Best gun Scene in a movie, And the winner is.....

DieHard06

"sorry, i ain't buying it. after the scenes have been filmed, everything goes to an audio engineer who mixes in the music and all the foley effects that didn't get picked up by the mics, as well as overdubbing whatever spoken parts got obscured by background noise, etc. now, i'd be willing to bet the guy who engineered the sound on this knew what "real" sounds like, but either he, or more likely someone higher up the chain, wanted to make stuff louder, or compensate for the compression necessary to record something that loud. as a result they probably drenched it with tons of digital reverb. if they were micing remote enough (like down the street) and getting that much bounce off of the buildings, then that's not real either. because our ears aren't usually in more than one place at the same time.

the logistics of recording a scene like that, with many different noises at all different locations, volumes and distances from what the viewer sees would really be a nightmare. but the amount of echo, reverb, or "bounce" would vary depending on those variables.

so that's what i'm talking about. sorry."

Alright, that's fine. It is your opinion, but I would very much disagree. Before I let this go I would suggest that you watch the whole movie and if you can, rent the two disc version as they interview the sound mixer and director on that scene as to why they had the sound that way.

webbee

Another vote for Open Range.

Lee Marvin should know how to handle a shotgun. He was a Marine combat vet of WW2. He was shot in the butt on Saipan June 1944, which severed his sciatic nerve, resulting in a medical discharge. He was another actor who was the real deal.

Slopemeno

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Thief"

"Why don't you join a union?"

"Im wearing it"

Solid performances by James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Jim Belushi, Dennis Farina, and an outstanding performance by Robert Prosky as "Leo". The 1911's were done by Jim Hoag.

And for what it's worth, if you like Tangerine Dream, they did the soundtrack. If possible, find it on the LP, as it has a few extra tracks the CD doesnt include.

Attachments

• NotFlattened11977.jpg
    NotFlattened11977.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 55

Doyle

It's tough to beat the scene in the first Indiana Jones movie ... in the market, where Indy is looking for Marion (stuffed in a basket) and the turbaned dude with the big curved sword comes out of nowhere. Just remember: Never bring a sword to a gunfight.
Searcher, do you know that this scene was an accident? Harrison Ford said that they had done a lot of retakes on this scene where he was supposed to actually fight the guy. After growing tired of the retakes, he jokingly pulls out the gun and shoots the guy and the bad guy takes the hint and falls down. The cameras were rolling and it looked so good that they decided to keep it in the movie.

vanguard_anon

My favorite scenes are the ones that are almost realistic. I don't mind the main character being just about too talented to believe but when they stand 15 feet from 10 bad guys and pick them off one by one while all 10 bad guys miss it ruins the movie for me.

I searched youtube but couldn't find it. The best scene that came to mind for me was the rescue scene in "Shooter" (good movie btw) where he quickly sniped a couple of bad guys with a deer hunting rifle from about 300 yards. It was awesome and I'm sure there are some people that could actually pull off that kind of shooting.

Magyar

Thanks Mag.Wheel Man, I love Westerns...Your trailer on "I hate Posses", I'm heading to my Video Rental store...
As far as 3:10 to Yuma, , Russell Crowe couldn't make a "pimple on Glen Ford's butt"....:)

Chindo18Z

Mickey Rooney and Glenn Ford in the final downed pilot scene (surrounded in a muddy ditch)...Bridges at Toko-Ri.

Paul Newman (and Richard Boone)...last scene...Hombre.

Last scene...Bridge on the River Kwai.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Jimmy Stewart vs. Lee Marvin shootout).

Sand Pebbles...Steve McQueen...BAR fight at the Chinese mission/temple.

Way of the Gun...shoot out at the Mexican Bordello

Robert DeNiro...Taxi Driver...climactic shootout at end.

Honorable Mention: the entire end-of-movie gunfight in Grosse Point Blank (John Cusak & Dan Aykroyd).

Last edited:

BillCA

Everyone has their favorites, so Hollywood is doing something good, eh?

Go rent the John Wayne movie The Fighting Sea Bees with Susan Hayward (yum!). There's a scene towards the tail of the movie where the construction guys are fighting the Japanese. The steam-shovel/scoop operator snags two Japanese soldiers and lifts them high. One is dead so he lifts his 1903 Springfield and dispatches the other. Then he turns the machine and drops 'em off a cliff. Another Sea Bee yells "What'd ya shoot 'em for?" And the operator yells back "I was afraid the fall would kill 'im!" :D

I rather liked the shootout on the paddlewheel boat in the remake of The Mummy with Brendan Fraiser and Rachel Wiese.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Sean Connery's scene in The Untouchables where the Mafioso stalks into his house armed with a knife and Connery appears with the sawed-off double barrel with the quip "Just like a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight."

In the cheesy "Navy Seals" with Charlie Sheen, they called their .50 BMG Sniper "God" on their radios. In one scene, a seal is down, stuck in some debris. When an Arab with an AK runs up, the Seal yells into his headset mic "Oh God! Oh GOD!" The Arab cocks his weapon and gleefully shouts "Your God cannot save you now!" Just before "god" puts a .50 BMG thru the guy's skull from a rooftop 500m away.

fitfighter81

whithout a doubt in my top 5, is the end fight in "Tears of the Sun" as they make their final push for the border. And the end shootout in "The Kingdom" very well done.

DMZX

Paul Newman (and Richard Boone)...last scene...Hombre.

I think Paul Newman used an 1886 Winchester in 45-70 in the movie.

His conversations with the Mexican Bandit were precious:

Mexican Bandit: Hey, hombre! A compliment on your shooting! You put a hole in me! Whew. I never had a bellyache like this since I'm a little boy. Hey amigo! Friend! I am going to give you back this bullet.

Mexican Bandit: [coming up the hill, waving a red handkerchief tied to a stick] Hey, hombre!

John Russell: [Russell finishes loading his rifle and goes to see what the Mexican Bandit wants]

Mexican Bandit: Look amigo, how close you come!
[indicating the wound on his stomach]

John Russell: I tried to do better; I think you moved.

Mexican Bandit: You can be sure I move! How do you prefer them, eh, tied to a tree?

John Russell: That'd be nice.

Mexican Bandit: You like to pull the trigger, eh?

John Russell: I can do it again for you.

LanceOregon

Russell Crowe couldn't make a "pimple on Glen Ford's butt"..

OMG, how could I forget Glen Ford?

How many of you have even seen "The Fastest Gun Alive", staring Glen Ford? Anyone?

Now that was a classy western, and had great Colt Peacemaker shooting by Glen Ford ( or his stunt double ).

Here is a scene from the movie where Glen Ford is about to toss two silver dollars into the air. As targets!!

fasttu8.jpg

The movie was made in 1956, and was filmed in Black and White.

Here is the movie's poster:

fastestGunAlive-tC699x.gif

P.S. - Glen Ford was not in "The Bridges of Toko-Ri"

cyprian

Miller's Crossing

Chopz, you should check the boards over at IMDB. Apparently the Heat shootout did go to postproduction for sound, but once Mann heard the "professional" sound FX, he rejected it in favor of the sound as recorded. I don't get how you could hold on to this objection, when the pre-production is a recording of the actual sounds of the gunfight. Come on, they were shooting on location with real guns shooting blanks. You're the only one I've ever seen who prefers fake post-production sound to the gritty real-world sound. For many people, that makes the scene, and I have to agree. But you know, whatever floats your boat! If that makes me a freak, Oh Well.

My vote goes to Miller's Crossing, when Albert Finney defends his house and gives some back.

AFshooter

I like the ending of Saving Private Ryan when the all but dead Captain Miller is shooting at the approaching German Tiger tank with his 1911.
Some of the clips appear to be live fire, while others are obviously not.

Chindo18Z

P.S. - Glen Ford was not in "The Bridges of Toko-Ri"

Correctomundo. My Bad. It must be old age...

My apologies to classic movie fans and most especially to William Holden (who superbly played downed pilot Brubaker in The Bridges at Toko-Ri).