New 1911 Just Got The Hiccups

polyphemus

Just like the poster who sent his Ruger SR1911 back twice now for the front sight breaking off.
That really is apples and oranges.
Here's what I'm upset about,we're not talking about some obscure gun factory
out of Trabzon,Turkey.These are the people John Moses Browning was working
for when he invented the M1911.They know M1911s inside and out and this fact
weighs heavy when it comes to buying an M1911,people will pay a premium
because there is an assumption that this is a good firearm,well built and backed
by a hundred years of experience,OP's firearm does not work it has been twice
returned,for a while he was being blamed for the malfunction,insult upon injury.
OP does not need the run around he needs to get what he paid for,a pistol that
works.

3.Shot.Group.

Have you actually taken the gun apart and done the suggested inspection?

Until you actually do, I'm just going to assume that you're attention seeking. :D

3.Shot.Group.

The pics still don't really explain why the gun grinds to a halt at the point it does. If the round were merely ahead of the extractor, the hook could still snap over the chambered round; why is the gun stopping half-way into battery?

Not if there is another round competing for the chamber.

Just a WAG, but it's possible that he has an extractor issue + he's over lubing his mags, which could cause the next round to jump up and get stripped off by the slide coming forward.

Take those mags apart and clean off all that lube, get them dry and clean, then try again.

Have you actually taken the gun apart and done the suggested inspection?

Until you actually do, I'm just going to assume that you're attention seeking.

Yes, we have. Quite frankly that statement was out of line and is the equivalent of calling someone with a legitimate problem a troll.

3.Shot.Group.

I don't see any evidence of you having done that(and I was smiling:D when I said it). What about your mags; Have you cleaned out all the lube and gotten them dry?

You're on the internet, nothing has 100% proof. We're on a firearms forum for all the same reasons. We both have a good number of posts to show so. We both have a numerous count of threads started and posts. So there is no attention seeking or nothing to gain from "lying" about anything.

It's been checked by Colt twice. The OP numerous times. A range master and myself included. That's just what I know.

My mag is sparkling and clean. (chrome lol)

Crazy88Fingers

These mags are dry. All four of them. And I'm going to assume Colt glanced at the extractor at least one of the two times they've had it.

Just got off the phone with a Colt rep. She is going to bring it straight to the attention of the service manager and said I could request a new gun, but It's ultimately his call.

3.Shot.Group.

If you can't take a little ribbing without flying off the handle then go figure it out on your own bro. No one is here to serve you or cater to your problems, I just offered to help, and I don't think you have the right get POed if someone jokes with you a little. Seriously now, you have an attitude problem that's worse than the problem with that Colt.

Grow up son!

lol I wasn't upset..Just answering you, sorry I wasn't giggling the whole time?

Just got off the phone with a Colt rep. She is going to bring it straight to the attention of the service manager and said I could request a new gun, but It's ultimately his call.

Now that's progress. Are they going to call you back? More thank likely it'll be replaced when you send it back this time. Third times a charm!

3.Shot.Group.

lol I wasn't upset..Just answering you, sorry I wasn't giggling the whole time?

Yes you were, stop tying to deny it. Geezzzzz no wonder you can't get that gun fixed.

Lol, are you two a couple of girls or what?

Powderman

You know, this one has me scratching my head.

I have been working on (and with) 1911's for quite a while. I carry one on and off duty--and it's a Colt. It has never done anything like this at all.

A bit of brainstorming....

The 1911 has one small (to me) quirk, and that is the relatively steep feed attitude of the cartridge. The cartridge has to be first picked up by the bottom of the slide. It is pushed forward, and meets the feed ramp. There, it starts tilting up. The round is actually tilted at a fairly steep angle as it moves forward. Finally, the rear (rim) of the cartridge comes free and it supposed to slide under the extractor.

Keep in mind that Browning designed the magazine for the pistol, as well. Modern magazines are supposed to be "optimized" for feeding wadcutters.

Remember, the regular "GI" magazines have a completely different lip design.

So, just for the heck of it....

Try some GI magazines and ball ammunition. I agree that something is not right, and the gun needs to go back and possibly be replaced. But try a GI mag, just for the heck of it.

Crazy88Fingers

Would the magazines that came with the gun be considered GI? It's a Government model, for what it's worth. If they aren't, then I don't have any available.

Powderman

The magazines that came with your gun are CMC's (Chip McCormick). They are the OEM providers for mags for Colt nowadays. I carry 6 of them (one in the pistol, five on the belt) on duty, and two for off duty. They function well for me.

The GI mag is the one that looks like it has a "cone" shaped configuration in the feed lips as you look down. Wide in the front, tapering to the back.

Not saying that it will cure the problem--but it just might help.

And...one more thing to try, since you have someone there with a known good 1911.

Try switching extractors between the guns.

If the problem still persists, then something is SERIOUSLY out of plumb, and I believe that I would definitely ask for a replacement pistol.

I think I have a few GI magazines actually.

As for using my extractor, I think that's a good idea. However, I don't want to really run the risk of damaging my extractor if something is out of whack with 88's gun. It's hard enough to find a functioning 1911 as it is, why mess up one that actually works? (we're all friends here)

I really hope Colt makes it right for you bud!

Robk (a member on here can attest to this) I tried that on my Colt Series 70 that I traded him, with no luck whatsoever. I think I even sent him 3 extractors if I'm not mistaken. Maybe just 2 extra ones. Maybe he'll chime in.

I personally don't think another dime should be dropped into this gun, and that the manufacturer should just make it right already.

fire4606

Well at least you have an Internet "source" that knows better than Colt, THE MANUFACTURER, helping you I'm sure it will get straightened out right away.

Send it back to Colt, again, and this isn't a Colt only issue, my Sig 1911 was doing the exact same when new, more rounds and different mags and it stopped. Not the double feed stuff, the last round failure to feeds...