Do you conceal carry an Expensive Handgun.?

There's a saying about this topic: "Your custom Kimber is what you show your friends. Your Glock is what you show your enemies." ;)

If I'm buying an expensive target gun, or rare collectible, I won't be carrying it for self-defense. If I'm buying a carry gun, I'm not concerned about cost -- reliability and concealability is all that matters to me. :cool:

wayneinFL

When I'm home I usually carry a S&W 340 PD and/or a S&W 1911Sc, a couple of the most expensive guns I own.

I used to worry about holster wear. I don't care anymore. As far as police confiscating it for evidence- as long as I'm alive to worry about it, I don't care.

I've been traveling a lot and lost a $600 gun to theft. I do regret that. I'm carrying a couple of relatively inexpensive guns right now. I alternate between guns depending on what I'm wearing, and sometimes I have to leave something at the hotel. Right now I'm traveling with a keltec 3AT I jog with, an AMT backup 45 for pocket carry, and a Beretta 92 for when I get by with full size. I don't have more than $250 in any of these guns. I trust the Beretta, the others not as much.

I may start pocket carrying and jogging with a Glock 26 or 27, and still bring the Beretta along. I trust them a little better and I can definitely hit targets better. Just a little blocky to draw from a pocket.

armoredman

Hmm, is this expensive to you?

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01-phantom/

Phantomdarkelegance.jpg

Add in the $69 night sights, I guess that's expensive. I put a lot of rounds downrange since I got it, practicing, that's expensive, even with my reloading. If the pistol performs up to par and I use it to save my life/another's life, than all of that expense was worth what it cost.

GeauxTide

I carry a Taurus PT-145 because it's an 11 shot, 21 ounce 45 that fits in my pocket. I don't want be without my custom Springfield, either.

PT-92

Sharpsdressed Man

My phone gives me the time, so I don't own or carry a Rolex. So, I put the money into the guns. And yes, it gets carried.

But I bet you spend a 'fortune' on your wardrobe (gotta play me some ZZ now--besides it's TGIF!) ;).

KyJim

I carry pistols that I feel confident in and can shoot well (okay, excluding that LCP). I pay little attention to price and will carry a Bersa .380 and high end 1911s. In cool weather, I am usually rotating the following pistols (MSRPs are today's prices):

1. Dan Wesson CCO - MSRP $1,558
DW_CCO_5.jpg

2. Baer Stinger, Teflon based finished -- MSRP $2,240
Baer_Stinger_DSCN9539.jpg

3. Ed Brown Special Forces Carry -- MSRP $2,495
Ed_Brown_SF_Carry_DSCN9656.jpg

Notwithstanding your second hand anecdotes, it is standard procedure in any shooting investigation to take the gun used as evidence.
Actually, it depends on locality and circumstances. I have two friends who have been involved in defensive shootings in the last two years, and neither had his gun taken.

I imagine that would change if there was some suspicion.

I'll agree many others here who claim that a gun is worth whatever I paid for it if it saves my life. Property can be replaced.

RsqVet

A few things, one I carry what is reliable, expense is a secondary concern.

2 I think it's an overstated fear that any gun well maintained will be a hunk of junk when you get it out of property should you have to use it. I have been in property rooms, no one is dunking the guns in salt
Water to see what happens. Are they well cared for? Perhaps not but
How many guns have we all seen come out of a 30 year stint on the bedside drawr not too worse for wear. Often crammed in a holster. So a 2 year stay in a property room really does not worry me.

3. Guns are tools, I would not carry a Gun so fragile I need to worry about it, I see more and more people who have perverse expectations of maintaining things like guns in mint condition. Seems to me you either use
Them or look at them. If you use them they show use/wear.

4. Be glad you are alive, hopefully not bankrupt and if the worst happened to your gun, have it refinished as a celebration of surviving

johnbt

I've carried a Rohrbaugh R9 for over 5 years. I bought it used and it cost me almost $900 and would cost $1000 to $1100 to replace with a new one I suppose. Is that expensive? I carry insurance deductibles at least that large on car, house, etc.

It's the cost of doing business. Plan ahead. Be prepared.

MagnumWill

Yes. My $1,000 Colt or my wife's $750 Sig is a very small price to pay when you needed them the most and your lives are still (relatively) intact. I'm sure a $300 gun will do the trick, it's just not a chance I'm willing to take.

HenryTheNoodle

I carry the Rohrbaugh 9mm, I'd consider that expensive. Great little pocket gun though I shot it yesterday for the first time in a little while and hate to put any more than about 18 rounds down the line with it.

TimT55

Nope, no expensive CCW carry guns here. I carry either a S&W Shield 9mm or a Glock daily. I have higher end handguns but I just see no reason to beat them up with seat belts and pocket wear that isn't necessary. These work just fine for me.

BlueTrain

For the record, I think someone established in another thread that "expensive" is something over $500. Currently my threshhold for expensive is somewhat lower.

johnbt

I remember the years when all but 75 cents of one of my two monthly paychecks went to the mortgage. And that didn't cover the homeowner's insurance.

I don't even know what expensive is anymore since I paid off my house in 1997. I'll be 62 next month and I'm filling out the paperwork right now to retire after 37+ years on the job. If I file for early Social Security I'll net more each month than I've been making.

BlueTrain

I am 66 today. My boss turned 66 earlier this month. Neither of us has plans for retirement, or so my boss says. We just married off our daughter last Friday. We have no debt. Why am I not happy.

But, I do own expensive guns by the current definition around here but only two.