So, who here has jumped on the Beretta 81?

jar

My New-To-Me Beretta 81.

medium800.jpg

When I took the picture I noticed that someone had scratched "DAR" in the slide. Didn't notice that during my SPA Day or when cleaning after the range trip but it definitely showed up in the pictures. It's minor and I may try to touch it up or just fall back on Wabi Sabi.

medium800.jpg

Metric

Very nice indeed. After pondering a bit, seeing the condition of these, and having a look at "normal" prices on GB, I ordered a second one -- hand select. With some nice grips, I anticipate my wife is going to want one. She is a good shot, but very recoil/blast sensitive and currently opts to have a full-frame .22 nearby, over any of the very nice 9mm's she's tried.

Quick question -- do these have a mag safety? Pretty sure the FS version does, but no idea about these pre-B's.

smee78

"Yes, you can engage the safety with the hammer cocked and carry it as though it were a 1935 or Model 70."

I can on my new 1980 model that I just picked up today, but NO I cannot on my 1979 model. The safety will not engage with the hammer cocked on my older gun. I even tried it again just to make sure and it will not engage.

Metric

"Yes, you can engage the safety with the hammer cocked and carry it as though it were a 1935 or Model 70."

I can on my new 1980 model that I just picked up today, but NO I cannot on my 1979 model. The safety will not engage with the hammer cocked on my older gun. I even tried it again just to make sure and it will not engage.

A safety that won't engage when the gun is cocked sounds like a fairly serious, gunsmith-worthy issue.

TruthTellers

I'm thinking of getting one in .32, I've been wanting a larger size .32, too many of them are pocket pistols or just small and not meant for accuracy. The Beretta 100 is a dream gun, but hard to find and usually $500... can't do that. These 81's tho, I can.

Only thing is that they just look to me like Beretta 92's and it's like if I want a 92, I'll just buy a 92. I don't care for the design, at least not in something smaller than 9mm, but there's not much out there in .32 ACP that are along the lines of the 81.

If anybody has some pics comparing the size of the 81 to other pistols, please post them. I am thinking of getting one, but I'm also thinking of getting a Zastava M70 in .32

PSP

Here are several other .380s with both a Beretta 84 and 85 (same size as the 81).

That's a PPK/s, Sphinx AT380, P232, CZ83, P232SL with the two Berettas.

Last edited:

jar

There are several other choices in 32acp that I enjoy, and all slightly smaller than the Beretta 81.

Bernardelli Model 60: Single Action hammer fired
standard.jpg

Savage 1907: Single Action striker fired
standard.jpg

CZ Model 50: DA/SA hammer fired
standard.jpg

Ortgies: Single Action striker fired
standard.jpg

Beretta 1935: Single Action hammer fired
standard.jpg

Beretta Model 70: Single Action hammer fired
standard.jpg

jar

Part 2 of 32acp possibilities.

Colt 1903 Type 1: Single Action hammer fired 4" barrel
standard.jpg

Colt 1903 Type 3: Single Action hammer fired 3.75" barrel
standard.jpg

Walther Model 4: Single Action hammer fired
orig.png

Walther PP: DA/SA hammer fired
standard.jpg

JP Sauer & Sohns 38h: DA/SA hammer fired
standard.jpg

Nodak1858

Got mine in today from AIM, looks great. Finish is nice, grips are not scratched,barrel is clean. Just some fuzz in it, thinking from being carried. Even got an old fashion embossed label on the back of the grip, what I'm guessing is a name of ELISEO. Maybe the fellow who carried it? Now to decide if I need another one, must have pairs of everything.

Metric

Just a quick note: Placed my first order with Classic on Sunday, it still has not shipped as of Friday afternoon there. Not sure how fast the other vendors ship, but it may be of interest. Also just slightly more expensive than DK, when shipping is included. Will post pics.

reteach

OK, I'm gonna need somebody to come over here and shut this thread down. Please.

Wife and I just had a conversation about how we both need to stop being so cavalier about our spending. Not going broke or anything, just need to be a little more responsible. We were both saying the same thing. Then the next dang day, this thread pops up.

I like .32's. I have two .327 revolvers and two .32 ACP pistols. One of the pistols is a CZ 83. It looks to be almost exactly the same size as this Beretta. It was a surplus gun, but it's in great shape and it's very accurate and pleasant to shoot.

So I don't need one of these Berettas. Right? No matter how good a deal it is, or how nice they look, or how much I like .32's, I don't need one of these. Right? They look especially good with those wood grips, which would be fairly easy to find. But I don't need one. Right?

Please go someplace else to talk about them.

Comes with only one magazine. There! That's the reason I need for not buying one. Right?

Sluggederbore

You all got me excited for a minute, but now I see that I can't buy one anyway because I live in MA. I can't wait to move out of this godforsaken state.

Metric

Wife and I just had a conversation about how we both need to stop being so cavalier about our spending. Not going broke or anything, just need to be a little more responsible. We were both saying the same thing. Then the next dang day, this thread pops up.

Would you give your wife a pass if she wanted to buy some shoes that could be re-sold for double in 2-3 years, after she'd worn them a bit?

You all got me excited for a minute, but now I see that I can't buy one anyway because I live in MA. I can't wait to move out of this godforsaken state.

Don't you get some kind of special permission for taking one of these dangerous, assault-style "weapons of war" off the street?

TruthTellers

After hemming and hawing a few days ago and looking last night at the mag situation for these, it's a questionable gun to buy because the mags are in extremely limited supply, they all seem to be surplus mags that have been around decades, and the price for one of them is $40 plus shipping.

I'll stick with the Zastava M70, mags are actually available for those.

It's a bummer tho because the 81's are not bad pistols and being .32 on a steel frame they'll last forever even with lots of shooting.

reteach

Would you give your wife a pass if she wanted to buy some shoes that could be re-sold for double in 2-3 years, after she'd worn them a bit?

She can buy anything she wants. She has worked hard most of her life. (And deserves one pair of shoes, at least.) She says the same about me. It's just the timing of our discussion and these guns becoming available that made me rant a bit.

My point really was, the Berettas very appealing, but really don't need another gun. I can't get the ones I have to the range often enough as it is. But these 81s are very tempting. What I really need, Metric, and you too, jar, is for people to tell me reasons not to buy one.:D