Smith and Wesson serial number search

DonR101395

The number you listed for the 10-5 is the assembly number, which is arbitrary and basically meaningless. The serial number of a Model 10 is found on the bottom of the grip frame. It will be a 6-digit number preceded by a "C" or a "D".

The Model 19 is 1976 production.

Thanks, that is in fact the only "serial" number on it. I haven't seen it, he sent me a pic but it didn't come out so I asked for another.

Thanks,
Don

Edit: Here are the pics he sent me. The same number appears in both places and there is no number on the bottom of the grip.
model10grip1.jpg

model10crane.jpg

Last edited:

carguychris

3906 - TDL28xx
5906 - VED15xx

TDL = 1989, I think (SCSW has TBL-TCB in 88 and TED in 89)
VED = 94-96

FWIW the SCSW has a handy hint for those who have the original plastic box for their modern S&W. The big white box end label is applied right when the box is sealed for shipment, and it has a 4-digit code after the serial number. This is a date code; the first number is the last digit of the year, and the next 3 numbers represent the day of the year numbered consecutively. :cool:

BADSBSNF81

FYI, when looking at box end labels, sometimes there is a considerble lapse in time between when a S&W is made and when it is shipped.

carguychris

Where is a good place to order the book?
It's in wide circulation. As the old Madison Avenue tagline goes, you can find is anywhere that quality new books are sold. :cool:

Amazon.com has it; almost anytime I look up any book about guns, it comes up in the "Buyers who bought this book also bought..." section, even though I already bought it from them. :rolleyes: My local Borders seemingly always has at least one copy in stock. All my local gun stores have it. You will NOT have trouble finding it. :D

novaDAK

my serial number is IMTOOCHEAPTOBUYTHEBOOK
Or in my case, I only own one Smith, and wanted to know the year so I wouldn't shoot +P in an older gun and wear it out, and came to a FREE forum, to seek FREE advice from fellow gun owners who know more about Smiths than I do :)

weedpindle

I have one S&W .38, it's old, and if it's too old to shoot modern ammo can anybody advise. Year of manufacture unknown.
Thanks

404xxx

carguychris

I have one S&W .38, it's old, and if it's too old to shoot modern ammo can anybody advise. Year of manufacture unknown.
Thanks

404xxx

If it's pre-model-numbered (i.e. there's no model number on the yoke frame), it's pre-1958 and .38Spl+P ammo is not recommended per the S&W "Revolvers - Modern Style" manual.

IIRC most knowledgeable folks recommend low-pressure loads for old .38S&W top-break revolvers to prevent premature wear. Reloading manuals often specify "Top Break" loads with less powder than the regular loads.

S&W made .38 caliber revolvers in several .38 calibers, 4 Hand Ejector frame sizes (I, J, K, & N), and a number of top-break configurations. An "old S&W .38" is too vague to get more specific about your particular gun. For a more comprehensive answer, please post some more info, including whether it's chambered in .38Spl, .38S&W, or .38 Long Colt.

Last edited:

adams551

I am so sorry for another hijacking post here but I've been trying for 2 days to find some info on the only gun I possess. I know of the Smith & Wesson Handbook but could never justify the $35.00 for my single question. I have a S&W .357 65-I that my father gave to me. The serial number is 1D15xxx. I am only really interested in knowing roughly when it was made. I grew up shooting with it and am simply curious about it's age. I'm guessing early 80's but really have no idea.

I apologize again and thanks for any info.

Brent

senior

Member In Memoriam
s-w manufacture date

Untill i can find and purchase that s-w blue book might i get dates on my two revolvers? S-w 64-8 serial #dax9xxx, and an older s-w classic i beleive, model 60, no dash serial #655109? thank you

senior

Member In Memoriam
date

after asking for manufacture date on my 64-8 i saw the note saying where to locate date on blue box, thanks

sarge83

Hey I have a couple I could use help on:

S&W M-19 .357's

Other is M19-3 6K502**

One is a M19-4 2K593**

thanks!