My NEW Beretta 92s

Mrgunsngear

The D spring is an easy install. There are youtube videos on how to do it. Just be aware that the USA made models have a straight pin holding the lanyard, and the Italian ones have a roll pin. I recommend buying the USA pin when you buy the D hammer spring as it is much easier to insert back into the weapon. If you have the Italian and want to keep the roll type pin then I recommend ordering a spare when ypu order your D spring; since they are more fragile tham the USA made straight pin (normal pin).

Yup

Here's my video tutorial on installing a D spring

ninjarealist

Would the D Spring make the trigger puller heavier or lighter?

I have to stay that the stock trigger feels scary light to me. The SA feels well under 3.5 lbs and the DA feels like it's less than 10 lbs which is lighter than I would prefer.

So if the D Spring lightens the trigger pull, then I think I'll pass because the stock trigger feels a bit too light already.

madmo44mag

The date code on mine is 1998.
I ordered a hammer spring pack from Wolf springs today.
It has all the springs rates in the pack so I can tune the DA trigger pull in.

ninjarealist

@WVSig

I see. In that case I definitely won't be installing the D Spring. The trigger on this gun isn't perfect, but it's very good, although a little lighter than I would like for a pistol I plan on keeping at the ready.

I have to say, I'm surprised by how light this factory trigger is. I did some research and apparently there is a lot of variability on the factory triggers that come on Berettas. Have you guys ever gotten one with a stock trigger this light?

Dragline45

LockedBreech said:
I've heard the D spring recommended many times re: the 92, but I don't find the standard DA pull of the 92 that troublesome. I also don't know how to swap out a trigger spring. If it's fairly easy, I'll give it a shot, why not?

Absolutely get the D spring, the difference in DA trigger pull is night and day and takes only a few minutes to install. It's the spring Beretta uses in their DAO models, so it won't compromise reliability.

WVsig

@WVSig

I see. In that case I definitely won't be installing the D Spring. The trigger on this gun isn't perfect, but it's very good, although a little lighter than I would like for a pistol I plan on keeping at the ready.

I have to say, I'm surprised by how light this factory trigger is. I did some research and apparently there is a lot of variability on the factory triggers that come on Berettas. Have you guys ever gotten one with a stock trigger this light?

Do you have trigger scale? Sometimes a smooth trigger can be mistake for a light trigger. Factory triggers vary from gun to gun but most of the time in a DA/SA gun like the 92S the DA is where there is the most variance. I have seen stock guns vary up to 3 lbs. For example one listed at 12lbs factory and people getting 13lb to 10lbs.

If mine has a 10lb trigger in DA mode I will be more than happy. Still will put a D spring in for comparison but I would be very happy with a smooth 10 lb DA trigger.

ninjarealist

@WVSig I admit I don't have a trigger scale. Those are just estimates of what the trigger feels like relative to other guns I own and have fired a lot.

As you say it may just be because the trigger is smooth. It really doesn't seem to stack at all, and there is very little creep. My main complaint with the trigger is that it has a lot of takeup, but honestly, I don't really mind the takeup.

WVsig

Glad to hear it does not stack and that there is no creep. Take up is often present in DA/SA guns. Just the way it is.

I am going to be picking mine up later today and will post some pics and a target if I can get out to the range.

I did find out some info or some rational speculation on these pistols. This is from the Beretta Forum. All the bolded parts what was posted on the Beretta forum.

It appears to me that these 92S examples are different from the standard 92S version produced in the 1980's. Maybe a special run made only for the Italian military/police? I'll speculate that's the case. It's interesting that they would stick with such an older model, not to mention that they actually blued them instead of applying the Bruniton. It would be nice to know if they actually produced these in 2004. Or were they produced in the 1980's, stockpiled and then proofed 20 years later. That seems hard to believe.
- Much later date code BU = 2004
- Extra markings "PM" on slide and barrel,
- Some other type of serial number on the barrel?
- Possesses the larger hammer pin and corresponding slot in the slide that was introduced with the 92FS -JoseyWales2

From what I have read and been told by people who have picked up their guns is that there is some variance in what people got. I have seen date codes from 1998 - 2004 all of which is well past the date that the 92S was in regular production. There is a member of the Beretta forum who has one which does not have the larger hammer pin and slot in the slide that is present in the 92FS. A date code was not provided for that particular gun but it was bought at Bud's and showed wear and was not one of the excellent/NIB guns found at Dans or SOG.

This is was also posted over there:

I've been in touch with Vins_cb on this topic, and he provided a couple of pieces of information that I either forgot or never knew. Those are that firearms produced in Italy for the Italian armed forces (including police) do not have to be proofed, and that it was a common practice in Italy to send your 98F to Beretta in Gardone and have it converted to FS by swapping the hammer pin and milling the slide.

His thinking is that the pistols were manufactured in the early 1980s and sold to police/military, who issued some and stockpiled the rest. The FS hammer pins and milled slides may have been done when all the 98F owners were having theirs done, or when the pistols were traded back to Beretta for newer models. In either case, Beretta wanted to sell these trade-ins on the civilian market and had to get them proofed to do so, which they did in 2004.

That explanation fits neatly with what we can observe.

He didn't have an explanation for the alphanumeric string on the barrel or the MP on the barrel and slide. -holepuncher

I found all of this very interesting.

ninjarealist

@WVSig

I found that very interesting too. I guess this gun might have an older frame that's prone to problems after all then? And the locking block is probably equally problematic?

With that being said, I find it really cool that these are guns that have essentially been in storage since the 80's only to be modified and re-stored again in the late 90's early 2000's. I'm really attracted to guns with this type of history. Could the fact that these guns were made in the 80's have anything to do with the trigger feeling so nice?

WVsig

Well I picked up my new to me 92S. It looks like it has never been fired. The barrel shows no wear. There is a small amount of wear on the slide release/slide stop lever but only on the left side. It is only in the finish. Looks like it might have been caused by not enough storage lube. Other than that the gun looks 100% NIB. The little bit of wear in that part does not bother me since the gun was bought to be shot and it will wear anyway with shooting.

Gun has BU date code stamp which makes is 2004. The wear in the slide stop/slide release lever leads me to believe that these we in storage and proofed in 2004 but not made in 2004.

The gun has the larger hammer pin and the 92FS channel in the slide. Here are a few pics...

Last edited:

carguychris

WVsig, what differentiates the 92FS channel, and do you know what generation of locking block the gun has?

I'm a bit of a n00b as it comes to 92's. :eek:

[EDIT TO ADD] Do you believe that the little "MP" marking on the LH side of the slide by the word "PARABELLUM" was applied by PW Arms, or do you think it's a pre-existing Italian marking? I ask because the lettering appears electropenciled, but does not appear to match the import mark, at least not superficially.

Last edited:

WVsig

[EDIT TO ADD] Do you believe that the little "MP" marking on the LH side of the slide by the word "PARABELLUM" was applied by PW Arms, or do you think it's a pre-existing Italian marking? I ask because the lettering appears electropenciled, but does not appear to match the import mark, at least not superficially.

I agree it was done by PW arms but I have not confirmed it.

You can see the channel difference in this pic: Beretta came up with using a larger head hammer pin and a channel cut in the slide to clear it in normal operation. If the slide does separate, the back half (the part that can be otherwise blown off) now would run into the head of the hammer pin and remain on the frame.

IMG_4610.jpg

I was able to pop off about 25 rounds in my backyard range and the gun ran 100% It has a typical Beretta DA pull and SA was clean. According to my digital trigger pull scale the DA is over 12lbs and the SA is about 5.3 on a avg of 5 pulls. I will be ordering a D spring for mine.

Grunt96

Would the D Spring make the trigger puller heavier or lighter?

I have to stay that the stock trigger feels scary light to me. The SA feels well under 3.5 lbs and the DA feels like it's less than 10 lbs which is lighter than I would prefer.

So if the D Spring lightens the trigger pull, then I think I'll pass because the stock trigger feels a bit too light already.
It lightens the DA pull by about 4 lbs, and lightens the SA very little (maybe 1/2 lb)

mavracer

If you want a new looking one don't order from Bud's just picked mine up and while the interior is nice and new looking and it has what appears to be a new barrel and locking block, it has a lot of blue wear. I'm ok with it as I just wanted a 92 for the collection, I doubt I shoot more than a box thru it and it'll look right in line with my other euro trash.

LynnTX

92S

WVsig,
Your photos are impressive. I know the average guy cannot do such justice to that good looking gun. Do you use a large light diffusion box to get that soft light look you achieved? I salute your photo skills sir. I also think that is a nice handgun at a bargain-basement price.

LynnTX

WVsig

@WVSig

I found that very interesting too. I guess this gun might have an older frame that's prone to problems after all then? And the locking block is probably equally problematic?

With that being said, I find it really cool that these are guns that have essentially been in storage since the 80's only to be modified and re-stored again in the late 90's early 2000's. I'm really attracted to guns with this type of history. Could the fact that these guns were made in the 80's have anything to do with the trigger feeling so nice?

Thanks for the compliment. I am really not that good a photographer just like I am not that great a shooter. I do ok but real professionals do much better. I shot these pictures in a homemade light box. It is made our of PVC pipe and some clamp lights with daylight bulbs. I use different color paper board for backgrounds. Total cost is about $20-$25. IIRC. Here is something similar to what I built.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Back to the good part.... These 92s are a bit of a mystery. Even over at the Beretta forum there is more speculation than fact. Looking at the finish and the metal my uneducated guess is that these were made in the 80s and proofed at different times later in their life. I cannot imagine that they would have run such small number of discontinued pistols 20+ years after they ceased regular production but who really knows.

The trigger on my guns is excellent. I really like it and am looking to get D spring into it ASAP. Will report back about its effects on the trigger.

LynnTX

92S

WVsig,

I am so glad you posted about your 92s. I got one on order from Dan's before he sold out. I paid the little extra for the collectors grade he offered.
I picked it up from my FFL dealer this afternoon.

When I took it out of the box, I was a little stunned. Although I had seen some nice photos, I did not want to assume mine would be that nice. Well it exceeded my expectations. As far as I can tell, it looks "new" to me. I am going to clean it now - dripping with oil !

I will try to take some pics tomorrow when I have time.
Feels like Christmas came early this year.

Regards,
Lynn

WVsig

WVsig,

I am so glad you posted about your 92s. I got one on order from Dan's before he sold out. I paid the little extra for the collectors grade he offered.
I picked it up from my FFL dealer this afternoon.

When I took it out of the box, I was a little stunned. Although I had seen some nice photos, I did not want to assume mine would be that nice. Well it exceeded my expectations. As far as I can tell, it looks "new" to me. I am going to clean it now - dripping with oil !

I will try to take some pics tomorrow when I have time.
Feels like Christmas came early this year.

Regards,
Lynn

I am glad that so many people were able to get some of the 92s from Dan's Ammo. Dan is an excellent seller and offers excellent deals on "import" and surplus guns. He is very accurate with his grading. If it says excellent you get an excellent gun. I trust him and I am glad he came through for so many members. I hope everyone enjoys their 92s as much as I am enjoying mine!

I will also throw out there that he has great prices on ammo as well. :D