Any pros and cons on lasers on a handgun ?

temmi

Let me start off with; I am paranoid of anything that will fail on a handgun…

So, that said, I have recently changed my opinion on Lasers on handguns and here is why.

We as a species have been programmed to focus on the threat…

It takes years of training and discipline to learn to focus on the sight (with the sight on the threat).

Most of us will not be able to get that training and that level of practice.

The Laser will allow you to focus on the threat and still aim.

Now you just have to worry about trigger control

EastKY_DO

Hey, if you wiggle the laser dot across the perps eyes the intensely bright beam may get his attention. A shot in the eye socket will turn the lights off faster than one to the pump room.

Just ramblin' out loud.

Doc

jaydubya

Hey, if you wiggle the laser dot across the perps eyes the intensely bright beam may get his attention. A shot in the eye socket will turn the lights off faster than one to the pump room.

Lasers have an intimidation factor. Bad guys may think "hey that laser dot over my heart is where a bullet will go lets think this through." So, if a laser makes a bad guy back down, I wouldnt need to shoot, which is a win for lasers.

Sigh . . . I've addressed these fallacies previously.

Jack

HKGuns

Novelty item only, one will never adorn one of my pistols. Others probably like them and that is the beauty of a free Country and good economy.

.357SIG

Guns don't scare all bad guys, because many of them don't think you have the guts to use it. BTDT. Same for LASERS. Sure, many will turn and run, but come on...a red dot is not going to make the difference...the gun will.

Other issue: do you want to chase a red dot around like a cat does, or do you want to focus on your target and surroundings? The latter can mean the difference between living and dying. The former might get you killed.

bayhawk2

I have a LaserLyte sight on my revolver.Like has been said it
really is not good in the daylight.Who needs one in the daylight though?
I got mine for in house use.It is great in the house.Shows up very
nicely.When factory iron sights are virtually of no use?The laser
sight comes on and that is why I like my laser sight.I will not ever
part with it.

Wishoot

Just put a laser on my G22. I can see the value as a training aid, but I haven't figured out if it will be a permanent part of my HD/SD arrangement just yet.

cougar gt-e

As opined in previous posts in this thread, the so-called "intimidation" factor supposedly offered by lasers is largely a myth. Bad guys (nor good guys) will not be scrutinizing their (our) chest areas for a dancing red dot when engaged in a gun fight. They (we) will be focused on the other guy's gun and his behavior and actions. Nobody is going to "think through" a dot superimposed on their left tit when real bullets are coming from the opposite direction.

That's 100% true for the old school red lasers. Buy a modern green laser and you will have a solid green string from the gun to the dot. At night, it's impossible to mistake it for anything but a harbinger of doom. There is no need to look down, you will see that green beam.

Still, A bright flashlight is needed for target ID in the home. Especially if you have kids, spouse or roommate.

hondauto

All of you>> I mean ALL of you are forgetting one simple concept..
If you train yourself with the IRON or NIGHT sights at the range,you will develop a single skill that will always work right...Muscle memory.
Even with poor sighting in the dark,you will be able to level the sights on a target with your eyes/ears/knowlege of terrain..
Lasers are an awesome concept,but never replace technology with instinct.
This is my .02 worth
By the way, I love lasers as a training product.They help keep your instinct in place.But never would I rely on this to make my shot count.

k6saunde

IMHO

I have been shooting handguns, rifles and shotguns since I was 8 years old, I'm now 45. I have carried a handgun for self defense most of my adult life. Until recently I have never had a laser sight on any of my weapons and would consider myself very proficient with all my weapons.

For those who call a laser sight a gimmick or toy I must disagree with your opinion. Yes, in perfect conditions you can use the iron sites to address your target and fire with precision. But what if you are not able to use your iron sights? What if the person you need to fire on is too close for you to pull out your weapon and sight the weapon with your iron sights? They charge you, or you are attacked by a dog or other animal by surprise? What if your pushed to the ground, shooting from your back or your side? If you wear glasses, what happens if your glasses are knocked off? or any of a thousand situations that will not allow you to gain a proper site picture using your iron sights? I doudt very highly you will have the presence of mind to hold your weapon like you do at the range and attain a perfect sight picture then fire.

In these and other instances the laser sight is a valuable tool in allowing you to hit your target. To aim quickly and presicely so you can end the threat as quickly as possible. And isn't that what you carry a weapon for?

Anyone that has seen "Cops" the tv program. When they have the "armed and dangerous" episodes on. Has seen seasoned officers empty an entire clip at a criminal that was only a few feet away and missed him with every bullet fired.

These are seasoned professionals that are required to train constantly with their weapons. And they miss when put in a life and death situation. So even if this laser sight gives me a one in a hundred better chance of terminating a threat to me or my family I'm going to take it.

A laser sight is a tool, just like the iron sights or the glow in the dark sights. Each one is designed to function best in certain situations. But to dismiss it as a gimmick or a toy is unfair and a bit childish.

Just as juvenile is thinking your going to scare someone with your laser sight. I was taught from day one, never point a gun at something you werent going to kill. So if your pointing your gun at someone to scare them with your laser sight, in my opinion you should not be allowed to carry a weapon.

From my training and many years of shooting, hunting, and competition shooting. I can tell you this. If my laser sight is on your chest or your head there is a bullet on its way long before you notice the red dot.

One more reason a laser sight is a good addition to a weapon is if the iron sights are all but useless even on the brightest of summer days in the best of conditions. A good example of this is my Ruger LCP .380 pistol. The Iron sights suck, period even during the day. Forget about using them even in a dimmly lit bar much less a dark alley or house.

One word of caution, if you do buy a laser sight for your weapon. Make sure it is an instant on laser that is activated when you hold the weapon normally. If you have to turn it on manually by pushing a button or sliding a slide switch your defeating the purpose. Crimson trace makes the best sights IMO. Instant on just by gripping the weapon as it should be.

With the S&W bodyguard with the built-in laser. You need to push a button on the side of the gun in front of the trigger guard to turn it on. Even under the best conditions (In the store with the sales person right there) it was not the easiest thing to turn on or off.

vito

I'm with you K6saunde. My vision is certainly not what it once was, but even when it was good it was not good enough to use iron sights in a dark room while adrenalin is pumping as I go to retrieve my handgun. The Crimson Trace laser may not be perfect but I think it could give me an edge that I otherwise would not have. Like most of us who read this forum I have enough guns to meet my needs, if not my wants. I was thinking of getting yet another gun despite the reality that I have no "need" for it, and instead bought the laser sights for two of my most go-to firearms. I'm glad I did.

Deja vu

I like my crimson trace for my J-Frame.

I was able to see how much I was shaking and how much I moved when I pulled the trigger. I have gotten much better about keeping it more still with lots of dry fire practice.

I think in a self defense situation not only can the laser be intimidating it can also allow you to aim with out needing to pull the gun up to your eye level.

The primary flaw is that I cant see it in full sunlight.

Doc Maker

attachment.php

I love mine:)

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 13,818

jaydubya

Cole said: I'm old and set in my ways. There will be no laser sights on my pistols.

I'll bet I'm older than you are (I'll be eighty this April), and I have three handguns with CT grips. I can't see the sights on any of them without my glasses on, but I can see that red dot on the target, and I can put a black hole in its place. Sometimes.

Jack

NikonDutch

Just a short weigh in

I've read all the posts and agree that iron sights are the best and most practical means of acquiring your target. Up to a point, someone here states that “you have to grow old but you don't have to grow up” ~ absolutely correct. I purchased a Springfield XDm 45 acp with a 4½" barrel a few weeks ago and find the fit and function totally respectable however the sight radius is too close for my arms. I'm 60 years old, had Lasik and test at 20/15 in both eyes. It works great for golf but not in a shooting situation. Way back in the day we were taught all of the techniques and issues necessary when carrying a pistol into combat, nothing has changed except I cannot acquire the sights. Viridian makes a green laser that slides onto the rail of my Springer and makes for a very fast and very accurate sighting picture; it also works extremely well in the daylight. In my case it's not about cool or putting a spot on the BG it's about the limitations of physiology and using technology to compensate for what we have grown out of. Just for the record at 15 yards when I wore reading glasses I could stay in the 5 ring, with the Viridian my MOA is less than 1½".

HoraceHogsnort

"As opined in previous posts in this thread, the so-called "intimidation" factor supposedly offered by lasers is largely a myth. Bad guys (nor good guys) will not be scrutinizing their (our) chest areas for a dancing red dot when engaged in a gun fight. They (we) will be focused on the other guy's gun and his behavior and actions. Nobody is going to "think through" a dot superimposed on their left tit when real bullets are coming from the opposite direction. "

However, when that laser beam hits them in the eye you can bet yer bippy that'll get their attention in a real big hurry. ;)

PIGMAN

I agree with kraigwy.

There is no question a laser gives you a big edge if you need to gun fight in the dark.Since iron sights (if you can even see them) require time to line up for the shot ,a laser requires only for you to get the dot on the target. It's just as simple as that.

wsp64

Went to the range the other day with my 329, for

those unaware of it, it is a 26 ounce 44 Magnum.
With FULL loads of H110 and 300 gr Hardcasts at 20 yards, I shot two six shot groups, two hands no rest.
No laser: 12" x 8"
laser: 4 in one hole, total group 3"

That's all I need to know.

Once upon a time, people didn't use scopes either. (and won't again when that 300 yard green daylight laser gets perfected!):D

Eagleks

While ya'all are trying to see where the red dot is and putting it on whatever is that you want to hit.... they've already shot at you several times.

Point shooting.