, and have a fair amount of trigger time. THIS IS A GREAT WEAPON.
there will always be a few bad ones on any production line, and with any product, but for the $$$ you can not do better.
BTW... Veridian is also offering 1/2 price on their green laser and a Blackhawk holster for free with P.O.P. ... the info in in the gun case when you p/u your pistol.
This weapon stacks up with other like pistols that cost 600-900$$$ or more.
won't say better, because that's subjective. I'm getting one for my GF.

dairycreek

I bought an OD SR9 (post recall model) about two months ago and have put several hundred rounds through it. The ammo was a true variety of stuff I had on hand and the gun showed no preferences at all. There were absolutely problems of any kind! 100% reliable:D

I have a number of other striker fired handguns and am familiar with a variety of trigger pulls and the SR9's trigger pull is absolutely exceptional. Not a tuned 1911 mind you but pretty darn good anyway.

Gunsby_Blazen

accuracy???

Hello, this is my first post on this forum…
I have been eyeing an SR9 for a while and have recently been looking at them in my local gun shop. I was all set to get one and almost did last time I was in there but didn’t due to a machining mark on the slide of the 2 tone SS. So now I am looking at the OD green and the all Black. I just couldn’t decide on the color because I liked all three…
Now I was sitting back and looking over at some other forums as well as various reviews of the gun and noticed a great bit of dissatisfaction regarding accuracy. I have read reports of the gun getting 5 inch groups (5 shot at 25yrds) and have read reports of it getting around 2.5 inch groups (same test 5@25). Now I LOVE the way the gun fits in my hand and everything feels so right with it but the accuracy issue is holding me back now.

From what I have been reading on here, you all seem to really like the gun.

So should I be concerned with accuracy? (I am not expecting match grade with this gun) I will most likely use it as a range gun for plinking and leisure shooting, handgun practice, and for self defense for bumps in the night.

Was the accuracy issue with the pre-recall? Are they better after recall?
Will appreciate the input,
Thanks

Oh and, what color scheme do you all prefer? Heh heh

:confused::confused::confused:

Conradm

As far as I know SR9's are very accurate for a non-match grade gun. I've never heard of someone having complaints about accuracy. Search for nutnfancys youtube review of the SR9 vs the Glock 17... he shot very good groups @ 15 or 25 yards, don't remember which.

Now mind you I've never shot mine from a rest because well lets face it, I'm not going to be shooting at a BG from a rest. That and I've only shot out to 25 yards a few times because there shouldn't be any lawful reason to engage a BG from that far away. 15 yards is my max for practice and free standing I can manage 1 - 2.5 inch groups. But again, I don't care much for dead on accuracy, I just want to be able to hit CM as fast as possible.