Most extraordinary shot you ever made.

M1911

A friend let me shoot his antique, octagonal barrel, muzzle-loading plains rifle. I fired one round, offhand, at 50 yards, right in the x-ring. He and his son were amazed. I knew enough not to attempt a second shot and quit while I was ahead.

bcavin

i know it's not politicaly correct, but...

...i learned that if a stray cat is running across your field of view, and you put the bead of a 12 ga about 6 inches in front of said cat, and you're shooting 00 buckshot from a very, very, very full choke (daddy's old 870), the front half of the cat will continue to run, while the back half rolls to a stop fairly quickly...

Dave85

Here's two...you decide.

First up: the very first shot out of my 10/22 hit the X dead center at 50 yards. I was pretty happy with my new purchase.

The other great shot of my century, and the one I still smile when I think about, was a snap shot from the hip with my Crosman 1377 air pistol when I was 16. I whacked a blue jay cold at 30 yards. I felt like Han Solo.

sw_florida

I was about 10 years old and had made a bow from a good limb of juniper. I had made arrows too: straigt, sharpened, thin limbs with a cut at the end, for the string. I practiced some with my bow and arrows on our lot in the woods. When a neighbor's son came by I said that I was good with the accuracy. Prove it, said the neighbor's son. Stand there and I will shoot an arrow real close by you, I said. With ten yards for the arrow to reach him, I let go of the arrow. Shooting by, the arrow almost touched his temple on his left side, an inch from his eye. That was close, said the neighbor's son. Only afterwards did I start to shake.

OldCorp

Mine was many years ago. Attending college in a fairly rual area. A buddy and I were out in a jon boat in a swampy area, fishing. I had a recently-acquired S&W .455 HE revolver. I had made up some shotshell handloads using '06 brass that went the whole length of the cylinder. We paddled up silently to a small group of ducks and I stood up to try to jump-shoot one with one of the shotshell loads as they got up. Unfortunately, the homemade shotshells were equipped with rifle primers, which the revolver could not strike hard enough to fire. So, the gun had 3 homemade shotshells in halfmoon clips and 3 .45 ACP handloads with 230 gr. RN lead handloads. After 3 misfires with the ducks jumping, the 4th round was a regular .45 ACP. I swung way out ahead of the last duck as he flew right to left at about 100 yds., and fired what I thought was simply a 'Hail Mary'. the duck folded like he'd hit a wall. We retrieved it and sure enough, there was a .45 hole center-of-duck. Could not do that again in a 1000 years.

parrothead2581

When I got my first 1911, it was also my first .45acp, my grandfather and I took it to the home of some friends to try it out some. They live in a rural area, and shooting outside won't alert local SWAT.

My first shot, 50 yards, was a bullseye. I really wish I had just pulled that target down and kept it as is. Didn't do it again. :(

K-Minus

For fun,I go out and shoot corn stalks in half at 50 yards with the rear sights
on my ruger 10/22 folded down...

Oberg

My cousin and I were out shooting birds and what not with our 22's when we were roughly 14 or 15. that would be like 5 6 years ago. I had my 10/22 and he his pump action henry. all day I was giving him crap that he can't hit anything so I looked up and bet him a $1 if he could shoot a barn swallow midflight. he looks up and shoots and the bird damn near hit me. So only to make it fair I told him I get a chance. As luck would have it I hit the swallow right in the head. Tried for the next hour and we couldn't do it again.

Also I was out trying to kill a beaver that had been daming up our road. I had my 870 with a 3 1/2 T's and my hunting buddy with his 06. we are standing on the side of the road near dark and a dragon fly lands on the end of my barrel. I couldn't resist I took the safety off and fired.. never seen the dragon fly but the flame was about 10 long and I about broke my hand. I assume he didn't feel any pain

bushidomosquito

I bought a PSE bow in 98 that was more accurate than I could ever be. I set one pin at 80 yards just for fun and was surprised how well it would group at that range. Took it to a cabin camping trip just for something to do and this drunk guy with 2 broken arms (no kidding!) came up and told me that he was the best archer in the state and how he wished he could prove it. I told him I could hit a hedge apple off a stump that was about 60 yards away as I figured my groups had been about twice that size at that range so I had maybe a 50/50 chance but he called b.s. Bet him $20, walked out and set the biggest stinkapple I could find on the edge of the stump and walked off the 80 yards back which put me about 20 yards further back than I was standing when we made the bet. I made the most careful shot with a bow in my life and the arrow went straight down diagonal through the apple and stuck in the top of the stump. The drunks wife dug the money out of his pocket for him and he paid up and left and I left the arrow there because I thought it was such a perfect shot. The next morning he came around sober and thanked me for leaving that arrow there because he wouldn't have believed it otherwise. He asked me if I lived in Missouri and I said I was on the Kansas side. He said that was good because he really liked being best in his state. Less than a year later I traded that bow for a mountian bike and then the bike for a Rem 700 and never touched another bow again. :D

Alleykat

O.K.!!! Here I am after a day at the er....range.

Happybob.jpg

jimbob86

Two Years ago.....

I made a really excellent shot right after I made a REALLY BAD one:

I was on deer stand with my daughters (age 8 and 10) shortly after sunrise, and the 8 year old was complaining her feet were cold already, though we had only been there an hour. A doe stepped out or the tree-lined creek onto the alfalpha field, about 200 yards away..... what the heck, I'll take her. I lined up the crosshairs, squeezed, and .........nothing. "Crap. Safety." Sound carries extemely well in the cold still air of a November morning.... The deer's ears locked onto my muttered curse, and she bolted just after I clicked the safety of and reaquired a sight picture. I rushed the shot, and her back legs kicked up, accompanied by the hollow "PLOP!" of a gutshot. The doe took off across the hayfield toward the unpicked cornfield 1/4 mile North of us. I followed her in the scope and sure enough, there as a piece of her inards hanging out below her belly. I stood up and moved to get a clear shot (the girls were on my left, the direction I had to swing the gun to follow her). At about 300 yards, I took a shot while standing, and she kept running. She got to the middle of the section, and turned west toward the cornfield. She had to be at least 400 yards away....... and inexplicably paused, 20 yards from the safety of the standing corn. So I at down, looped up, and held about the depth of her chest over her back, let out half a breath and squeezed. Recovering from the recoil, I could not find her in the scope. I stood up, with a sick feeling..... here I was talking to the kids about making good shots, as to not waste an animal.........

"You hit her, right, Daddy?", Eldest interrupted my further muttered cursings.

"Yeah, right in the guts....."

"Well, then go to to where you last saw her. That's what you say all the time." ..... sage advice from a 10 year old.

We walked out onto the hayfield, to find that 50 yards from the corn, the ground dipped. The doe was stone dead, right where we last saw her. Upon field dressing (which was not near as messy as I thought it would be), we found that the first shot had passed through her paunch, pulling part of it out the exit wound on the far side, and either the second or third bullet had ripped her heart in half. I had scored a heart shot, made either from 300+ yards on a running deer while standing, offhand, or a 400+ yard shot sitting.... so it all turned out well in the end. Middle Daughter even forgot about her cold toes, though she has been tagged with that as a nick-name, ever after.

2ndchance

3 quick stories. Luck was on my side.

I use to have a group that goes the last Sunday of every month to do some desert shooting. Here's 3 stories.

A bunch of us went out to the desert to blow up some used computers. I brought only handguns. The neglected to tell me to bring my shotgun, as they were bringing an auto clay thrower. Later that day I had my Astra A70 compact 9mm in hand and just trailing the clays as they flew through the air. One clay got away from everyone so I took a shot and clipped the corner of it. It didn't shatter, but 7 witnessed a piece flying off of it. For the next 5 years I've been trying to duplicate that... no luck.

Another year one of them brought a Bear compound bow. Two of us shot an arrow in mid-flight. That fact that two of us did it was just freakin crazy!

Last, I bought a Henry Mini-Bolt for my son. Before giving it to him I wanted to show my wife how accurate it was. I set up a spent 12ga shell on a wood block and shot it off at about 25 yards. My wife said that it was too big of a target so she set up a spent 22LR shell instead. I could barely see it but estimated its location by using binoculars. One shot and Boom! It went flying and you can see it glimmer in the sunlight. We walked up to the block and her jaw dropped!

M1911

A friend of mine brought an antique, octagonal-barreled plains rifle (muzzle loader) to the range. It had a single bead front sight, IIRC. We were at 50 yards. He asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I fired one round off-hand. Bullseye. He and his son were very impressed. I was smart enough not to take a second shot and destroy my illusion of competence.

scottycoyote

i decided to take my browning buckmark 22 pistol squirrel hunting one fine autumn day. Well i was spraying shots all over the woods, plenty of squirrels but not hitting a thing. Well i had shot at and chased this one squirrel and he was flattened out on a limb and i was searching for him. He took off running up a tree over my head (prob 20, 25 feet and i twirled and snapped off a shot on him just as he went over a limb. All i could see was his tail sticking straight out, but he wasnt moving. I stood there waiting for him to make a move when he slowly tumbled backwards and landed at my feet. I had hit him right behind the ear, couldnt do that again to save my neck lol

TheNatureBoy

The first time I ever fired a shotgun I killed a big ten point (awesome rack), 150 lb. buck at 5 yards. It was the first day of the first time I've ever been hunting, and the first time I had ever seen a live deer. To say that I didn't know what I was doing would be an understatement. To this day it amazes me that I was able to overcome buck fever and make the shot. I've made some other pretty impressive shots with rifles over the years, but I have to say that was the most extraordinary shot I've ever made. :)

anygunanywhere

Two tied for first place.

I dropped a doe on a dead run - shot her through both lungs just behind the heart.

Killed a charging feral pig, a sow, with a .44 magnum. Bullet entered down angle between her shoulders, severed her spine. She stopped moving 3 feet in front of me. I was on the verge of soiling my britches.

Anygunanywhere