Tell me what you think ...350 Legend hunting rifle

Pumpkin

It's much easier to find bolt guns that'll shoot .350 Legend than .357 Max. Are there any .357 Mag bolt guns with a magazine that can handle the length of the Max cartridge? Single shot rifles in .357 Mag make a lot of sense to rechamber to a Max with it being a rimmed cartridge. I can't imagine the cost involved in converting a bolt action rifle that'll function and feed .357 Max from a magazine reliably. While in comparison you can buy bolt rifles already chambered in .350 Legend or convert any .223 bolt face rifle for the cost of a barrel and installation.
I thought we were talking about a hypothetical rifle?
There have been a lot of bolt actions chambered for rimmed cartridges. 303 British, 30-30, 22 Hornet, 225 Winchester……. Should be able to make a dream gun work with the Max. I load 35 Remington bullets in my Contender, no shortage and matched almost perfectly for the velocity generated by the Max.

taylorce1

Pumpkin said:
I thought we were talking about a hypothetical rifle?

Sure if money is no object you can build a bolt action rifle that shoots .357 Max cartridges. You'd best be prepared for sticker shock. There will be a lot of hand fitting of parts to make it work properly. You'll never get a current manufacturer to invest in tooling up to build you a bolt action for a rimmed cartridge like the .357 Max.

When you suggested a bolt gun in the Max cartridge, I start to think on what can I make it work in? The Ruger 77/357 isn't going to work, and I'm not familiar with other bolt rifles in .357 Mag. That leaves you with either building a whole new action specialized for rimmed cartridges or modifing an existing action.

Pumpkin

Sure if money is no object you can build a bolt action rifle that shoots .357 Max cartridges. You'd best be prepared for sticker shock. There will be a lot of hand fitting of parts to make it work properly. You'll never get a current manufacturer to invest in tooling up to build you a bolt action for a rimmed cartridge like the .357 Max.

When you suggested a bolt gun in the Max cartridge, I start to think on what can I make it work in? The Ruger 77/357 isn't going to work, and I'm not familiar with other bolt rifles in .357 Mag. That leaves you with either building a whole new action specialized for rimmed cartridges or modifing an existing action.
Have you not heard of the Savage 340, Remington 788, M70 Winchester or CZ 527?
All available in either 30-30, 44 Magnum or 22 Hornet (not all available in each of these cartridges) and All Rimmed. The first two rifles were far from expensive rifles.

Pumpkin

I forgot, Gibbs 45-70 bolt gun and what about the Henry single shot or Ruger No. 1 and No. 3.
The No. 3 would be a great gun to bring back for straight wall cartridges.

taylorce1

Pumpkin said:
Have you not heard of the Savage 340, Remington 788, M70 Winchester or CZ 527?

I'm familiar with the Rem 788 .30-30, as well as Krag and SMLE rifles that all shoot rimmed cartridges. I never said your .357 Max bolt actuon rifle couldn't be built, just that it isn't practical. Nor is there any reason for a manufacturer to try to make a rimmed cartridge work in a rifle, when a rimless case is easier to work with.

After looking at things, any bolt action that can shoot 6.5 Grendel would probably be the easiest to make work with the .357 Max case. The rim diameters are similar. However, some bolt face and extractor work would be needed to account for the thicker rim of the Max cartridge. Then all you would need to do is build a magazine that can feed the cartridge, and install a barrel.

Pumpkin

I’m not implying that the Max is needed in a repeating rifle and I am prejudiced about it having had a 10” Contender for about 25 years. I’ve never shot anything out of it but hand loads with rifle bullets designed for the 35 Remington. Speer’s 180 Hot Cor is my favorite, I personally think pistol bullets are a waste for my use.
Your comment about a Ruger 77 chambered for the Max seems very doable for a company like Ruger. Should involve some lengthening of the action and the magazine, kind like they did with the Blackhawk. My biggest concern would be that they would restrict the chamber and mag length for pistol type bullets. Such a gun would also great in 350 L, or 444 Marlin (especially since they own Marlin) I’m just partial to the Max.

HiBC

A friend needed to source ammo for a Winchester semi-auto in 351 Self Loader.

Its pretty scarce.

He cut a 5C soft collet to hold and stop 357 Magnum brass in the lathe, and made a form cutter to turn the rim down and cut the extractor groove.

Sometimes rimless brass is a more practical project than making a firearm designed for rimless cartridges work with rimmed cartridges.

Just about anything CAN be done if you have the skill and money...

Whether the gains justify it might be debatable.

The straight wall case rule is an intentional ballistic disadvantage as an attempt at safety.

Similar to the simple project of converting to 300 Blk, same BCG, same mag, just change the bbl and chop the brass. Work out details and stick a 350 Legend upper on.. Make venison.

Its an EZ AR adaptation.

Like the 300 Blk, its not an earth shaking thunderhumping cartridge. If it will do the job for you,be happy!

But building a production rifle for a rimmed version or 357 Max?

Unrelated. Different project. Pump and lever guns and single shots would make a fine 357 Max. Maybe

If YOU are the guy with the lathe,mill, welder,file ,die grinder who gets it done, then you can say "Ought to be a simple little job"

stagpanther

The 350 legend has a very large extractor groove--interestingly so does the 22 Nosler, but with the latter I'ver never had any issues with head support.