What is your favorite Rifle that you own?

Big-dog

Lee Enfield SMLE Mk1 Nr3 .303 1944 Nothing like a rifle that was used to help win WWII. Will never let it go I guess it will go to my daughter when I'm gone.

PaddyWhacked

Mind if I ask why you went with the Chinese model? If I remember correctly, it's a modification on the Russian model with some things cut back for economic reasons.

Brian41

Mosin Nagant 91/30 1943 production. Nothing Fancy, but i do indeed love it the most for some reason. Maybe cause it was my first centerfire.

wouldn't sell it for less than $250.... but realistically i won't ever sell it

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

NWCP

I'm petty fond of all my rifles. As for a favorite... probably my HK91. Then again I really like my CZ vz58 and my Winchester mod 69A... and the list goes on. I wouldn't sell it, or any of my others rifles. I didn't buy them to sell, I bought them to enjoy.

fisherman66

Quote:
I'm amazed at the number of Rugers people voted as their favorite. I never would have guessed.

Just curious. Why would that surprise you?

I'm not surprised with that statement. Growing up Ruger's were not considered premium guns by anyone I encountered. I own a couple now and they are rugged dependable guns. I don't think of them as heirloom quality though.
That pretty much sums up my feeling. Not dissing Rugers, but I have never really thought of them as "Premium", "Inspiring", or "Favorite" guns. To me they have always been more utilitarian, not that there's anything wrong with that. Just my own personal prejudice, I guess.
Chipperman is offline Report Post

Sounds good to me. That can work in my favor if we all work together in perpetuating that idea. I'm still looking for a minty tang safety M77 International in 250-3000 or 6.5x55. You wouldn't believe what people are asking for that model.

I'm surprised the Winchester pre64 M70 isn't listed yet (unless I somehow missed it.)

fisherman66

You don't get a vote until you post a picture. Supergrade and no picture.:rolleyes: I didn't see a "what would it take to liberate the rifle from your collection" price. You gotta play by the rules.

:p:D:p

Horseman

I post pics so seldom I have to learn all over again each time. I'll work on that tomorrow. It would take $3000 for me to part with it and my fingernails would be scratchin the stock at that price.

scorpion_tyr

Mind if I ask why you went with the Chinese model? If I remember correctly, it's a modification on the Russian model with some things cut back for economic reasons.

I don't mind at all. I didn't know anything about Mosin Nagants before I bought it. I just went to a pawn shop to look for my first rifle, saw an old beat up bolt action. It just seemed to say to me "Please rescue me, take me home, clean me up, fix me up, and let me do what I was born to do... shoot!"

I took it home like a puppy from an animal shelter. I've since tried to learn all I can about them. Some of the stuff I've read agrees with you. Some of it says the Russians sold the machines they used to make theirs to the Chinese, and the Chinese attempted to make the same rifle, from the same machines, even better. The whole national pride thing I guess. I don't know if they did, all I know is that for some reason I really love that rifle, From the bayonet, to the sights, to the movement of the bolt, to the trigger, to the butt, everything seems like it was built to custom fit me.

I've finally got her cleaned and fixed up in shooting condition, but I haven't been able to take her to the range yet (been out of town on business for months :mad:). After I get to shoot her I'll make an post an update because since that purchase I also have a Yugo SKS, and a Ruger 10/22 I have to try out.

What would it take to sell it? I don't ever plan on selling any of my guns, but if I had to... $200, just because all the hours of cleaning I had to do. Someone obviously buried it.

PaddyWhacked

yea, everything I've heard about it seems to bring up the same point that the Russians sold them the machines to build them themselves to help with the national pride issue and the fact that the Russians didn't want to give the schematics for the SKS. It's good rifle from what I've heard, and I can definitely sympathize on the rescue shelter firearms. My Czech AK-47 was the same way.

jh7171

what would be a good price for win model 70 308?

I just recently bought a 1974 winchester model 70 308 classic. The rifle is in good condition overall 85-90%. I paid $320 when i bought it at a local pawn shop. Does anyone know how much the gun is worth. thanks:confused::D

Impossible choice, either one of the two MN 44s, the Mini 14, 30 or SKS.
No gear owned or added. Iron sights.

Due to ammo prices, the favorite Mini is the 30 (wood/ss).

Last edited:

HAMMER1DOWN

well mine would have to be a 7x57 mauser in a ruger M77 MK.II i have taken all of my current big game with it and wanted to take it on a bear hunting trip this spring but i bought a 300 win. mag for it but i think it will still come along on the hunt.
And to steal this from me you wouldn't leave the ground you stood on when you grabbed it:D

DSC00667.JPG

kymasabe

My favorite rifles for me are my converted Saiga AK's. Simple, reliable, and fun. Yes, I hunt hog with one, is more than enough knockdown power for a 100lb hog within 100 yard average shot. I have a short 5-round mag for hunting, makes a nice light brush gun.

El Paso Joe

Probably an old 99Savage in 250/3000. It was a junker I picked up in a pawn shop in 1974 or so for around $70. Took it apart. Cleaned it. Replaced broken or missing stuff. Reblued a few odds and ends and finished the stock and recut the checkering. Bedded the butstock and the forestock. Put a nice bead on the front and a full buckhorn rear and went out and shot it. It shot the old 87gr loading the best. It took deer and won turkey shoots. It is probably not worth much as as collector but that doesn't matter. It is not for sale. Plan to give it to my youngest son (currently serving Navy Officer)... If he wants it...

phil mcwilliam

My Sako 308 levergun. Since they haven't made these rifles for over 30 years, it would be difficult to replace. I wouldn't sell it.

Last edited: