So, who here has jumped on the Beretta 81?

Metric

My point really was, the Berettas very appealing, but really don't need another gun. I can't get the ones I have to the range often enough as it is. But these 81s are very tempting. What I really need, Metric, and you too, jar, is for people to tell me reasons not to buy one.:D

Here's something: The reviews appearing over at Classic have gotten more scary, in the last day or so. Looks like more of a lottery than I had hoped.

jar

Wow -- what did you do? And is that blue tint something you did, or was it already there in the correct lighting?

The tinting is more a difference in lighting; the first picture was using indoor lighting and flash while the second picture is natural lighting.

Started with 400 wet/dry sand paper and worked up to 2000 until all the initials (as opposed to wear) were gone. Did a thorough clean up, warmed the surface the did several coats of 44/40. Between coats I'd burnish with 0000 steel wool and ended with a wash & dry then wipe down with oil.

I tried not to remove normal wear along edges or holster wear.

smee78

They are surplus guns for $200 guys, what do you expect? A brand new gun???

Jar, love your work, looks great.

reteach

Because Aim Surplus just got in a shipment of 81BBs at the same prices.

Thanks very much for the heads up, jar. Not!

I can be strong right now because I can't call my FFL until tomorrow. So maybe over the next 11 or so hours I can talk myself down and just not make the call. Yeah. That's what I'll do. And by then all the dealers will be sold out. Yeah.

jar

About the only meaningful upgrade is the sights on the BB. Other than that, the standard 81's are just fine. They're a .32, you're not going to be needing serrations on the front/rear of the grip
There is also the firing pin safety that gets introduced on the B model, and that's probably a worth upgrade.

jar

Thanks very much for the heads up, jar. Not!

I can be strong right now because I can't call my FFL until tomorrow. So maybe over the next 11 or so hours I can talk myself down and just not make the call. Yeah. That's what I'll do. And by then all the dealers will be sold out. Yeah.
I sense the Farce is Strong in You.

libiglou

I have been looking all over the internet for converted 10 round mags and found a source. 3 mags for $110. Not sure I trust them though. I can't believe the difference of 2 rounds in a mag is preventing me from purchasing this gun. The 82 model is extremely scarce and expensive and the 70 is pretty pricy too. Not even sure any distributors would ship one without a mag. What torture. Gotta love NY. Can't wait to get of here.

TruthTellers

I have been looking all over the internet for converted 10 round mags and found a source. 3 mags for $110. Not sure I trust them though. I can't believe the difference of 2 rounds in a mag is preventing me from purchasing this gun. The 82 model is extremely scarce and expensive and the 70 is pretty pricy too. Not even sure any distributors would ship one without a mag. What torture. Gotta love NY. Can't wait to get of here.
All the .32 Beretta 70 and 80 series are scarce and the magazines are even more so. Finding 10 round mags for the 81... you're up the creek without a paddle.

Metric

All the .32 Beretta 70 and 80 series are scarce and the magazines are even more so. Finding 10 round mags for the 81... you're up the creek without a paddle.

If you go to gunsamerica and do a search for beretta 81 magazines, you'll find converted Beretta mags that hold 10, and also mec-gar mags that hold 14. Both are mags for the 84, converted to feed .32acp. I have ordered one of the 14 rounders (it cost $26), and I should be able to give some initial reports in about a week, assuming everything arrives on time with no surprises -- my beretta ships today from classic.

Metric

I can't believe the difference of 2 rounds in a mag is preventing me from purchasing this gun...Not even sure any distributors would ship one without a mag.

DK firearms explicitly says this in reference to the 81:

If you are in a state the limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds, we will delete the magazine from your shipment. We will credit you back $10.00 for the magazine on your purchase.

sevt_chevelle

If you go to gunsamerica and do a search for beretta 81 magazines, you'll find converted Beretta mags that hold 10, and also mec-gar mags that hold 14. Both are mags for the 84, converted to feed .32acp. I have ordered one of the 14 rounders (it cost $26), and I should be able to give some initial reports in about a week, assuming everything arrives on time with no surprises -- my beretta ships today from classic.

So you are converting 14 rd Beretta 84 mags from Mec-gar to work in your 81?
What is the process to doing so?

Metric

The conversion was already done by the seller, and they are advertised to work with the 81. I don't know everything that was done, but I'll be curious to see how they work.

jar

The conversion was already done by the seller, and they are advertised to work with the 81. I don't know everything that was done, but I'll be curious to see how they work.
Usually it is just a spacer at the rear inside to account for the shorter overall lrngth of the cartridge. It's also common when converting a 9mm Parabellum to handle 380.

74A95

Usually it is just a spacer at the rear inside to account for the shorter overall lrngth of the cartridge. It's also common when converting a 9mm Parabellum to handle 380.

The 32 Auto and 380 Auto are the same length.

32 Auto max OAL = 0.984"

380 Auto max OAL = 0.984"

scoobysnacker

I need some calipers :)

I have a similar situation, a FEG PA-63 (9x18), and an AP7 (.32), both Walther PP near-clones, that share slide and frame. The mags interchange. The feed lips appear to be slightly different, and the 9x18 mags will misfeed with .32s, they tip over and jam in the ejection port. I think the .32 lips are the slightest bit tighter, allowing the round to stay at the right angle.

Now, 9x18 is the slightest bit wider than 380, but I've read the 9x18 and 380 mags interchange.

I suppose the solution is a very slight crimping or squeezing of the lips, as the frames (and thus, the magazine dimensions) of the 81 and 84 are identical. I imagine it could be a fairly simple process, if you are comfortable bending metal.
It's harder than it sounds, I destroyed a High Standard 22 mag trying to 'tune' the lips. Too much and you jam it in the other way.

Metric

The tinting is more a difference in lighting; the first picture was using indoor lighting and flash while the second picture is natural lighting.

Started with 400 wet/dry sand paper and worked up to 2000 until all the initials (as opposed to wear) were gone. Did a thorough clean up, warmed the surface the did several coats of 44/40. Between coats I'd burnish with 0000 steel wool and ended with a wash & dry then wipe down with oil.

I tried not to remove normal wear along edges or holster wear.

That's interesting and your results look great. I may do something similar with cold blue, depending on the condition of my examples. I'm curious about your last sentence -- why did you avoid correcting the normal holster wear?