My NEW Beretta 92s

LynnTX

92s

WVsig,
I cleaned my gun and went to a nearby indoor range. I just could not wait to try it out. Well it ran flawlessly. I used a couple of brands of standard 9mm FMJ. Fired almost 100 rounds and the gun ran flawlessly. The single action trigger was excellent and and the reset is pretty much instantaneous.

Cleaned the gun again after the range trip. Looks beautiful. The take-down is nicely simple so it is easy to clean.

I also fired several mags through my Ruger Mark II .22 with 4" bull barrel . The Ruger is still deadly accurate. It has the same black bluing look as the Beretta. I couldn't get the same tight groups with the Beretta but they were certainly good enough to be effective.

LockedBreech

Mine is perfect, as I mentioned in the other thread, but interestingly both the front and rear sights are fixed, low-pro GI style sights, not 3-dot, and the safety isn't ambidextrous. Was that standard for the 92S?

Spent a lot of this evening toying with it. Came with a stainless guide rod and I got the third-gen locking block and plunger installed. Still marveling that I walked away for $336 shipped for this beauty + $40 for the current-gen locking block. My best gun buy ever. My 2013, current-production Italian 92FS cost me $550-560 when all was said and done.

AustinTX

Mine is perfect, as I mentioned in the other thread, but interestingly both the front and rear sights are fixed, low-pro GI style sights, not 3-dot, and the safety isn't ambidextrous. Was that standard for the 92S?

LB, those features are indeed historically "correct" for the 92S.

madmo44mag

SOG has got another shipment in for less money it looks like
They are not advertised like new but excellent with minor finish wear and very good with some finish wear.
The second level is priced at 279.00.

WVsig

SOG has got another shipment in for less money it looks like
They are not advertised like new but excellent with minor finish wear and very good with some finish wear.
The second level is priced at 279.00.

From what I understand they just changed the description and lowered the price because they were getting some complaints.

You can add $10 for a hand select and $20 for a excellent finished gun.

AustinTX

If any of you who bought these pistols want additional historically "correct," factory-original 92S mags, they're on sale at the site below for $25/ea, which is an excellent price. They're usually hard to come by, and they sell for a lot more than that.

The site says the sale will go on for 72 hours, but unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't say when the sale started. So if you want them at this price, you have somewhere between one second and ~71.5 hours to buy them. :p

https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/181/products_id/1679

madmo44mag

Based on what I have been reading I guess I was lucky getting such a nice 92 from SOG.
There have been a few times ordering from SOG that the ****y Old Guns did come to mind but for the most part I can't complain about SOG they have always made things right with me.
SOG is one of those companies that some times have hidden gems and the other times run of the mill stuff. Kinda ht and miss with them.

LynnTX

92s magazines

I would like to add that the magazines from Midway that were posted on this forum worked excellent in my 92S. My handgun just came with one Beretta mag so I ordered 2 from Midway while I was waiting for it to arrive. I got them same day I picked up gun from my local dealer. They worked flawlessly, just like the handgun. The only thing I would wish for is some slightly larger sights, but they were good enough shooting at range targets.

The 3 dot night sights on my Sig P250 are better, but everything else about the 92s is much better to me. I expect it will get even better with a little practice.
The single action trigger alone was worth the purchase to me.

I may experiment with some bright dots on my standard sights to see if my sight picture is slightly improved. It is easy to remove if it doesn't help.
Hey, I am on the wrong side of 70 so I need all the help I can get.

carguychris

AustinTX said:
If any of you who bought these pistols want additional historically "correct," factory-original 92S mags, they're on sale at the site below for $25/ea... The site says the sale will go on for 72 hours, but unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't say when the sale started. So if you want them at this price, you have somewhere between one second and ~71.5 hours to buy them.
Thanks for the tip. As of 30min ago, the sale was still going on, and I ordered some. :)

My pistol came in over the weekend and I put ~120rds through it on Sunday. :D I'll post pictures and a brief range report when I have time.

LockedBreech

If any of you who bought these pistols want additional historically "correct," factory-original 92S mags, they're on sale at the site below for $25/ea, which is an excellent price. They're usually hard to come by, and they sell for a lot more than that.

The site says the sale will go on for 72 hours, but unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't say when the sale started. So if you want them at this price, you have somewhere between one second and ~71.5 hours to buy them. :p

https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/181/products_id/1679
Outstanding, thank you. I have a good stash of 92FS mags but the plastic base pad looks super dorky on the 92S.

LockedBreech

Speaking of hard-to-find Beretta 92S parts, was there ever a nice wood or aluminum grip made for the 92S? I'm not loving the plastic grips.

WVsig

Grip makers can cut most any grip to accommodate the heel style mag release. I am sure there are some wood ones floating around but it might be hard to find them off the shelf.

carguychris

Well drat. I can't post pictures because my digital camera battery is dead and I can't find the charger. (I have GOT to buy a camera that doesn't require a proprietary battery. :( )

Some tidbits...
  • My gun has the very same "CHE009814" barrel marking as WVsig's pistol. I initially thought this was a police inventory number, but now I'm wondering if it's a contract number. (I can't make out the number on madmo44mag's pistol.)
  • My gun's serial number is almost exactly 7,000 less than that on WVsig's pistol, so either the contract was pretty large, or the pistols were delivered in several batches.
  • Mine also has the 2004 "BU" proof date.
  • My grips are slightly different than WVsig's; they're the same basic black high-impact plastic, but the checkering does not extend above the large circular Beretta trademark. (This may back up my multiple batch theory.) Madmo44mag's gun has this style of grips.
  • The "MP" marking on the slide is noticeably shallower than the PW Arms import mark, and there is a matching "MP" marking on the RH side of the barrel next to the chamber, although the lettering appears to be punched rather than electropenciled. The letters are not struck neatly, so I don't believe it's factory workmanship, but rather the work of a police armorer. Perhaps this is the abbreviation of the police agency, or a marking to indicate that the pistol had been formally struck off inventory.
At first, the gun wouldn't drop the mag freely, but to my embarrassment, I traced the problem to a spot of what appeared to be Scotch tape residue that I hadn't cleaned off the mag because I was anxious to get to the range. :eek: Now that I've cleaned off the old glue and lightly oiled the mag, it drops free. :)

The sights are quite usable despite their small size; fortunately, the front sight is broad enough to pick up quickly, unlike the sights on some other older European pistols I've shot. The gun is really accurate but the trigger pull is S-T-I-F-F and somewhat gritty, particularly DA. I'm going to dry-fire it a bunch to see if it smooths out, and I may order the D spring.

Last edited:

AustinTX

Speaking of hard-to-find Beretta 92S parts, was there ever a nice wood or aluminum grip made for the 92S? I'm not loving the plastic grips.

The civilian 92S came with wood grips, but good luck finding any factory originals for sale. You could post a WTB (want-to-buy) ad over on the Beretta Forum and see if any of the Beretta packrats have some extras lying around. That's probably your best bet for getting OEM wood grips for the 92S. They will probably be pretty pricey.

I don't know much about aftermarket grips and grip makers at all, but doing what WVsig suggested might be the easiest and cheapest way to get some wood grips that fit the 92S if you aren't dead-set on getting OEM grips.

WVsig

I love this thread and hearing about how many people are enjoying their 92s. I really like mine and love the old school look of the pistol. Something about a metal blued gun that warms my heart. ;)

EvilGenius

Man, that's pretty sweet.

I've been looking into getting another 9mm double stack, but wanted to keep it cheap. Hadn't ever really looked at Berettas until somebody showed me some links to these online.

Thanks for posting the pics! It's hard to get some close up looks at these things!

Now I just gotta off load a .22 conversion to fund one.