Do you use a safety or no safety on your firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pahoo

It's safe !!!

I feel that there might be a little confusion here. If you are referring to a "visible" safety that is clearly identified in the manual, that's one thing. Then there are firearms that have internal safeties that "are" present but can't be seen. I am not aware of any "modern" firearm that does not have it's own unique safety......:confused:

I own one firearm that actually has three external safeties. I only use two; one is on the firearm and the other is in my head. Regardless of how many I have, I always use the one in my head. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

44 AMP

Staff
I do not like the extra and largely superfluous step of a manual safety switch. We can debate how often it causes problems but the fact is that it can and sometimes does cause problems for people in emergency situations.

What you don't like is what you don't like and I'm not going to try and change your mind about that. However I do think discussion about how/when a safety has caused problems should ALSO include the fact that there are documented cases of when a safety saved someone from being shot.

the way I see it, a gun with a safety gives you an option that one without one can't. I like having options, even when I don't choose to use them, I like having the choice in my hands, not made for me by a design engineer who knows what "perfection" is.....:D

TailGator

I personally consider these debates to be tempests in teapots. If have pistols with no thumb safety, with frame-mounted thumb safeties, and with slide-mounted thumb safeties. My most frequent carry is one without a thumb safety, but I have a pocket pistol for occasional use with a frame-mounted thumb safety (Sig P238 to be specific). Practice and familiarity has made them both very comfortable and easy to use. I know some people will say that I shouldn't use pistols with different mechanisms, but I have used both enough that I switch back and forth without thinking, and the feel in the hand tells me what I have. Other pistols that are only for range use have different mechanisms still, and there just isn't a problem. Pick one and practice with it until handling it becomes something automatic and ingrained. They are all legitimate choices for different people, and they all sell because SOMEONE is picking them.

Kevin Rohrer

"To have a weapon w/ a safety and not use it is just plain stupid. To purposely buy a weapon w/o one is just as bad, but I doubt that your choice for pistol has "no safety"."

I EDC carry a Kahr PM9 which HAS NO EXTERNAL SAFETY. Look it up if you need to! I've been shooting for more than 45 years both in the military and and as a civilian. I'm also an NRA Certified Instructor and I teach firearm safety classes and I teach people to shoot handguns. I've been doing so for a long time. Are you trying to tell me and others that our firearm choice is "just plain stupid" because our handgun choice lacks an external safety? There is something called training and personal responsibility. Look them up if you need to. Wow......terrible advice.

There would be less arguments and understanding if everyone read for understanding.

BigMikey76

My EDC is a revolver - no safety.

I have a a few semis that fill other roles, but they all have fairly long triggers to match what I have gotten used to in my revolver:

My night stand gun is a Smith SD9 - long trigger, no safety.
My car gun is a Bersa Thunder CC - has a safety, but I don't use it - long pull on the first shot.
My pocket gun for dress up occasions is a Kahr CT 380 - long pull, no safety

Whatever your preference, pick one standard and stick to it. That way it's always the same procedure no matter what is in your hands. In my case, that procedure is point and shoot. No fuss, no muss.

corneileous

I ask because my S&W m&p 2.0 is the no safety variant, but as it applies to self defense, I wouldn't want to forget to disengage the safety when fear and adrenaline are pumping and seconds count. I think this boils down to proper training and muscle memory if i'm not mistaken.

My biggest concern though is the firearm discharging when conceal carrying. I'm not sure how often this happens but the last thing i'd want is the gun going off by accident.

So how many of you prefer a safety over no safety on your pistol?

Here’s the deal; accidents are going to happen. Doesn’t matter how good that safety is between your ears, we all as humans are infallible. And yes, you’re right, training does help a lot but if you’re ever thrown into that self defense situation at lightning speed, your training might or might not let you forget to turn that safety off if that day ever comes. You just have to do what is comfortable for you. That’s what it all boils down to. Although in my humble little opinion, I think it’s a lot easier to have a negligent discharge in your typical striker fired semi automatic pistol that has no manual safety than it is with an old-school double action single action hammer fired pistol without a safety because you normally have a lot longer and a lot heavier trigger pull on a hammer fired pistol then you do on your typical striker fired one and plus, there’s a hammer on the backside of the slide that I can press on when I go to holster the pistol to where even if the trigger did get snagged on anything, there’s no way for the trigger to go back because you’re pressing on the hammer. And here’s something else to think about; there’s a company out there that makes a device that goes in place of the backplate of Glock that allows the user to do the same thing as pressing on the hammer of a hammer fired pistol so that at least you can say for holstering a pistol with one of those and while you’re pressing in on that switch, you’re preventing the gun from firing even if the trigger were to ever get snagged on anything so that’s why I say, even though I’m not trying to start any arguments here but that’s at least why I feel pulled more towards hammer guns. What you do or what anybody else does is on you/them.

All of my carry guns have hammers. My primary every day carry pistol has a safety but because it’s hammer fired, the safety doesn’t get used. My other guns are various PX4 storm Berettas but they’re pretty much the same way except for the fact that they don’t even have a safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flight567

My pistols don't have safeties. Its pretty hard to get a glock with a mechanical safety in my parts.

I don't particularly care for, Or about safeties. Its pretty much the same thing as a safety on a rifle; all about consistent training. When you present an AR from a ready position, the rifle starts on safe, and slips onto fire. Same thing can happen with a pistol.

Personal preference and all.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Nanuk

All of my carry guns have safeties, whether passive like the transfer bar on a S&W revolver or active like a thumb safety on a 1911.

Kevin Rohrer

All of my carry guns have safeties, whether passive like the transfer bar on a S&W revolver or active like a thumb safety on a 1911.

Correct. Which is something very few people here understand.

TunnelRat

I’m going to go out on a limb and say they do understand that. What they’re doing is responding in context of the OP’s question, which is about the use of a manual safety, not a passive safety.

44caliberkid

For uniformed officer duty I definitely want a thumb safety. I've had subjects try to grab my duty weapon during a struggle. I know two officers, personally, who had their weapon taken, the subject pointed it at the officer, pulling the trigger, trying to shoot, but the thumb safety stopped them till they were subdued. This was before Glock, when most departments had Beretta 92's or S&W 59's, or some other early wonder nine, but they all had thumb safeties.
For concealed carry it wouldn't be so much of an issue, since I don't have a gun hanging on my belt in plain sight, waiting to be grabbed. My CCW's are revolvers, a S&W Shield, or short 1911.

corneileous

If I urban carried my Sig P220 SAO 10mm, I’d be using the safety on that just because it shares a lot of characteristics of a 1911 meaning that it was designed to be carried cocked and locked.

jr24

If the gun has one, I use it. If it doesn't I don't.

I don't rotate carry guns often but have switched a time or two between Glocks and 1911s. I've spent enough years with the 1911 (or anything that has a safety in that location) to have solid muscle memory for the use of the safety when needed. Something that's in a different place (like some of the optional polymer guns safeties, CZ, slide mounted safeties) I wouldn't be as confident with, without a heck of a lot more practice.

If you have concerns with holstering, sans safety, consider a single clip holster (plenty out there, I like Vedder) and holster off the body, then clip on your belt. Don't drive the gun or play with it during the day and it's perfectly safe. Even can just put the whole holster on the table or safe at night and never need to administratively handle a "hot" gun apart from the range or cleaning.

RetiredMajor

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post

TunnelRat replied: I’m going to go out on a limb and say they do understand that. What they’re doing is responding in context of the OP’s question, which is about the use of a manual safety, not a passive safety.

Bingo!

Nathan

I think people understand that point. I still think not blocking trigger pull or worse releasing safeties by pulling the trigger still makes a gun safetyless!

Status
Not open for further replies.