Tell me what you think ...350 Legend hunting rifle

GeauxTide

358 Winchester or a 338 Federal, in a 20" barrel, gives you proper big game bullets and the greatly available 308 Winchester case. Why in the world would a company introduce a .355 caliber rifle when no .358 caliber, with excellent big game bullets, has ever been successful?

mehavey

The Hate is strong here.

With the exception of Stag, how many of the naysayers own or load for the LEGEND ?

Shadow9mm

The Hate is strong here.

With the exception of Stag, how many of the naysayers own or load for the LEGEND ?
I don't hate it. I think its a great idea. I just think it was implemented poorly from a handloading perspective. If your using factory ammo and buy a box a year to hunt with, your golden. If you want to hand load you are you are in a complicated spot.

1- You can buy the special projectiles for the caliber at about 0.28 per bullet for the cheap stuff.
2- you can use 9mm FMJ for plinking but HP may have problems at those velocities
3- use 357mag bullets, but you have to get more tooling to swage the bullets to the correct dimensions to load.

mehavey

With the exception of you & I, Stag, I doubt many here have delved
into the guts of actual work with the cartridge/rifle at issue. ;)

If in error, folks pile in w/ pushback.
:)

stagpanther

With the exception of you & I, Stag, I doubt many here have delved
into the guts of actual work with the cartridge/rifle at issue.

If in error, folks pile in w/ pushback.
I don't assume that, in fact I usually assume most people here know far more than I do. I have my opinion based on my personal experience, nothing more.

I think "not well thought out" is a very apt description.;)

Geezerbiker

Awhile back there was a wildcat round called the .357 Max AR. I think it was much better thought out round and is also based on .224 brass that hasn't been necked down. I suppose you could call it unfinished .223 brass anyway there's a couple places that sell it that way from what I've heard.

Tony

44caliberkid

In Iowa, we had the 450 Bushmaster for 2 years prior to the 350 Legend. Everyone built or bought their rifles in that caliber, no reason to try a 350 Legend. Around hunting season, 450 can be hard to find, while cases of 350 languish on the shelf. During the current, politically induced shortages, 350 Legend is one of the few cartridges no one ran out of.

NoSecondBest

If they’re “naysayers” why would the own one? They’re “naysayers”.

MarkCO

I don't know that I am a naysayer, but I do load the .350 Legend. More of a T&E process than anything else. Will it stay or will it go? Who knows. I don't have a 300BO. 450BM, or a .224V anymore, but I did keep the 6.5CMs.

Niche cartridges need a lot of marketing and support, plus buy in from enough to support bullets and guns in the caliber. Being a 10mm and .41Mag fan, I have seen the ups and downs in the popularity of those two which are fringe cartridges. Big fan of the .280AI and .338-06, also fringe cartridges.

The point is, if you like a cartridge and it works for you, go for it, but make sure to have dies, brass and bullets (or a way to make them) while you still can.

taylorce1

mehavey said:
As to Taylorce... you didn't tell your wife you were in this gun-game to save money did you?

My wife lets me have my gun habit, as long as we don't discuss her shoe collection! ;)

I forgot about that Ruger made a stainless steel M77 RSI in .223. That would be the cheapest way into a full stocked .350 Legend. It would probably cost close to $3000 to go that route. Plus finding a hens tooth .223 RSI for sale would be the biggest hurdle. Then making it a .350 Legend would totally ruin the value of that RSI.

stagpanther

I love novel ideas when building rifles--but why the obsession for a controlled-feed for 350L that you pay a high premium for? I'm just curious, not attacking the idea.

Big fan of the .280AI and .338-06, also fringe cartridges.
I think the 280 AI, now that nosler has laid down "the standard," is going to have a long overdue surge in popularity. I think it's one of the best all-around rifle cartridges ever conceived and companies are starting to introduce it to their line-ups.

If Nathan's 350L must be a controlled feed, the M77 looks like a great way to go, can't go wrong with a M77 (or M70) IMO. Finding someone with the skill and equipment to fit the barrel and set the headspace at the same time (unless you go the barrel nut route which Bart has mentioned in the past) is going to take money and time.

Last edited:

HiBC

What about choosing a bullet weight for the 350 L that tops out just under 2000 fps?
It would be a great window of cast bullet performance.
I'm not sure about cast bullets and the AR gas system,but the OP is talking about a bolt gun.
That would answer the bullet dia question. Use what fits the rifle.

7.62 man

What about choosing a bullet weight for the 350 L that tops out just under 2000 fps?
It would be a great window of cast bullet performance.
I'm not sure about cast bullets and the AR gas system,but the OP is talking about a bolt gun.
That would answer the bullet dia question. Use what fits the rifle.
I tried cast bullets trough my 350 Legend AR, I get no accuracy out of it at all.
I guess the rough cycling puts too much of a dent in the lead & it won't hit the same place twice. It may work in a bolt gun.

mehavey

CAST: Just pick right bullet(s) and powder.
No problemmo... (CMMG 16" upper)

350-LEE-358-200-Norma200-sm.jpg

url]

SAECO #352-240gr/Lym#2/ Sized .358"/Norma-200/24.3gr/2.26 OAL/QL:40,000psi/ALOX/1,721fps

350-Legend-SAECO-LEE-sm.jpg