New forum closer to reality

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Decision reached:

machine guns under rifles
submachine guns under autoloading handguns
suppressors under accessories
SBR, SBS under rifles/shotguns respectively

No separate category for Cannon, so might end up in General.

Coronach

hello all from vacation land! (AKA Pennsylvania, land of the dial-up ISP)

A serious suggestion that could be completely impossible to do with the bulletin board software:

Allow current, verified TFL members to keep their user names and post-count. The authenticity of the account on the new server could be verified by the email address and password from TFL...dunno if the software allows admins to manually set post-counts, though.

Mike

Guyon

I'm with Coronach on the user names and post counts, if that transition is at all possible. It's not that I take any great glory in having 1000+ posts. In fact, I kind of like the idea of starting out even with C.R. Sam and watching him lap me.

It's just that the post counts give you an idea of who here has participated in the forum. Most of the names are familiar to me, but not all of them. It also gives you a better idea of who you might want to do a business transaction with on the Trade/Sale forums. Who'd you rather buy from--a member with 800 posts or a member with 1?

Oleg, thanks again for taking the initiative here. As most have said, if you need any financial "subscription" money to offset costs, just say the word.

Frohickey

I'm with Kaylee on this one...

Its time to normalize the Full-Auto and integrate them into Rifles, Submachine guns, or even Machine pistols.
Easy enough to filter through these, and if you don't and inadvertently express an interest in Full-Auto weaponry, and you end up being hot and bothered that the NFA started taking it away because of the Feds passing Prohibition... then its good. We want hot and bothered gun owners, the madder the better!

You could always add a small Full-Auto icon to the left of the title, so that people could filter it out that way.

Just my 5 cents worth... inflation, ya know. :D

TallPine

Oleg: when are you going to be able to make the URL of the new site known? Just want to make sure that I can find it - afraid that I'll somehow lose touch when TFL shuts off...

Though, I suppose you'll have a link from you other sites (sights? - there ought to be a pun in there somewhere :) ): "Self Defense a Basic Human Right" ...?

BTW, Gun-Talk is okay but somehow don't feel at home over there. In six months, this place has really grown on me.

Shmackey

I have to agree about the utility of the post counts. It's good not only for transactions, but also for "considering the source."

trapshooter

Oleg, everyone...at this point, it would be nice to transfer ID's, at least, and maybe post counts, but I'll be happy having someplace like this to go, no matter if that works or not..

Regarding the NFA issue, I can go either way. Fun stuff, and definitely should be included, but it's nice to be able to find stuff on the right shelf, I guess.

Thanks, Oleg.

Ledbetter

The post counts can be misleading.

I'm actually a six year old boy.

Seriously, I'll be happy with whatever community we can retain with one another. Many thanks to you, Oleg, and all involved. PM me if I can assist from here. Although I am fairly sure no one will assume my TFL user name, I know some are concerned about that.

Dave R

I'd vote for keeping the structure as close to TFL as possible. Don't make us learn a new one. Don't want to slow down the exchange of info while we climb a learning curve...

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
It is very likely that the forum will be up and running by Christmas. We are testing it right now. I will surely have updated links from my site, and will mention the new URL here as well. I think the sister site to TFL will prove itself a worthy ally.

oops

Are we talking about The High Road forum that I was sent to when clicking on reload here on the The Firing Line and then could not get back to the Firing Line for a while and now that I'm back at the Firing Line now I can't get back to the High Road. I need a drink!

By the way, I changed my name at the High Road just to confuse things.

Well, not sure I'm crazy about how the automatic stuff is going to be included...

A submachine gun in handguns?

Another name for the subgun is machine carbine, aka automatic carbine...

But, that's just a quibble.

As for keeping user names, since mine is my legal name, I'd like to do that.

Keeping our post number? Don't care about that. It's just a number that signifies nothing of any real importance.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Germans called it Machinenpistole.
Russians called it Pistolet-Pulemet (Pistol-Machinegun)
I could move it under rifles but SMG/PDW seems to make sense under handguns...will move it if needed.

bastiat

Keeping our post number? Don't care about that. It's just a number that signifies nothing of any real importance.

We could just have a basic system like "Junior Member", "Member", "Senior Member" and "Old Fart" :D