Tell me what you think ...350 Legend hunting rifle

Joe-ker

yes, 4 or 5 states that have thousands of hunters that now have better options.
Absolutely. I don’t deer hunt because I’m not interested in pushing a woods with a slug gun. But the 350 option has me actually considering it for the first time.

bamaranger

build

Build what you want, 'cause you can ( and hopefully will still be able too).........but if it were me .350 doesn't ring any bells. I like short, tidy bolt rifles and Mannlicher stocks too! I'd consider .358 Win, but that's me. I can't hardly run peep sights on a short barrel carbine these days, so I'd opt for some type of low power variable, maybe with an illumination option if I could afford it. To me, a Mannlicher with a dot would seem cross culture, but again that's me.

GeauxTide

Not a naysayer, just a realist. Winchester has been on the pipe for a few years with cartridge intros. Been loading for more than 40 years and below are the cartridges I load for. I was shooting a 260 Remington for years before the Creed Craze. I've also got dies and brass for the Creed if anyone wants them.

stagpanther

180gr @ 2,200fps 20" barrel
154gr @ 2,100fps 20" barrel

Which do you prefer?

My 16" AR47 carbine will propel a 123 sst or 125 cavity back to almost 2600 fps and quite accurately.

attachment.php

Here's my very best 350 legend load for 180 PP shot out of a 22" barrel--it is one of the hottest loads and is very accurate. At best, a draw IMO but I'd lean towards the 7.62 for over-all proven reliability if I had a choice.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7.62 39 123 sst.jpg
    7.62 39 123 sst.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 350 legend.jpg
    350 legend.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

mehavey

As before, my 180 Speer CoreLock (out of a 15" (rifled) AR barrel)
350-Legend-Speer180-FP-Range-LABRADAR-sm.jpg

Matching that exactly in QL and extending the barrel to 22" (my other Legend/WIN_XPR), it hits 2,240fps

But this isn't a my-brother-can-beat-your-brother problem. It's an issue that people aren't looking at the data (speaking of COVID),
but rather making heart-felt proclamations as though they were.

Wrung out, the LEGEND works quite well ballistically in comparable platforms.
At that point it's a personal choice... no problem there at all.

Last edited:

reynolds357

I have a set of .350 Legend Dies. Just can't bring myself to buy a barrel...
The .350 Legend is a stupid accurate cartridge. I took my Ruger ranch and just playing shot a perfect 100 yard card. I am seriously considering building a bench rest rifle in it if I can get a written guarantee from my club that they won't ban it in non-registered shoots. That big ole bullet makes finding the x pretty easy. I don't think it would be worth a flip at 200, but that's its own discussion.

the possum

The CZ 527 family of rifles and carbines have controlled round feed, are already available with a Mannlicher stock, aftermarket peep sights are available, and already chambered in rounds like the .223 and 7.62x39. So it may be cheaper to convert one of those. I have a carbine, and it's very light and handy- basically the same size/weight as a Ruger 10/22. The one sticking point would be the protruding magazine in front of the trigger guard. Just a thought.

ccSnoopycc

I am fascinated by the 350 Legend and am not sure why there is a lot of dislike for it. I can see it as a round to be used in the 4 or 5 states with hunting restrictions as well as a big niche for it in the recoil sensitive and youth hunter categories outside of those 4 or 5 states. Hand loaders may have a hard time with it but I think the idea around it was that factories could reconfigure and retool their 223 lines to produce it relatively cheap. Once all this pandemic ammo stuff goes away I could see the rounds going for almost the same price as 223 making it extremely economical for range shooting and plinking. The Ruger Ranch Rifles are pretty darn compact and lightweight. I may just pick one up one of these days in 350 legend just for the fact of having a cheap shooting low recoiling compact rifle.

As for the idea of a custom 350 Legend worth a pretty penny well I think that may be stretching it a little.

Last edited:

mehavey

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
The 350 Legend is a solution for a non-existent problem.

People keep saying that...
But they've been regularly saying that every time a new cartridge has come out.
:cool::rolleyes::D

I dove in and hope the Kool Aid is good!

I needed and wanted a compact little brush gun, as my property is a thicket of Oak Brush with abundant wildlife in the Western US. We purchased the property 6 months ago and through the fall months, Black Bear have have been a nuisance (getting into trash and breaking into out-buildings), and according to the local Fish and Game officer.... way over populated. There is also a good group of Mule Deer and I will be hunting them the fall of 2022.

Anyway, after some reading and research.... I just wanted a "cool", little 350 Legend.

I opted for the Savage 110 Switchback from Sportsman Warehouse.

I mounted a 1.25-4.5x26 and love the look. Can't wait to get her on the range to sight in and enjoy.

I purchased 7 boxes of the $16 a box, Winchester 145gr ammo to break it in and get it 'rough' sighted. I also purchased 5 boxes of Winchester 180gr soft tip for hunting. I will be purchasing dies and after I run through those 140 rounds... I will be reloading that brass.

A6csm3s.jpg

jzZMV9z.jpg

Last edited:

MarkCO

I keep pondering it. I'd like to play with it, but I don't need it, want it, nor will I use it. I should probably sell my die set to eliminate the temptation.

stagpanther

Somehow people take it on faith this is a big game cartridge--it's not, and I think it's an exaggeration that it "vastly exceeds 30-30." At its core IMO it's basically a slightly aerodynamic/heavy 9mm that you are lobbing out (it has a "peculiar" trajectory so you have to be aware of that too in relation to what the short point blank range is) there but must be aware of how fast its ballistics go over the cliff past 100 yds. My axis 2 though is a great heavy woods close range gun--ideal for new shooters or the PC only states.