Training Schools List

David W

EP Training, JF thumbs up...

Hey all, happy new year!
I didn't notice the school I attended years ago (89-90)
http://www.esi-lifeforce.com/
Perhaps because its not just a shooting school.
Also, I can tell you that I went through John Farnams training, DTI, and he is an absolute consumate gentleman and one heck of pistol instructor.
I don't know where ESI is on the board anymore, but I know John is first rate.

shooter71

this is ABSOLUTELY one kick azz thread..yeah im excited lol

why?

well i already new about the big names, Gunsite, Sig Academy, Thunder Ranch, ..but i just found that another big name place is right here in my home state...Blackwater...heck yeah im tickled ape s***. i wanted to go to the others mentioned but wanted to go some place i could drive to so i could take my own guns and im just not sure of the flying thing and checking them in baggage..i read on a forum where a guy got to his destination but the gun didnt . the Sig academy i thought was prb the closet..but it was still a 15hr drive and i wanted to go to a big name place , not knocking the other places that arent none as well, but i wanted to stick to the ones you see all over the magazines you know what i mean...but now that i know Blackwater is local..im stoked..i would think its a great place or Sig wouldnt have a "Blackwater" model ..now i just need the money ..thats always the hard part darn it lol

this is one great forum!!!!!

blackheart1137

Mid Atlantic Training Resources

Another east coast one that is now going to be open to civilians is MATR, www.ma-tr.com they bring in respectable instructors and also myself, Erik Lawrence teaches there when requested. Near central WV so easy to reach on the east coast.

gmshtr

US Shooting Academy

Well, I'd like to throw our name into the hat. Being as we are still in the building process, many of you may not have heard of the U.S. Shooting Academy in Tulsa, OK.

USSA is sure to be the most advanced and convenient training location in the country. Our nearly $10 million facility is scheduled for Phase 1 completion in August. We hosted the 2006 USPSA Open/Production Nationals while we were only 20% completed, and this is what some of the attendees had to say:

"I'm sure we're going to be coming back here for years to come."
"It will probably be the premiere shooting facility in the country...probably the world."
- Angus Hobdell

"It's a comfortable place to shoot...with a good team of experienced individuals."
- Dave Sevigny

"The ranges are everything a shooter dreams about."
"There's been nothing quite like it anywhere in the world."
- Julie Goloski

"This facility is probably the nicest we've ever been to in the country [and] when it's done, there won't be anything like it that I've ever been to."
"A facility that you could shoot practically every different discipline at...a center point for the shooting world."
- Rob Leatham

"This is one of the most incredible places that I've seen built..."
"It's on a scale that's larger than most people can imagine."
-Todd Jarrett

"The range sets a new standard."
"Much better range than anything out there that I've been to."
-Travis Tomasie

"WOW! In the 12 years I've been covering the USPSA competitions, I've never seen an endeavor of this magnitude."
"There's nothing like this in North America...or the world."
"Hands down, even at 20% of Phase 1...this place blows every other National level facility that we've been to completely off the map."
-John Scoutten, Producer-Shooting USA

Come see for yourself. Classes start March 19th!

Phil Strader
Director of Facilities and Competitions
philstrader@usshootingacademy.com

pax

Just wanted to toss in a thumbs up for Jim Jacob's school, mentioned by Old Sourdough above. Good people there, and solid training.

pax

Charles S

If you are in North West Louisiana I will highly recommend Mr. Jerry Miculek.

Home Based & Itinerant Instruction Available

Bang Inc - Mr. Jerry Miculek and Kay Clark Miculek

http://www.bang-inc.com/

Well organized classes with a dynamic instructor.

Beckerich

just saying but wouldnt schools like that technically be perfect for terrorists wanting to get trained but not willing to go to palestine? Like IRA terrorists could go to the US, do that course and then be a good sniper?

car15a2

Tactical Defense Institute in Ohio

I heartily endorse TDI. I've taken many of their courses over the last 4 years, several of them more than once. The instructors are all first rate, and the student/teacher ratio insures plenty of personal attention by multiple instructors. They are serious, but can manage to laugh at themselves.

The classes are well organized, there is no wasted time. Since I am running out of classes to take at TDI I am glad to find this forum and this list of professional tactical training schools. It is time to diversify my training.

I will attend a private tactical carbine class with Pat Goodale (in WV) on 4/21-22 and then back to TDI for their extreme close quarters class on 5/26-27. I have heard good things about Pat's training also. I will let you know how it goes.

N4MGR

Charlotte, NC area

Here is one I found.

http://www.eaglerockts.com/index.html

There work out of Firepower in Matthews, even advertise for them on the website.

I bought my Sig P229 from Firepower, they are good people.

The Basic Handgun class is $75
The CCW class is $120

The other classes (to include tactical classes) you have to contact the school.

car15a2

I just returned from a two day tactical rifle class taught by Pat Goodale of Practical Firearms Training in Alderson WV. http://www.pgpft.com/info.htm

This was a private class with only 10 students, and as such each of us received a lot of personal attention.

The first morning was lecture in the classroom, including demonstration of positions and various techniques for moving into and out of position, plus the function and use of a tactical rifle. It was a lot to absorb, but Pat supplies you with a detailed outline that serves to refresh your memory when you review the material. The afternoon started off with equipment checks and zeroing, follwed by several shooting drills.

Day two was the meat of the course, with a lot of movement to contact drills, conventional and unconventional shooting postions, use of cover, shooting on the move, moving targets, and combinations of all of these techniques.

Overall I found this class extremely useful and enjoyable, and overall challenging. I have taken other tactical courses before, so a lot of the material was familiar to me, but plenty of it was different than that I learned in the past. It is good to have different perpectives on how to solve the same problem, and then choose that which suits the individual best.

One of the most important lessons I learned was just how quickly ones skills deteriate without constant practice. My training budget has dropped significantly over the last 2-3 years, and while I shoot semi-regularly, I have not practiced many skills I had acquired at considerable expense, and have therefore lost the edge I once had. I know my shooting sessions must become more frequent and better planned to retain training, rather than simple fun shooting.

Pat is a no nonsense guy, but he works to make the class enjoyable as he puts you through some occasonally grueling workouts (at least for out of shape 50 somethings).

I know I will return to PFT, and I reccomend it to anyone, regardless of their former level of training.

yasnevo

LMS Defense

Folks we are a mobile training team, you have a range we can travel to it. Worldwide. Our website is www.lmsdefense.com
We offer a wide range of classes from some really great instructors. We look forward to seeing you in classes.

Yancey Harrington
LMS Defense

Mtnvalley3

I'll second the reco of TDI (Tactical Defense Institute in OH) upthread, but I note that their website was not listed. Heah'tis:

TDI

I've taken Handgun Lvs I-V there (taking VI in Oct), as well as Integrated Impact Weapons, Defensive Knife, and Field Emergency Medicine.

Brian@ITC

Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC for those in Indiana. Actually, we are traveling across the US this year so look for us near you!

predator86

are there any training centers in wisconsin??? i dont really have the time/money for travel expenses...be nice if there was one even a couple hours away