Which handgun does your husband use for a house gun?

357 Python

Pax I use several different revolvers. The ones I rely on the most are 4" Colt Python, 4" S&W 686, 4" S&W 10-8, S&W 28-2, 6" Colt Python, and a 3" S&W 65-3. These are backed up with a 20" Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge.

jmr40

I have several guns to choose from. I generally carry a G-19, 26, or 23 so I'm pretty familiar with the platform. But the bigger G21 in 45 ACP is the one with a light mounted on it that is hidden, yet within reach in the house at all times.

I'm not at all convinced that 45 is any better than 9mm so that did not factor in. It is just a bigger gun, but I like it and it seemed like a good role for it. The fact that it functions exactly like the carry guns with the same trigger pull is a big plus too.

I also have several 1911's, a Sig 226 and several nice revolvers. But those are just for showing off to friends. The Glocks are the guns to show to your enemies.

tipoc

I couldn't get a straight answer from my wife the first time I asked so I asked her again. After telling me not to interrupt her while she's watched Project Runway she told me my home defense gun is a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull.

She said she got that for me because it's big and heavy, makes a lot of noise when it shoots and fires a big bullet. She asked all her facebook girlfriends about it before she got it for me. She added that since I'm not that good a shot I can whack a fella over the head with it.

tipoc

serf 'rett

Snort....

Chortle...

As the man of the house, well let's be truthful and just say the man in the house, the linked post lets me know I'll need to dump the Kahr P9 because it's only 9mm, too small for my gross motor skills and confusing to operate. The AR-15's are even more bumfuzzleingly. Even the third choice 870 is too much for my primitive mind and mode.

BASEBALL BAT! Softball aluminum model. Yep, that will work.

For backup I can chunk the P9 at 'em.

Rembrandt

I don't have a husband.....in today's society I suppose it's prudent to ask. Besides, after 40+ years with Mrs Rembrandt, I think we'll keep things as they are.

After reading the OP's link, I'm beginning to think my masculinity is in question for not selecting a Desert Eagle as first choice....but I really do like the little Boberg 9mm.

NWCP

I keep a loaded 12 gauge next to the bed along with a HK45C in the nightstand. My wife can use the 12 gauge pump without any problems. The Pistol has a Crimson Trace Rail Master Pro that has both a laser and light for home defense use. If you've never looked into one you might want to check it out. It works really well. JMHO

rebs

My night stand gun is a Glock 21 with a 12 gauge shotgun under the bed loaded with #4 shot.

weblance

pax said:
Just looking for ideas what guns a man might use for home defense.

Im the husband. My house gun is an FNX-45. I like a hammer fired Double Action 45 pistol, in Condition Two. Some days, its a Ruger P97 or P345.

My wife likes my 9mm Ruger P95. Its in a locked pistol box, where she can easily get to it.

Men, like all primates, like things that are shiny and loud. A S&W 629 would fit that bill. I'd recommend a Desert Eagle in polished nickel, but men aren't good at keeping things clean.

If that doesn't work, a pistol-gripped Mossberg Cruiser can help with, ah, compensation issues. It's loud and it kicks like a mule. It's better for the ol' masculinity than going to one of those John Bly men's retreats!

Beyond that, whatever gun is featured in Call of Duty or the current Michael Bay movie will do just fine.

oldcabin

I have chosen to use a 12" frying pan with the large backstrap so I do not become frustrated or bogged down in unaccustomed detail work associated with complicated moden firearms. :)