Which handgun does your husband use for a house gun?

Recoiljunky

I use the one thats closest to me. Usally its my glock 27. but theres also a 1911, springfield xd, ruger p89, baby desert eagle, glock 20 and berretta 92fs. i have never had any of them malfunction so i feel i can trust all of them.

Sheesh, just how many of you dudes have husbands?
There are quite a few women on the board, even if they don't advertise it by their user names.

And, hey, it's the 21st century. Some of these dudes just might.

I'm watching you, Pax...

apocalyptic-weasel.jpg

45_auto

unlicensed dremel said:
80 replies? Sheesh, just how many of you dudes have husbands?!?

What does whether or not I have a husband have to do with it?

The question that I see that the OP posted says:

Just looking for ideas what guns a man might use for home defense.

pax

I guess it depends on whether you reply to the title of the thread or the OP's question.

southjk

Ok, has no one got the joke yet? Pax was not asking because she really wanted to know what handgun your husband uses for a house gun. She was trying to highlight the absurdity of specifying gender at all. Kinda like all the other similar posts but for wives/girlfriends etc.

Forgive me if I'm making assumptions in error, Pax.

Dirty_Harry

Being a husband I will reply for my wife....

HK P30 with black hills 124 Grain JHP and a TLR-1. In my farther dresser is my P2000 with the same load. It is my carry gun and both always stay loaded.

SPEMack618

And I attempted to interject some more humor by implying that my short brunette former sorority girl ladyfriend has co-opted my S&W Model 10, a real man's fighting gun, as her house gun.

You know, she uses my gun in the house, I wear her heels out of the house.

Makes perfect sense?

ch47gunner

This CZ75 P-01, with added Streamlight TLR-1, is my nightstand gun.
But, for meandering around the house, I carry a S&W Model 649.

CZ75 P-01

Smith & Wesson Model 649nd

45_auto

She was trying to highlight the absurdity of specifying gender at all. Kinda like all the other similar posts but for wives/girlfriends etc.

The average US male is 6 inches taller, 30 pounds heavier, and correspondingly stronger than the average US female. You really believe that there are no discernible difference in gun preferences between men and women?

My experience (almost 20 years of teaching handgun classes) has been that women tend to prefer smaller, lighter guns that fit their generally smaller hands.

Of course there will be individual differences, but the trend is obvious.

KMAX

Ok, has no one got the joke yet? Pax was not asking because she really wanted to know what handgun your husband uses for a house gun. She was trying to highlight the absurdity of specifying gender at all. Kinda like all the other similar posts but for wives/girlfriends etc.

Really? Ya think so? I think a lot of us got it but wanted to talk about guns anyway rather than gender. May be wrong though.

WVsig

Don't get me wrong I love most of what Pax has to say. She has a great website and knows her stuff but in her quest to make things not about gender too often she makes it about gender.

She overlooks the fact that there are differences in shooters and that some of those differences can be gender specific or related. She brings attention to the gender issue too often without addressing the questions asked.

99% of the time people are simply looking for knowledge and are trying to give enough info so that others can make meaningful recommendations. Turning every what is a good gun for my wife/girlfriend/mother thread into a gender war is fruitless IMHO.

We would be much better off ignoring the gender equation and focus on the question by asking questions about the prospective shooter/owner which are not gender specific. Things like:

• What is the intended use for the pistol. Range/Gungames/Self Defense/Combo etc...
  • What size handgun are you/they looking at Fullsized/semi-compact/compact/micro-pocket gun and why.
  • If not listed caliber preference and why.
  • Description of hands... Large/small? Long or short fingers?
  • Strength: Including upper body and hand strength
  • If Carrying what method of carry... on the body holster or bag.
  • Handgun experience... Any formal or informal training.
  • What guns have they/you shot before and what did they/you like and dislike about them.
  • How often will the perspective shooter shoot?

This is just the tip of the iceberg but asking these questions without worrying about the gender markers more sense to me than drawing more attention or expressing outrage at the mention of gender. YMMV

Last edited:

Dashunde

Nope, and we'd much rather type than read...

I have to admit.. I clicked her link, read just enough of Gunhilda's post to dismiss it as sexist crapola... stopping just short of figuring out it was just funny tongue-in-cheek.

+1 with WVsig and Dashunde. It's a little ridiculous how it's always spun around.

I'm the man of the house and it's either a G19 or G41 with a TLR-1HL.
The AR is always close too.
My ladies gun is a G17 with a TLR-1s.