New 1911 Just Got The Hiccups

3.Shot.Group.

He's sent it back to Colt twice already to, and that didn't help either.

He says he cleaned the mags up good and dry, and that didn't help. Maybe he's shooting reloads that are out of spec? He also said he's using chrome mags? Don't think I've ever seen any of those except on a 1969 Camaro, but chrome plated mags sound like they'd be finicky.

I'm thinking it's the extractor and/or the breech face, but you'd think Colt would have checked all that 1 of the 2 times it was in for repair.

If it's a major design flaw, as he suggested before, then the flaw would be in the milling process and it would show up on other guns in the same run, so if there's a way to compare the serial number to those of other guns in the same run there would be a pattern of this issue coming up in many of those guns.

I don't think "chrome" is what it is. It does look chrome though.

apa8ype2.jpg

Anyways, regardless of mags this or build up that. A gun that's THAT picky, doesn't belong as a defensive pistol. Period.

Colt needs to see it a third time and make it right.

3.Shot.Group.

Where did you get that gun; Did you buy it new or used?

Looks like you've got a G.I. style mag, BTW. Just out of curiosity; Is that a government mag? I have a full sized 1911, and a government mag won't seat fully in IT, not sure what a full size mag might do in a government model though. Just a WAG.

Last edited:
New. It's a government model. Came with the gun. Zero malfunctions with ball ammo. I have the 7 round Colt mag it came with. I gave the 8 round Colt mag to an officer I know that carries it off duty.

3.Shot.Group.

Zero malfunctions with ball ammo.

I suspected that, and I suspect you're trying to get it to feed hollow points?

If the rounds are nosing up bend the mag follower down. If they're double feeding, then it's the extractor or the breech face is too rough with tool marks and the rounds are hanging up on it.

It's probably the breech face/extractor.

Can you take the gun apart, and take a pic of the breech face?