So, who here has jumped on the Beretta 81?

fourbore

Do these M81 qualify for c&R and are any vendors accepting that? That would be 9/1969 or older.

I am, going to assume Beretta would use Italian proof codes so XXV is 1969. That is roman numberal 25. Down to I, which is 1 for 1945. Later years, they have a 2 letter code. Before 1945, I dont know.

Last edited:

Metric

Do these M81 qualify for c&R and are any vendors accepting that? That would be 9/1969 or older.
No, the series 80 pistols were introduced in the mid 1970's, and the only date code I've seen people mention for this particular shipment are from 1980.

Aw... damn it...

I've wanted one of these for years.

And just a couple of days ago I agreed to buy a friend's .32 Hand Ejector I frame second model...

jglsprings

Oh God you guys stink...

I just bought one from Classic...

And I'm still buying my friend's .32 Hand Ejector...
Glad to be of service...

220px-Facebook_like_thumb.png

Never happened if you don't post a picture...

Buy an 84 barrel and magazine and for another $225.00 bucks you have another gun.

GarrettJ

I ended up buying one of these things as well. I can’t think of a single reason why I would need one. But I fall for “that looks fun” all too often. Now I’m debating if I want to go to the expense of getting a threaded barrel and shooting it suppressed.

I bought mine through Gander Outdoors, and was able to have it shipped to their local store for pickup.

Overall it’s in pretty good condition. Finish is almost perfect. Unlike some who report theirs looked unfired, mine had obviously been used. The barrel was fouled with gunpowder residue, but it cleaned up with just a couple of wet patches.

I was able to get to the range just before dusk and put a box of 71 gr. Aguilar FMJ through it, which functioned perfectly.

I was shooting at 5, 10, and 15 yards. I’ll have to get out when there is decent light and back up a little farther, but getting hits at typical handgun distances was no trouble.

I like the size and feel in the hand. I realize I could get the same in .380, but I’ve intentionally avoided getting anything in that caliber. I load a lot of 9x19, and I hate when a piece of .380 brass finds its way in with my 9mm brass.

Here’s mine with its U.S.-made cousins. I’ll have to shoot it side by side with the 3032 Tomcat next time and compare.

xXnlAyHl.jpg

RdaX3sMl.jpg

HBoswell

Just ordered my second one. Like GarrettJ, I ordered this one from Gander. It's the updated 81BB model with a few upgrades, like better sights. That was my only problem with the first one, small sights and old eyes. The indoor range doesn't have the best lighting. I also did a little checking around for a decent price on ammo. Tried to find Fiocchi and had no luck and what I did find locally was $18-$25 a box. Ouch! Searched on-line and found it for $13 at Sportsman's Guide with free shipping. Bought all they had (16 boxes) and 4 boxes of Aguilla for the same price.

Granite28

Damn I want this gun bad and its at a great price to boot. My problem is here in NY 12 round mags are a no no. Anybody know were I can get a 10 round mag?
Put a couple of empty casings under the magazine spring and tell Gov. Cuomo to kiss it!

DavidAGO

Well, dang it. I got mine in Saturday morning. It looks like it is unfired, two very small rust spots on the slide, but otherwise very little wear.

Unfortunately, I cannot disassemble it. the take down lever works just fine, but the slide will not move forward. sounds like it is hitting solid metal. Not going to take a hammer to it.

all the controls are heavy, there is fuzz inside. guess I get to call classic tomorrow:(

David
Edit: hour and a half later, I got the slide off by putting in the mag and releasing the slide release, that jarred it loose. I see no sign that the pistol was ever fired but it has to have been the dirtiest pistol I have ever bought, and almost all my firearms were bought used. Dried up oil, some type of fuzz was all in it. The tight slide was because of a burr on the rail the barrel slides into. It was the whole length of the slide and looks to be a manufacturing leftover, not because of galling.

No, I did not take a dremel to it; I have all sorts of slipstones so I removed the burr with that.

so it does not need to go back, it probably needs a lot of shooting. it is pretty stiff. Hope it breaks in fairly fast, I only have about 200 rounds of .32.

Last edited:

jar

Well, dang it. I got mine in Saturday morning. It looks like it is unfired, two very small rust spots on the slide, but otherwise very little wear.

Unfortunately, I cannot disassemble it. the take down lever works just fine, but the slide will not move forward. sounds like it is hitting solid metal. Not going to take a hammer to it.

all the controls are heavy, there is fuzz inside. guess I get to call classic tomorrow:(

David
Try a couple things first. With the lever in the take down position rack the slide several times letting it snap forward forcefully. Do it over a soft surface and see if the slide does not simply come off. Make sure there is no magazine inserted when trying that.

Often old gunk and dried grease makes it lock up.