Do you use a safety or no safety on your firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebikerider

For EDC carry I use a 9mm S&W shield with no safety, or an SP-101 revolver - obviously, no safety. I only use holsters that cover the trigger, FWIW.

TunnelRat

If a firing pin safety suffices on some pistols, why wouldn't it have sufficed on a Glock?

That leaves unanswered what works best for you.

I've read that german hostage rescue guys at some point in the last several decades carried BHP's cocked with the safety off. Sounds nuts to me, but I don't number hostage rescue amongst my amazing talents.

Because on a Glock (or really any pistol with a light enough trigger, keeping in mind a stock Glock has typically a 5.5 lb. trigger) when the firearm is dropped with the muzzle straight up it is potentially possible for inertia to drive the trigger downward. In that event the trigger has essentially been “pulled” and the firearm will discharge as it should when a trigger is pressed all the way to the rear. The trigger safety prevents this from happening as the mass of that little trigger safety tab is so small that the inertia of just that safety tab isn’t enough to overcome the pressure provided by the spring that is also part of that system. Unless that safety tab is depressed the trigger cannot move to the rear. On a pistol with a heavy DA or a manual safety you don’t have that issue as long as the pistol is in DA or the manual safety is engaged (or course a 1911 also has a grip safety).

It’s a system that has worked for Glock for decades. Other manufacturers use different versions of this idea, such as S&W using a hinged trigger with the SD9 and M&P or Walther using the entire face of the trigger with the P99. Even Savage uses this idea with their AccuTrigger rifles. On the SIG P320 the fact that the trigger bar moves forward when the trigger is pressed combined with the light mass of the trigger was supposed to also prevent this from happening. It didn’t go quite as well and we had the “Voluntary Upgrade” as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pete2

I'll add one more thing here. I do have a G19. The very first time I tried it in my new holster the drawstring on my jacket went into the holster with the gun. No ammo in the gun, it didn't pull the trigger but it could have. If I ever carry it it'll be in my hand or without a round in the chamber. Prolly gonna get an M&P with a safety to replace the G19.
Removed the drawstring........

AirForceShooter

Long ago in a land far far away I had a firearms instructor they taught me,
"safety's aren't"
NEVER trust one.
He proceed to show all of us idiot trainees how a safety could get you killed.

The safety is between your ears and in your fingers.

That is all.

AFS

BWM

I love a gun with a hammer and a safety I have one striker fired gun and do NOT like it so I keep it in the truck where when I am out in the country by my self that when I will shoot it I feel unsafe with it !!!!

Willie Lowman

The safety in my Glock is built into the trigger. So the safety is between my ears or as I like to say, between my thumb and middle finger.

I have shot Glocks for years. Trained with them quite a bit. I don't carry anything but because I don't want to confuse myself when I need it.

FoghornLeghorn

I carry one of three sidearms: Sig P239 SAS DAK; Sig P226; Ruger SP 101 DAK. None have a safety and I always carry them in the same location: strong side OWB, no strap or retention device.

As the OP references, I don't want to get tripped up in the event I have to defend myself.

My bedside gun is a Sig P220 SAE 45. Again, no safety. Ditto the above.

RETG

My PX4s have NO safeties, H&K safety is never used. As likely to use a safety as I am to carry without a round in the chamber. Never!

Kevin Rohrer

What’s wrong with the topic? I think choosing between a safety vs no safety is a personal choice depending on use. I don’t conceal carry so it’s not an issue, but someone looking to purchase their first firearm would have to take this into consideration. In MN gun owners are required to take a CCW safety course to obtain a permit.

To have a weapon w/ a safety and not use it is just plain stupid. To purposely buy a weapon w/o one is just as bad, but I doubt that your choice for pistol has "no safety".

As for Training, a CCW course is very little if any training (the quality of which depends on the instructor) and certainly not enough to safely carry and use a weapon if the requirement to do so occurs.

Last edited:

RetiredMajor

"To have a weapon w/ a safety and not use it is just plain stupid. To purposely buy a weapon w/o one is just as bad, but I doubt that your choice for pistol has "no safety"."

I EDC carry a Kahr PM9 which HAS NO EXTERNAL SAFETY. Look it up if you need to! I've been shooting for more than 45 years both in the military and and as a civilian. I'm also an NRA Certified Instructor and I teach firearm safety classes and I teach people to shoot handguns. I've been doing so for a long time. Are you trying to tell me and others that our firearm choice is "just plain stupid" because our handgun choice lacks an external safety? There is something called training and personal responsibility. Look them up if you need to. Wow......terrible advice.

Last edited:

Aqualife

I don’t own guns with out a safety.

If I can draw my shotgun disengage the safety, aim and shot a grouse in 2-3 seconds with out thinking. Then I won’t have a problem with the EDC.

They have the term glock leg for a reason....

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I don’t own guns with out a safety.

If I can draw my shotgun disengage the safety, aim and shot a grouse in 2-3 seconds with out thinking. Then I won’t have a problem with the EDC.

They have the term glock leg for a reason....

They have the term Glock leg because it’s one of the most popular pistols out there and with that big of a user base you’ll have people being negligent. Heck, I imagine some people have even shot themselves with pistols that have a safety and even with a safety it’s generally a good idea to not sweep your own leg with your muzzle. The safety rules of firearms exist for a reason.

This is why I generally avoid these threads when they come up every so often. You have one side that says carrying a pistol with a safety will inevitably result in you forgetting how to use a safety and you’ll get killed. You have another side that says carrying a pistol without a safety will inevitably result in you shooting yourself. Then we usually have the people that are so emotionally invested in the choice they’ve made that they take it as a person insult if someone chooses differently.

From my experience the reality is people are and will continue to be negligent with firearms and training with a firearm is more important than the manual of arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

I do not like the extra and largely superfluous step of a manual safety switch. We can debate how often it causes problems but the fact is that it can and sometimes does cause problems for people in emergency situations.

I prefer the safety of a double action trigger up front. Much like a trigger dingus, this safety mechanism is in line with the normal operation of a single control. I also like the feedback of my thumb on the hammer when reholstering.

zukiphile

TunnelRat said:
Then we usually have the people that are so emotionally invested in the choice they’ve made that they take it as a person insult if someone chooses differently.

Indeed. It bears repeating that Gaseousclay asks what people use rather than what's best.

gaseousclay

It bears repeating that Gaseousclay asks what people use rather than what's best.

Exactly. I asked because I was curious but also because I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. It’s more about how a safety/no safety works for you. My gun is for home defense, so in that context, no safety works for me. I could use the same firearm for conceal carry without having a round chambered and that would alleviate my fear of accidental discharge. I fully understand that more training is required on my part.

zukiphile

gaseousclay said:
My gun is for home defense, so in that context, no safety works for me.

In this context, there's an additional variable: what is a person's home?

A retiree living by himself could have a reasonable set up, but that same set up could be madness for someone in a home with five kids between the ages of four and 12. Readiness and prudence are guiding values that can get people to different specific solutions.

gc70

Instead of choosing between A or B, I will take C ... I use a manual safety part of the time.

I bought a Shield before S&W came out with a no-thumb-safety model. The thumb safety was so small and positive that I had no concern it would be inadvertently engaged. And then I realized that the slide could be operated with the safety engaged.

The process I developed was to have the safety disengaged when the gun was holstered and when I drew the gun to fire. I engaged the safety before holstering the gun and disengaged it after the gun was holstered. I would also engage the safety before removing the gun from the holster for routine handling since any administrative handling of the gun could be done with the safety engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.