who shoots clays with shotguns?

B.L.E.

If your club has a combination trap/skeet field, challenge your buddies to a round of Skrap. Trap birds from the skeet stations.
It's not a recognized game so the rules vary from region to region but we start at skeet station one and everybody shoots until they hit with a five shot maximum, then go to skeet station 2 and repeat. After station 8, we start over on one and repeat, the person who goes the farthest before running out of ammo wins.
I've also shot it where the shooters shoot stations 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and repeat until the best shooter is out of ammo.
Those station 1 and 7 shots are "the mothers of all crossing shots". Like station 5 in skeet but the shooter is farther back, plus the variable target presentation of trap thrown in.

FITASC

Yep, all the clubs in Florida have never closed. We have registered shoots happening now in GA and FL - starting tomorrow for me.................

GE-Minigun

Shoot in a skeet league year round, plus a lot of 5-stand and some sporting for fun. Last year shot just under 25k and with all the crap going on I’ll be lucky if I get in 15 this year.

darkgael

Costs. As Fitsac noted, the cost of ammo over the life of the gun dwarfs the cost of the firerarm. Looking at that 25K shell total....even shooting nothing but Walmart sale shells at, lets say $6/ box.....that 25K is $6000 worth of shells (15K = $3600). That is per year.
I never shot more than 5k shells per year. Even that low round total ran up to $6000 after five years (plus range fees). The gun, a BT-99, only cost $1200 new.
Treat yourself to a Trap gun.

Last edited:

stuckinthe60s

its always been a goal of many clay shooters to get the absolute lowest price gun to achieve the goal of the game...running as much ammo thru it as one could, to beat the cost of the game.
an 1100 comes to mind much like an 870. cant get much cheaper than that, yet countless thousands did it and did very well with a cheaper gun.
in doing so, the sport was opened up to the middle class in ways that saved the sports.
but as time marches on...the price of the gun is slowly creaping up again...along with ammo cost.
add to that the entry fees...and the sports over all are slowly tipping back towards the more financially secured crowd, than the working class of America.
Europe and asia isn't stupid. they saw the void...and now America is flooded with cheap (really cheap) euro-asian imports to shoot the cheap euro ammo flooding in.
sad day indeed to see a great game pushed over by cheap invaders.

The Rattler

I try to shoot trap once a week informally, but on a regulation field. HD shotguns don’t do much for me. I have handguns for HD but have buckshot and slugs should I need them. I never hunt birds or animals.

I must admit that while I started coming to this site as my main shotgun site 6 years ago, it is no longer my “go to” because of the emphasis in HD and Tactical guns. Hunting and clays are different disciplines and interests from HD and Tactical shotguns.

natman

who shoots clays with shotguns?

Just about everybody. They're too hard to hit with a rifle and the bullets travel too far. :D

darkgael

I shoot ATA 16 yard Trap. As well, I can use a foot operated machine and shoot in my backyard though the clays are closer by half.
Lower back problems have really cut into my ability to shoot. Working on it.
Pete

darkgael

LOL. Yeah, that surely would get me quick and unwonted attention.
The actual backyard is in PA where I retired. Still keep a place in Brooklyn.

FITASC

Costs. As Fitsac noted, the cost of ammo over the life of the gun dwarfs the cost of the firerarm. Looking at that 25K shell total....even shooting nothing but Walmart sale shells at, lets say $6/ box.....that 25K is $6000 worth of shells (15K = $3600). That is per year.
And about an equal amount or more, for the targets...........they ain't free........ ;)

stuckinthe60s

when the navy had a navy yard, I worked there in the mid 80's. had a navy office in Hempstead too. close to your place? wonder if they still have castle burger joints?

eastbank

we had our first trap shoot of the year yesterday, a grand time was had by all. no 25-25,s, but many 22-23,s-25. my main trap shotgun is a older BT-100 and i switch over to a citori sporting clays limited for doubles and other clay games. i shot my last 50-50 with a older 1187 rem trap grade.

Ricklin

Oldie but goodie

My singles gun is now 102 years old. LC Smith SBT, a very early one from 1918.
It turns clays in to smoke, if the shooter does his part. It is choked tighter than a nun's kiss.
Once I learned to let the clay get out a touch, my scores improved. Those old boys built some great guns. Love the trigger, it is the proverbial glass rod breaking. Impossible to forget the safety is on, it has none.
I keep being tempted to open the choke a bit, but don't want to alter the gun.