Component Sightings

ligonierbill

CCI 300 coming today from Midway. Price ain't coming down I'm afraid. And just got email notices from Midway and Powder Valley (within about 2 min) that Vihtavouri N560 is back in stock. My go to for 7mm Rem Mag and 338 Win Mag heavy bullets.

Marco Califo

New Powder StaBALL Match

In stock at www.Midsouthshooterssupply.com @ $43: Winchester StaBALL Match Smokeless Powder 1 Lb
I looked at Hodgdon's Burn Rate chart and it is #112 different and faster than StaBAll 6.5 #135 and StaBALL HD #162 (I had not noticed that one before either).

ocharry

natchez has free hazz matt again for a couple days if any of you are interested...and some primers and powder

nothing i need but i thought i would pass it along

ocharry

BillyBoy 57

Thank you ocharry , I was able to buy some small pistol primers ! I have been looking for at least a year or more . And the free hazmat was really a deal

zeke

Precision Reloading is showing Hdy 30 cal 190 gn sub-x bullets in stock

edited to show out of stock 2/24/2023

Last edited:

stagpanther

I think in this day and age of spoofing, scamming and hacking there should be some consideration of how valid "component sightings" are--there are just too many fake firearms sites out there. Without some kind of vetting or confirmation this can be exploited on threads like this to lure unsuspecting victims in.

Marco Califo

Without some kind of vetting or confirmation this can be exploited on threads like this to lure unsuspecting victims in.
We were talking about MidwayUSA and Powder Valley. Which was exploitive? :eek: Anyway, click at your own risk is normal, and with the informed readers here . . whatever you are suggesting? Bad links get called out or removed, thus, I do not recall any recently.
Midway no longer has those CCI LPP available. "Time is of the essence".

Last edited:

Metal god

Yeah I had to put some thought to stags point . I can see a fraudster come to sights like this and post links to there own scam pages . I agree Midway and Powder Valley are not sights we need to worry about . However I have seen on other gun forums member’s warning of fraudulent sights they were burned at .

I wouldn’t know how you could police such a thing other then maybe a minimum membership time line or minimum amount of post

markr6754

I added 2 bricks to the shopping cart, but a shipping cost was added to the total.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Just tried a new order. 2 bricks at $67.15/ea added $19.95 shipping. 3 bricks went to Free Shipping. In both cases, OH sales tax is added.

My original order must've grabbed a $99 shipping special.

In any case...orders fill and ship quickly.

There are some common signs of fraud. Refusal to accept credit cards is one of them. If the payments are all by Zell or other intermediate payment services, it almost always turns out to be a fraudulent site. I've looked at the site information on Whois and ICANN (which use different methods). If you find the owner or contact phone number is in Cameroon or some other country, that's a sure sign of fraud for munitions-related items. Some, however, hide that information by going through an anonymizing service like anonymizer.com or 2ip.io or DreamHost.com or others. If you see a registration come through one of those, you almost certainly are looking at a site from another country that has been made to look like it is inside the USA. If the site gives an address, use Maps.Google.com to get a street view of the place. If it turns out nothing is there or it is a residence or other business or other suspicious looking place, stand clear. The Kaspersky site has a primer on identifying scam sites.

Some of these sites have been reported to authorities repeatedly, but remain up. I don't know what it takes to bring a fraud site down, but it must be like moving a mountain. Even ones with U.S. addresses that have been reported to the FBI and police nonetheless remain up. Chances are the actual site owner is anonymizing and just picked the address out a phonebook or from Google maps and the poor owner is having his property title searched and his name reported to authorities when he has nothing to do with it. Forged address just like forged phone numbers. The scammers are sociopaths in that they care only about their own wants and have no compunctions about sacrificing anyone else's needs to fullfill their own.

stagpanther

It doesn't take a bad guy to log on here and post a fraudulent link (though that is theoretically possible)--it could simply be a well-meaning post by someone who did a search with the intent of "hey guys, look what I found". That could then suck some people into buying. I think what Uncklenick post is a good primer (obviously everyone knows the usual suspects like Midway, Midsouth, P Valley etc don't need that) though I personally look for "too good to be true" signs, repetitious bad grammar etc. Then I'll google "is XXX legit" and see what comes up; as well as BBB complaints and other rating services. I've only been totally had once by a firearms business--blackjack bullets--and that was only because they were legitimate before they decided to stiff people with outstanding orders.

Last edited: