12.5 mm / 0.5 in.

LINE OF SIGHT
144 mm / 5.67 in.
BARREL LENGTH
88 mm / 3.46 in. BARREL RIFLING
right hand, octagonal
LENGTH OF TWIST
400 mm / 15.75 in.

Same size as the 26 and 27, carries 6, 10 on reload, and, that's a 200 grain bullet moving along at about 1050 fps, out of a full sized, 950 fps, IIRC. and, it's at 23k pressure, not 35-40k like the 9mm and 40...

Someone should mention the .41 Magnum. It gives you pretty much everything the .44 will, but, in a .357 sized package.

crankyranke

cw40

i have a cw40 as my summer carry gun and i carry it all the time unless im drinking i have only put 600rds thru it, but so far i have not had any sort of malfunction. i also have a p11 and a G27 my cw outshoots and handles recoil better. u just have to get used to the trigger which is a bit long but is smooth and breacks clean.

Tom2

You all might be preaching to the choir, the O.P. has not come back to post yea, nay, or fizzle your gizzards.

imthegrumpyone

Let's see .38 spc derringer- P-40 Kel Tec - Kahr CW-40, they'll have a punch but there are smaller 9mm and.380 that will do the job as well !!:D

insman1132

Thanks everyone for your input. In answer to some questions:

1. What type of clothing do you wear day-in and day-out mostly?
Live in FL so wear very casual, light weight clothing, most of the time.

2. How large of a person are you?
5'9" 180 lbs Age is 73

3. Do you have a preference in caliber/are you concerned about recoil force??
No. Just looking for the easiest concealment with the hardest hitting power. I have been led to believe the .32 and .380 and 9mm cal's do not have enough stopping power, but when you start getting much larger cal's the concealability starts waining.

Looking for sure stopping power with a torso shot at about 25 feet. I can handle the recoil concerns.

Officer's Match

Then I wholeheartedly recommend the G39 if you can conceal it. You won't believe how accurate a GAP is, and it is much more pleasant to shoot than a G27.

Poseidon28

Nice to have you stop by, and give us a bit more info.

The PM9 in 9 mm, with Federal HST, or double tap ammo is a great package for power, vs. concealability. At 20 oz, it's great for a second gun, and, almost pocket carry.

The most punch in a pocket carry gun, about 15 oz. loaded, are any of the S&W
.357s. 150 grains at about 1100-1150 fps. Recoil is BRUTAL and very fast.

With your size, age, a very good gunbelt, and, an inside the waist holster, and a shirt pulled out, loose, you should be able to nearly hide a full sized 1911, or, easily, an Officer's model, Colt Defender, Detonics Combat master, my pick, Colt Commander, etc. All in 45 ACP.

If you want light, and small, the Kahr PM 45 at 18 oz is unrivaled, and recoils.

If you like Glocks, and can get by the trigger, the G39, G36 in 45 ACP, G 27
are all small, kind of blocky guns, that can be concealed easily.

S&W makes the night guard series, and, while I've never held one,
the .41 Mag is CLEARLY IN a different category power wise then any of the guns mentioned, and, at 30 oz, the gun is not that heavy, and, it doesn't really look that big. Likewise the 329 Back packer, and 329 Night Guard, in .44 magnum/44 special, though these are fairly large guns.

rburch

I have been led to believe the .32 and .380 and 9mm cal's do not have enough stopping power, but when you start getting much larger cal's the concealability starts waining.

Looking for sure stopping power with a torso shot at about 25 feet. I can handle the recoil concerns.

No round out of a handgun is going to give sure stopping power with a single torso hit.

If you are forced to use your weapon, every instructor I've heard says you want 2-4 rounds into the center of the attacker's upper chest as fast as you can achieve those shots.

Now in your quest to find a small easy to conceal carry weapon you need to factor your ability to make those shots with the package you're carrying.

Since you do seem to worry about smaller caliber, I'd look for something in 40s&w or 45acp. Find the smallest one that fits comfortably in your hands, and if you possibly can find one you can shoot.

Once you do get one, make sure to practice a lot, and make sure to put several mags worth of the ammo you choose to carry through it to make sure it functions in your gun.

Good luck on your purchase.

Snakum

The hardest hitting really small handgun would likely be the diminutive Kahr .40s. Unfortunately, they have a pretty hit-or-miss quality reputation. The range where I shoot stopped selling their polymer line and won't even take one on trade-in anymore. Just as with the KelTec guns, you may get a good one, or you may not. So if you're thinking of a Kahr just get a KelTec for a lot less money. The chances of it being a good one are about the same. If you can get past the blockiness, the Glock compact .40 is as reliable as any gun ever made. If you must have a pocket rocket, the NAA .22 Mag Pug is a pretty amzing little weapon for close in work. I'd trust one.

Oldjarhead

1911A1 3" or 4.25" pistol

There are a lot of factors you left me wide open too, so I will just speak from my little world. Since I live in central Texas, concealment is a problem with hot weather eight to nine months out of the year. I also will not sacrifice power for a little more concealment. So what is my answer? I go with a three inch or four and a quarter inch 1911 in .45acp. Some say 9mm or .38 special +P. Not bad choices, but not for me when my life or my family's life is on the line. The only other pistol caliber I would carry is the .40 S&W. It is very close to the .45acp in ballistic performance. My two cents.

Robert Johnson

With regards to physical size the smallest pocket gun you can buy is the Seecamp .380. Plastic guns can be lighter but are much more bulky. If .380 wont do it for you try the Rohrbaugh R9 9mm. It's a little larger than the Seecamp but is physically smaller than any other 9mm on the market.

Best thing about these two pistols is they work!!!

Gym

Hand grenades have by far the best punch /size ratio. But in all honestlly, you see what happened asking that question. Go to the range and shoot everything that fits the bill. Then pick the one you feel most comfortable with. To some 30 ozs is small, to others, 10 ozs is small. It's like asking a hooker how what constitutes a good client. The amount in the wallet or in the pants, It's subjective

vsorrentino

I normally carry a S&W 637 2" snubby 38 special. Great carry gun. I just got a Snake Slayer as my BUG. Love this little thing and it packs one big punch with 410 ga self defense shot ammo.
bondarms.jpg

sw637.jpg

vsorrentino

I normally carry a S&W 637 2" snubby 38 special. Great carry gun. I just got a Snake Slayer as my BUG. Love this little thing and it packs one big punch with 410 ga self defense shot ammo.
bondarms.jpg

sw637.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.