What's the best "out of the box" semi-automatic pistol you've owned?

AK103K

A shorter list would be the ones that have had a malfunction of some sort. I have been fortunate that *nearly all* of my pistols have worked very well.
I think a lot of that depends on what you are focused on and the number.

I switched to SIG's and Glocks because the 1911s, especially the "clones" (Springfield's being the worst), had become very problematical and couldnt give me the "out of the box" reliability I was looking for.

Over the years, I owned right around 40 1911's, 17 SIG's, and 17 Glocks. All a mix of new and used, but most of each were new.

Of the 1911's, and being generous in the remembering, maybe 15 out of the 40 worked 100% out of the box (and that was using "ball" ammo). Most of those were the Colts, GI guns, with a couple of very early Springfields that were built to the original specs.

Of all the SIG's and Glocks, only one Glock, an early Gen 1 17, had a problem, and that wasnt a failure out of the box.

Everything else, load the mags and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Lets Say it's a gun or guns that have been reliable, that serves its intended purpose well, and that hasn't been repaired or modified since you got it, get it?
Id also include "break-ins" in that. I never got why I had to break something in on my dime, especially when I just spent a good bit of money on a supposedly "quality" gun.

jaytothekizzay

Not my favorite pistol of all time, but the one that tops the charts in most categories, as far as reliability, and functionality goes, is my Glock 23... hands down

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

buckweet

Ruger standard .22 pistol.
4" tapered barrel.
Mark ll
For many many many years..
never fails.
I don't think that you could wear one out.

BigJimP

A pair of Wilson Combat 1911's ...both 5" guns, a CQB in .45 acp and a Protector model in 9mm......both ran 100% right out of the box ( and I cannot say that about my Les Baer, my Ed Brown or any of my Kimbers.

The pair of Wilson's are two of the top 5 guns in my safe.

----------------
But none of my Sig 226's, an X-Five L1 model, or my 239's have ever been a problem either ...or my Buckmark...( and that's about it for my semi-autos )...

briang2ad

There is only ONE (most) correct answer here - and it is not disputable. The SP2022. Before your panties get into a knot - I did not say best pistol ever made - but BEST OTB.

NO need to change anything on this gun. Unless you have EXTRA long fingers, it has ample grip changes, perfectly textured panels, good steel night sights, pic rail, EXCELLENT OTB trigger, excellent fit/finish. No fluff/buff, no spring changes, not adding sights, no trigger mods/jobs, nothing. Every other gun I know of needs SOME mod/change/buffing/etc.

Its the one!

Last edited:

Will Beararms

I've been running Glocks since 1993 with no issues or any failures of any sort. I've had NIB Sig's, Smith's and Kahr's completely shut down before a full box of factory ammo was spent. I have been shooting Glocks so long that everything else feels awkward to me.

Onward Allusion

Dunno if it can be considered out-of-the-box 'cause it was a LE Trade-in but S&W 5946TSW. Glock 26 a close 2nd and it was out of the box. Shooting the G26 felt like shooting a 32 acp and reliable. Did I say reliable?

smokehouse4444

Without a doubt, my mid 90's West German SIG P220 is the sweetest shooting, best feeling handgun I've had straight out of the box. Not one single failure since I bought it twenty years ago. I have several other SIG's that have perfect records as well, and several other brands tbat have been near flawless, but there is just something about that old P220 that is truly special.

Quentin2

I've had many excellent semiauto pistols that worked fine right out of the starting gate. In fact that's what I expect.

But I'm going to give the nod to the mixed parts P.08 Luger I bought in 1975. It truly does stand out. I wanted a Luger but was a starving student at the time so it had to be cheap. Even to the untrained eye it was obvious this was a parts gun so I expected jams. Also, Lugers had a bad reliability reputation back then. Well, someone forgot to tell that to this gun! It loved cheap 115gr FMJ! (I did have to get some decent aftermarket magazines.)

As I learned more about P.08s I discovered this one had a DWM frame and toggle along with a 1938 Mauser S/42 receiver and barrel. It had numbered parts from 15 different pistols! Over the years it's gobbled up thousands of rounds with only one broken part, the large rear toggle pin - an easy fix with another mixed part number. The broken pin didn't stop the Luger, it kept firing and I only noticed the problem later when I field stripped it for cleaning!

Over the last ten or so years I bought a 1913 DWM receiver and barrel to make the pistol period correct for WWI. But I also bought a proper S/42 toggle train for the Mauser receiver. So I now have a WWI upper and WWII upper to drop on the 1913-14 frame. (Swapping the uppers is almost as easy as swapping AR-15 uppers.)

In either configuration the P.08 is quite reliable (using Mec-Gar magazines, not the original ones). It normally lives now as a mixed parts 1913 DWM.

Yep, it's a real shooter, a real keeper! Pretty easy to argue it's the best. The best pleasant surprise at least.

caz223

My SIG pro fails the out of box experience because the mag ejection button gets pressed every now and then, and dumps the magazine out of the gun, while still in the holster.
The button is just too big and easy to push without intent.
If you need a semi-auto pistol, a single shot pistol just won't do.