who shoots clays with shotguns?

stuckinthe60s

I don't need humbling. purpose of my tour is to meet and visit old and new friends. shooting is just an excuse to socialize. ya know...the way it was meant to be, before organized sports took it all over.

bobn

fs....quick explanation of zz and box pigeons please....
.....stuck in 60, ya we do that in wisc/mn border area.....ps stuck in the 70s, (usn 72.76) bobn

stuckinthe60s

zz is a machine/array that delivers targets in a wild way.
box pigeons are illegal now. sometimes known as (live bird) where a live dove is under a box and is let loose. it must be shot and fall within a circle to win.

darkgael

Trap

Did I miss it? There is no mention of International Trap.
Five computer controlled machines for each station. Every shooter gets the same combination. Smaller, harder, faster target birds than ATA trap. Two shots at each allowed. Any time I have seen it...shooters always take the two shots. Gun up and bang-bang. Shot load limited to 24 grams (25 is 7/8ths oz.)
“In ATA Trap (16 yard Trap) you cuss when you miss one. In International (Olympic) trap, you are happy when you hit one.”
Pete

Last edited:

FITASC

fs....quick explanation of zz and box pigeons please....
.....stuck in 60, ya we do that in wisc/mn border area.....ps stuck in the 70s, (usn 72.76) bobn

Here's a video showing ZZs (aka Helice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L4k9R1pAyc

Watch out for the background techno-music, it can be a little loud

This game originated in the 60s as an alternative to shooting flyers, aka "box pigeons" - live pigeons launched from box traps in competition with a lot of money involved.

Helice is the French term for propeller (you'll see why in the video) ZZ came from the first ones which were made of zinc and were to be similar to the Mexican Zurrito breed of pigeon which was the fastest and hardest live pigeon to shoot.

Basic premise- 5, 7, or 9 machines fanned out 27 meters from the shooting position. They can spin anywhere from 2500 to 10000 rpm; most run about 7500. You, as the shooter, have no idea which machine will launch or which way the target will travel. You have to separate the white "witness cap" from the propeller AND it has to land inside the outer fence, otherwise it is a lost target. Since a "race" is typically 20 birds, missing 1 or 2 can mean losing.

darkgael

Thanks for the video link. That looks like a lot of fun.
Are there any circumstances where the bird is out of play and the shooter does not have to take the shot. Some of those birds appeared to fly behind the machines upon launch.
One shot per bird?

FITASC

Two shots per bird; any question on legality would be up to the ref.

This is the governing body in the US; they are aligned with the French FITASC governing body (as opposed to the rival Spanish FEDECAT group)

http://ushelice.com/

darkgael - Keystone in PA has helice

Keystone Shooting Park
www.keystoneshootingpark.com
610 Game Farm Road,
Dalmatia, PA 17017
Google Maps: Keystone Shooting Park
Phone: 717-903-9009 or 717-362-1966
E-Mail: keystoneshootingpark@gmail.com

ARTICLE 3.14.1

If a target strikes the ground but resumes flight with no noticeable change in speed and direction, it shall be considered a legal target. Such a call remains the case even when the target remains in light contact with the ground.

If a ground strike results in a partial loss of flight (i.e., a noticeable change in speed) before the shooter has a reasonable opportunity to make an attempt to shoot, a “NO BIRD” shall be called. If such a strike occurs in between shots, the shooter is entitled to shoot another helice but only using one cartridge.

If a ground strike results in total loss of flight before the shooter has a reasonable opportunity to make an attempt, a “NO BIRD” shall be called. If such a strike occurs in between shots, the shooter is entitled to shoot another helice but only using one cartridge.

Last edited:

B.L.E.

What does it cost to shoot a round of Helice? I looked up target prices and it looks like those targets cost around $.80 each.

Trap and skeet with reloaded ammo is quite expensive enough for me and as far as trap being "easy", no matter how good you get at this sport, there's always someone who can do it even better. Getting on the podium at the Grand American is anything but easy.

FITASC

Most places, targets can run closer to $1.50-$2.00 each. A race is typically 20 birds. Serious competition with serious prizes and costs can go up (along with side bets). Unless you have a ot of money, this is not something you typically go out and shoot 200 at a time.

B.L.E.

I guess that $.80 figure I saw was the club's wholesale prices.

Our trap league had an end of the season luncheon and informal trap shoot today, non-registered.
We decided to shoot a round or two of skrap. Shoot 'till you hit from each skeet station at the trap birds, five shot maximum. The last shooter to run out of ammo wins. That was humbling. I think some folks call this game "Doc Adams" or "Chinese trap"

jmstr

I plan to get into trap/skeet/sporting clays shooting. I've begun collecting the tools for it, but haven't had the time yet.

I do have a "HD-Shotgun", just for fun, but feel more comfortable with my handgun.

I have a hammer coach SxS, and 3 other SxS 12g, as well as an O/U 12, an 870 SuperMag [duck duck goose], and 2 semi-autos [Turkish- made 12 for S&W, and Browning Auto-5].

I like the older stuff more, but don't claim to be particularly good. I am much better with handguns- especially old steel: 1911, BHP, pre-# S&W, Pre 1960 Colt revolvers.

However, shotgun practice will be fun and I plan on getting better.

Tempermentally, I prefer the lines of my LC Smith Field [1947], but won't dismiss any modern shotguns either.

I may not like the 'tactical' approach, but have one or two just for fun.

FITASC

IF your goal to get into shotgunning is for hunting purposes, then shoot your hunting guns for grins and giggles. If, however, your goal is to get into serious competition in any of the games, get the 12 gauge target version of whatever brand fits you the best. A lot of folks can have a hard time swallowing the $2-$3K for the basic Browning/Beretta type of O/U until they sit down and realize that the cost of ammo and targets over 20-30 years will run 50-100X that costs - I know because mine did......(just don't tell the wife) :D

OzeanJaeger

I have an early M3Super90 (circa '94) that is a great skeet gun. I brought it to the range one day when I was still serving just for grins and shot a 21 first time out. While not used to using ghost rings for skeet, they work perfectly for me. I may even prefer them over just a bead, but I still shoot a citori for all clays.

B.L.E.

In my opinion, it's hard to beat skeet for dove hunting practice. Unless you are a skybuster, taking shots at birds that are hopelessly out of range, nearly every dove shot is found on a skeet range. A lot of the difficult sporting clays targets are actually irrelevant to dove hunting.

Fjblair

My club holds weekly club trap competitions and hosts regional events a few times a year.

It's good, it's organized. I sold my BT-99 and need to get back in the game.