What's the best "out of the box" semi-automatic pistol you've owned?

b.thomas

Mine is my Smith and Wesson 940s......somewhere between 1500 to 2000 rounds and it's never failed once! Strange thing is............. it's the handgun I use the least?? :confused:

44 AMP

Staff
Lets Say it's a gun or guns that have been reliable, that serves its intended purpose well, and that hasn't been repaired or modified since you got it

Thinking back over the years, I can only recall a few pistols I bought new in the box, a Browning BDA 45, a Desert Eagle .44Magnum, and a stainless Luger 9mm.

The only problem I have had (that wasn't due to unsuitable ammo), is the Luger, (with less than 200rnds through it so far) doesn't lock open on the last round. Locks open with an empty mag, but not when shooting the last round. I haven't done anything to it, yet, will wait a bit and see if it breaks in ok.

I expect a semi auto to choke once in a while, its the nature of the beast. If it doesn't, I'm pleasantly surprised. :D

JDBerg

44 AMP: said:
I expect a semi auto to choke once in a while, its the nature of the beast. If it doesn't, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Agreed; It's necessary to practice tap rack bang drills even if you have to load a snapper in the mag every so often. You can account for the condition of your gun to make sure it functions practically all of the time. But you can't account for some of the substandard factory ammo you come across:)

rodfac

Tough question: "Best" out of the box to me includes a lot of factors: Reliability (gotta work first time out, no "break-in), accuracy (2" or a bit more from rest at 25 yds), fit in the hand (my hands, not some composite made up in a laboratory), suitability to purpose (a carry piece that's got weight to absorb recoil, and enough barrel to give a sight picture usable to 50 yds or more), and power commensurate with the defensive pistol's prime purpose (put the adversary down, man or beast when the chips are down), just to name a few.

Meeting all of those listed criteria, I'd go with Ruger's SR1911 CMD, my Browning Hi-Power in .40 S&W, and a Sig P226 Mk 25 (this last in spite of that pitiful caliber).

All three have been superbly accurate for me, as close to 100% reliability as is possible in a machine made, production pistol, and all fit my hands comfortably (read: I shoot them well with no warm-up). Were I to pick one for all purposes, it'd be the Browning at this point in my life....great feel (hell, I'll say that it's the best feeling pistol in the world in my hands), good/great caliber with a wide choice in bullet weights and all that unlimited brass for reloading. The Browning's that good, and I'm an old 1911 shooter for better than 50 yrs now, but the Ruger and Sig (despite it's caliber), run a very close 2nd...and about tied in that regard, I'd say.

HTH's & YMMV, Rod

Last edited:

bledsoeG19

My CZ75B SA. Thing just runs. I have added some aftermarket parts for my preferences but it ran flawlessly before that as well. Some vz g10 grips and a fiber optic front and serrated rear from czc. This is my EDC and has never let me down.

WC145

What's the best "out of the box" semi-automatic pistol you've owned?
I've had plenty of factory new autos over the years that were reliable, accurate, well put together, etc.. But out of all of them the "best" out of the box auto I've owned is my Les Baer Boss .45. Excellent fit and finish, extremely accurate, and 100% reliable, it is the total package, by far the best factory built gun I've ever had.

All four Makarovs: the commercial Russian Izhevsk .380, Bulgy (9x18) and both East Germans (9x18). Both Polish P-83s (the 64's larger brother).

The slightly-used Sig 232 (.380).

None of these have ever experienced any misfeed nor any other glitch.

Last edited:

Tucker 1371

Easily my CZ75 SP01. Believe it or not a close second was my Taurus PT1911, sold it to buy a "better" 1911 that was almost double the price and half as reliable.

radir68

CZ 75 SAO. Changed grips and fiber optic front sight but it has been a sweet heart since day one. Second would be my Shield. Grip sleeve and a front sight and it been 100% since I have had it. Kinda surprising how soft a shooter it is