What's the best "out of the box" semi-automatic pistol you've owned?

O4L

S&W 645

Glock 19 Gen 3

Ruger MK III

M&P Compact

M&P Fullsize

These are the only ones I bought new and they all were great out of the box with no problems at all.

Oysterboy

I'd say my Sig P250c. Very simple construction and ultra reliable since the box.

I've had better made pistols but they went through teething/breaking in and FTEs and FTFs.

The P250 was rock solid.

chaim

I have several guns that have been 100% reliable:
-S&W 1911SC (very accurate)
-SIG P250C (though not all that many rounds yet, very accurate)
-SIG P290RS (crazy accurate for the size)
-Ruger LCP

I had (but no longer have) a few others:
-SIG P229
-Ruger P89 (though it was very inaccurate)
-I don't remember my CZ 40 ever having a hiccup

I have (or have had) two others that weren't quite 100%, but considering the round count have been quite reliable:
-Charles Daly 1911 (over 10K rounds, not many hiccups). I unfortunately sold it, still have the next...
-CZ 75B (well over 10K rounds, I can probably count the number of hiccups on one hand)

I'm sure I've left something out, and (due to the criteria) I only included those with any hiccups if they had over 10K rounds and few hiccups

So...best as in 100% reliable (or may as well be considering the ratio of rounds and hiccups), great accuracy, comfort/ergonomics, and how much I simply like it... It would be a toss up between the CZ 75B, S&W 1911SC, and SIG P229.

Edit:
I need to partially modify my answer. The question doesn't say best semi, but best "out of the box" semi. It has been a long time so I almost forgot, but my Charles Daly was not initially as reliable as it later was. The problem was the mags so it was a cheap and easy fix. However, reliable "out of the box" implies no modifications or changes whatsoever and having to buy aftermarket mags (I usually used Shooting Star and Wilson) is not quite "out of the box" (though not quite what I'd define as a modification). Just in the name of full disclosure I figured I should add this information.

Oh, and if you count regular routine maintenance as no longer counting as no modifications and repairs, around the 5K round mark I replaced the mainspring on both my Charles Daly and my CZ75B just in case.

Last edited:

1hogfan83

Hk P2000sk was a great gun, I only replaced the night sights. Probably 2500 hundred rounds easy without a hick up, still ugly as sin. My CZ is wonderful but took some work to get there. Being a P-01 the trigger and sights needed worked over. I'm hoping to come across a walther PPS.

lee n. field

What's the best "out of the box" semi-automatic pistol you've owned?

Best, out of the box? Springfield XD 40 Service. Shoots where I point it, I didn't have to do a thing to it, and have never had a bit of problem with it.

blchandl2

A shorter list would be the ones that have had a malfunction of some sort. I have been fortunate that *nearly all* of my pistols have worked very well.

farmboy

I've had several Glocks that functioned and otherwise performed flawlessly. I also determined that I don't particularly care for 'em, but that's my issue, and nothing wrong with the weapon.

My personal perfection has been a CZ P-07. It, too runs great out of the box, and I have no intentions of changing anything about it.
I'm keeping this one.

caz223

2 way tie between 2nd gen. Glock 20, and 5904 3rd gen. S&W pistol.
Neither has ever malfed in any way, and they just keep doing what they do.
Both guns have a high round count now, have been tried by fire *passed with flying colors* and still bone stock after all these years.

Worc

Lets Say it's a gun or guns that have been reliable, that serves its intended purpose well, and that hasn't been repaired or modified since you got it, get it?

Pretty much sums up all of my 9's. I did add a SRT kit to my West German 226 since they did not make them when the gun came out. I guess there's a lot to be said for how well the new parts fit right in a gun pushing 30 years old. I'd add accuracy to the list for me.

The gun that most everyone shoots/likes the best out of my five 9's would be the PPQ.

Wethepeople01

Love this thread and envy all of the Browning HiPower and H&K P7 owners. Both are on my - if I ever win the lottery - list. That said, my G22 (Gen 2) has been insanely dependable and user friendly. Wish it was more glamorous than that.

JDBerg

Worc: said:
...I did add a SRT kit to my West German 226 since they did not make them when the gun came out.

The Short Reset Trigger on my M11-A1 is fantastic! I wouldn't buy another Sig without the SRT, but when my ship comes in and I'm not at the airport:p, I hope to have one of the Legion series pistols, which "IMHO" lays to waste all of the criticisms I've heard about new production Sig pistols;)

mr bolo

Norinco mfg in China M1911A1

my NORINCO has been the most reliable M1911 model Ive owned that was good right out of the box,made in China factory magazines are also very reliable.

fired any type of ammo I tried: :)

semi wadcutters

JHP

Ball

tallball

We - You can get a good BHP, clone or surplus or both, quite inexpensively. I have had my FEG clone since the early 90's or so and it has been a very good pistol.