who shoots clays with shotguns?

jaguarxk120

I have a public range 10 minutes away, a season pass is $30.
Generally I will load up the car and shoot at least once a week.

I have a electric trap and a clay-delay release for it, makes life sooo much easier.

On a average 2 to 4 guns will come out with me, sometimes a friend will come along and we shoot together.

The Rattler

I Shoot Clays

My goal is to shoot trap once a week, but weather and other reasons prevent doing it every week. Occasionally, I shoot skeet for diversity. I am not that good, but I enjoy both and am trying to improve. I use this Forum to learn more about traditional shotguns and their uses, including the clay sports.

I am not interested in tactical personal defense shotgun subjects, but of course, I recognize those are legitimate subjects for those interested in them. I simply do not read or open posts about those subjects. Should any forum become overwhelmingly dominated by personal defense subjects, I will simply not frequent them very often.

Last edited:

Rob228

I've used "tactical" shotguns for work (breaching mostly, and I've got to say that ballistic breaching is the least preferred method) but for fun I shoot trap, although work has forced me to take a 6 month hiatus and it looks like it will force me to take another 3 year break here shortly (Moving to Japan for a bit and the Beretta's will be staying with my dad). I've done a bit of upland hunting as well, but squirrel hunting with my 20ga Wingmaster is one of my favorite things to do.

Rangerrich99

I shoot clays irregularly to practice for quail season at the clay target center near the house with the same mossberg 500 that does nightstand duty every night. Of course, I switch barrels from the 18.5 incher to the 26 before I hit the range. On the down side, it's a fixed modified choke, but it's doable, and I've only lost a few bets against my buddies with their premium-grade autos and over-unders. This helps me come home with a few more birds than my better-heeled but non-practicing friends.

FITASC

You sound like you're shooting at Ben Avery? A fixed M choke is about as perfect as you can get for Western wild bird hunting; don't sweat it. Focus on the bird, not the bead, and success will be yours.;)

Rangerrich99

@FITASC;

Yeah, over at the CTC at Ben Avery. About ten years ago a buddy of mine was helping manage the place and he's actually the one that got me started shooting clays. I gotta say, it's just about the most fun with guns I have without actually going hunting.

All of my buddies use Olympic (think that's what they're called) chokes; supposedly for bigger patterns. If it's true, it'd sure be nice, but as it is, I win my fair share of free dinners/drinks before and after quail season.

Besides, I get a kick out of handing those guys their hats with my $250 pump vs. their $1800 rigs.

FITASC

Got several friends in their 80s that still shoot sporting clays; one is 89, the other is 85. Average age at my local trap/skeet/5-stand club is about 77. We have a few that shoot from their motorized scooters, a few others from those triangular folding stools.
If there's a will, there's a way.

stuckinthe60s

the best part about shooting with people older than me is their stories are genuine and unique....not something they read about on the internet, and just repeated it.
and they use much better grammar!
not.....like this and like, like ya know, like.:p

Husqvarna

Nordic Trap= single clays from one machine, 5stations 5shots each. I am decent, I like to get my average up to 22-23 before hunting begins

Skeet is harder but fun

Sporting is too Hard to be fun but we gotta ring it up before doing it so we only do it a couple of Times each season

We also have a Steel-deer on a track with The vitals cut out and you put a piece of paper behind. Two shots per run and you count the holes.
Practise for driven roedeer

darkgael

Trap

I shoot 16 yard Trap once a week year round. Mostly I use a BT-99. Periodically, though, I break out an SKB 20 ga. O/U or an old Winchester Model 59.

darkgael

Model 59...Yes, it has the fiber wrapped barrel. Marvelous gun - shot one of my first straights in 16 yard Trap with that gun and it is a pleasure to carry afield. It is under six pounds.
Pete