My NEW Beretta 92s

WVsig

No one is sure, yet, when these pistols were manufactured. On Beretta forum, there are photos of one of these 92S' with a 2004 date code.

Interesting. Looking closer at the pic on Dan's ammos site it looks like it might have a BU proof mark date code on the frame.

Also look at this pic from the Beretta forum posted by Top Gun Supply who has some of these. You can see the BU date code on the Italian proof mark. This points to these being made in 2004 if you go by the Beretta date code system. That would make them a newer than expected and would certainly have better metallurgy. Is it possible that they had to produce these guns for a contract?

92s-right-side_zps91b70837.jpg

92s-proof-marks_zps537a0374.jpg

Last edited:

reddog81

What do you think of the sights?

I was looking at getting one of those ordered, but noticed the sights look pretty rudimentary. It looks like the rear sight could be replaced but the front sight appears to be part of the slide.
If there is one thing that turns me off on handguns it is sub par sights. I realize they are milsurp/police guns so you can't expect match grade performance but still that front sight looks like nothing more than a little numb. Any thought on upgrades available?
Sorry to hijack thread but I really want one, however I don't think I would use it much if I didn't like the sights.

ninjarealist

I have one scheduled to come in tomorrow (I can't believe it will actually be delivered on a Saturday but that's what the tracking website says) and will post date info when it comes in.

I'm excited to hear that these might be relatively new. It sounds like from what you guys are saying that these early 2000s models would be less vulnerable to the low round count slide failure that has plagued many versions of this gun.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Grunt96

Excellent pistol. If you haven't already, head to Brownells and purchase the D hammer spring. Reduces DA pull by about 4lbs, and reduces SA a small amount. For me it's a huge difference, and great improvement over the stock spring in DA mode.

AustinTX

No one is sure, yet, when these pistols were manufactured. On Beretta forum, there are photos of one of these 92S' with a 2004 date code.

Very interesting. I wonder if the parts were made a long time ago and the guns only assembled and proofed in 2004 (and other recent years). One of the photos I've seen of one of the NIB-condition guns (I swear I thought it was posted in this thread -- I must be losing my mind) showed plumming of the bluing on the takedown lever and slide stop, which makes me think those parts are much more than ten years old. (Of course, plum-colored bluing can also happen right away with particularly hard steel, so maybe those parts got extra heat treatment. Who knows.)

I'm excited to hear that these might be relatively new. It sounds like from what you guys are saying that these early 2000s models would be less vulnerable to the low round count slide failure that has plagued many versions of this gun.

Slide failure was never anything more than a very limited issue with a batch of slides produced with a flaw in the metallurgy (combined with the use of very hot ammo). It wouldn't be an issue in these guns even if the parts were from the 1978-82 period. The issue I was referring to was one common to the frames of all aluminum alloy-framed guns produced in those days, not the slides.

LockedBreech

Austin, do you have any idea of the third-generation locking blocks will fit in the 92S? I can't seem to dig up an answer to that question and it seems like a fairly cheap way to reinforce the gun.

AustinTX

Hey LB, yeah, the third-gen. locking block will work in the 92S, but it needs to be paired with the third-gen. plunger. (I think they're always sold together anyway.)

ninjarealist

Just received mine from Dan's today. It was literally dripping with green oil when I took it out of the box:

U7ZFmlj.png

And here is the BU mark:

7we2U8Y.jpg

I haven't taken this to the range yet (my FFL is a range so it was VERY tempting) but I am extremely happy with the condition this gun is in. It truly seems to be an NIB gun.

@AustinTX Thanks for the clarification on the slide vs frame issues.

Last edited:

ninjarealist

@LockedBreech

Why is the third gen Locking Block so important? The one that came in the gun seems to be in extremely good condition. I compared it to the locking block on my roommate's Elite 1A and it seemed identical.

LockedBreech

ninja,

Improvements in metallurgy and engineering over the years have led to three generations of Beretta locking block. The most recent, third-generation block is a significant improvement in durability and longevity, on average, over the earlier generations.

Since it's the most likely failure point on an otherwise exceptional design and only a $35 part, it's a very worthwhile upgrade to older Berettas.

Of course, there are those who have put a first generation locking block through heavy use without any issue. Similar to buying a $15 reinforced striker retaining pin on an HS2000/Springfield XD pistol, it's just a fairly cheap insurance policy on an otherwise great design.

Pilot

I have a new 92FS that I bought about a year ago. Installed the D spring, and Elite II hammer, but I have to say, I want one of these also. I like the rounded trigger guard, and traditional bluing. With a new locking block installed, I see no downside to this pistol.

thedudeabides

D spring is probably the best and cheapest mod any Beretta can have.

I have one of the Italian Police 92s. It's a great gun, but I have to dremel grips to fit the weird release.

LockedBreech

I've heard the D spring recommended many times re: the 92, but I don't find the standard DA pull of the 92 that troublesome. I also don't know how to swap out a trigger spring. If it's fairly easy, I'll give it a shot, why not?

Grunt96

I've heard the D spring recommended many times re: the 92, but I don't find the standard DA pull of the 92 that troublesome. I also don't know how to swap out a trigger spring. If it's fairly easy, I'll give it a shot, why not?
The D spring is an easy install. There are youtube videos on how to do it. Just be aware that the USA made models have a straight pin holding the lanyard, and the Italian ones have a roll pin. I recommend buying the USA pin when you buy the D hammer spring as it is much easier to insert back into the weapon. If you have the Italian and want to keep the roll type pin then I recommend ordering a spare when ypu order your D spring; since they are more fragile tham the USA made straight pin (normal pin).