who shoots clays with shotguns?

bobn

shot another round of 5 stand yesterday, did worse this time lol. next weekend is coming again, LORD willing, bobn.

eastbank

over the last 50 years i have watched the men with hunter style shotguns shoot the clays games and its true they will beat the clays style shotguns shooter,s some of the times, every body can- will have bad days or the shooter may not put the extra effort into it.. but i have found that a true clays shotgun will out preform a field shotgun most of the time at the clay games. we do know that there are some men who can shoot well with any shotgun handed to them, but they are few and far between. eastbank.

FITASC

There is an article in the latest issue of Shooting Sportsman. This mag is usually about bird hunting, but they did an article on 7 of the top sporting clays shooters and the 7 different brands of guns they shoot. there were some commonalities - ALL had LOPs over 15"; all had barrel lengths of 32", except for one who had 34"; all guns weighed over 8# except for one that weighed over 9; all had a trigger pull right at 3#;
Some differences - 3 have ported barrels, while 4 do not; 3 have fixed chokes (tight) while 4 do not

Just about all removed the front bead, and if they had a mid bead, they either removed that as well, or had that tiny bead installed on the front.

Not a lot of similarity to a basic 12 gauge field gun.

Shenna9220

Love sporting clays. My oldest shoots true pairs with a 870 pump, dives the regulars with their expensive OU's crazy. You also got to get them started young.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 26

stuckinthe60s

funny how s.clays grew.
at the time when it was being created, it was the answer to hunters wanting a course less predictable and formal like skeet and trap were, where any gun mostly used for hunting was the order of the day.... not some custom gun made just for one purpose.
when clays came out, it catered to a lot of old timers whos guns were designed primarily for hunting. hunters were happy. they finally had a clay game they could practice hunting with.

then.....came the custom s.clays guns, golf carts, memberships fees and dues, boards of directors, money purses, classification ratings, and videos on how to play a sporting clays course.

and of course, all the pro's started jockeying for dominance in the game and there ya have it....another formal clay game just like skeet or trap with just more angles and machines.

I think all those hunters just took their guns and bought machines for themselves and set them up in their back yards and gave up!:p

my opinion.

Last edited:

B.L.E.

I shoot trap mostly. Last year I shot 4300 registered targets singles and hdcp. This year I'm beginning to shoot doubles also after getting a suitable gun. Hard to shoot doubles with a BT-99 you know.

I also shoot trap with muzzle loading shotguns several times a year.

DSC_0427_zps4cd12f57.jpg

A 12 gauge built on a Billingsworth underhammer action. That thing hanging on the barrel is a barrel weight to balance the extra weight in the stock.
img_0499a.jpg

Shooting Mike's 8 gauge cape gun.

Every once in a while, I'll shoot a round of skeet or sporting clays.

Virginian

I think all those hunters just took their guns and bought machines for themselves and set them up in their back yards and gave up!
That's what I did. I lived one mile from Cajun Elite, too. Paid for itself in less than a year.

B.L.E.

stuckinthe60s said:
wheres that range youre shooting at?

The top photo was taken at the Red River Renegades muzzle loading rifle club near Electra Texas, about 20 miles west of Wichita Falls. They have an annual Muzzle Loading Shotgun Soiree, trap, skeet, and sporting clays. It's a four day event.

The bottom photo was taken at the Texas Muzzle Loading Rifle Association's Kenneth Matlock range near Brady TX. They have three shoots a year that includes trap.

Highlight those GPS coordinates and put them into Google Maps or Google Earth and it will take you right to the spot.

FITASC

and of course, all the pro's started jockeying for dominance in the game and there ya have it....another formal clay game just like skeet or trap with just more angles and machines.

Yep, but with very few perfect scores, it is all about trying to hit as many as you can; as opposed to running perfect with 35 other folks and getting into the shootoff.

Always amazed how many trap and skeet shooters won't try sporting clays because their egos about needing a perfect score gets in the way.....:rolleyes:;):p

eastbank

i agree, my best at sporting clays is 42 and that what i try to beat. and i am a trap and skeet shooter. eastbank.

B.L.E.

FITASC said:
Always amazed how many trap and skeet shooters won't try sporting clays because their egos about needing a perfect score gets in the way..

Perfect scores? I'm happy with pretty good scores.

I shot a lot of sporting clays many years ago, mostly because it was easier to get on a sporting clays squad than it was to get a squad interested in a round of skeet or trap.
The trap field, however, now has a voice activated trap and I can practice by myself. No need to get a trapper to pull for you.
For skeet at my club, you either have to find a squad, or use the delayed pull feature of the field, unless of course, you own a Clay Delay voice control.

stuckinthe60s

its not ego, its about a desire for perfection. in clays, perfection is hoped for.
skeet and trap, its expected to be all 25 or none.
take bowling. most dream of a 300.
im happy with a 100.
clays is like bowling. you go and give it your best and go home satisfied with what you did.
skeet and trap is.....you go there to hit 25. if you miss, you fail.
its 2 whole different sports.

Rob228

I've ran a handfull of 25's and one 50 in trap, and I agree with all the assessments about trap and skeet. Also, I've shot a lot more 23's than 24's, after the first miss the second one is almost inevitable for me.

bobn

shoot some 5 stand if you really want to get humbled. local sporting clay field has a semi trailer with a wood stove in one end and 5 hatches to shoot out of. 8 throwers in a horseshoe shape in front of you. great fun. bob