Any pros and cons on lasers on a handgun ?

MLeake

The red laser is visible if smoke is present. Use it at an indoor range, and you will see it after the first shot or two.

By the time shots are fired, positions are probably known.

Doc Maker

I have a CT 402M on my Beretta 92 and I like it a lot. I see a lot of posts saying that all you'll see is a red dot and you'll shoot a loved one.

Horse Hockey, I say!

These posters have not tried one. (I do NOT work for, or sell CT's)

1) If you don't know where your family is during an emergency, you shouldn't pull the trigger until you ID your target.

2) I've practiced clearing my own house, at night, in pitch black. The iron sights are useless. But most importantly, the Laser on my pistol is bright enough to illuminate the whole target enough to get a positive ID but not destroy my night vision. Point it in the intruders face and he's dazzled. (I've tried this, w/grips off the gun for safety, of course)
:D

3) Trigger press drills with the CT have improved my shooting exponentially.
I used anticipate a bit. I've corrected that and I'm shooting better after a few trips to the range.

vito

I'm on the far side of 60 and my vision, especially night vision, is not what it was. I believe that the most likely time I will need my gun for self/family defense is in the dark of night. Even with night sights I found I could not see well enough to aim. I added a Crimson Trace to my S&W Model 19 and it has given me greater confidence for night self defense. In the daylight I would still use the sights but at night this tool has given me new confidence in my totally reliable revolver. Now I am considering buying the Crimson Trace for my j-frame 2-inch pocket pistol. I'm also thinking about laser sights for some of my other guns, but for now I am only doing the ones that I rely on for immediate defense.

jaydubya

Vito -- I'm on the far side of seventy-nine, and I cannot even see iron sights without my glasses on. As stated in an earlier post, I have Crimson Trace grips on three handguns. The first one was my S&W 637 J-frame snubby, which I bought with dealer-installed CT laser grips. In my opinion, all snubbies should wear laser sights. And some lasers are better than others by a long shot. Crimson Trace laser grips are the easiest and most instinctive to activate and turn off that I know of. Excellent customer service too.

Cordially, Jack

wsp64

It appears from reading the posts that NO ONE

has bothered to get the FREE CT laser grip DVD and watch it.

The advantages are too many to count, especially when shooting in a barrier scenerario.

I have em' on my Airweight Chiefs Special and S&W 329 and with old eyes and not wearing glasses when sleeping at home or camped out in Mr Griz country, think they could be the difference between life & death.

BTW my 329 CT grips will illuminate a man sized target at 50 yards while there is still enough natural light to see well enough to walk around w/o a flashlight.

I look forward to the one the military is working on that will illuminate to 300 meters in daylight...... bye bye riflescopes!

Lotsa opinions, not much experience.:D

Cheapshooter

It appears from reading the posts that NO ONE
has bothered to get the FREE CT laser grip DVD and watch it.

A free CD from a company trying to sell their product:eek: That's truly objective!
I think most people who have posted here look deeper into a subject than advertising. Laser sights as stated do have a limited place, but they aren't a cure-all.

HoraceHogsnort

When laser sights first came out every luddite on the planet sprang forth to denigrate them. Now, several years later, the "ays" and "nays" seem to be about balanced out. I have them on four guns for low light situations since most criminal assaults happen after sundown. Its kinda funny, the same staunch believers in tactical lights will grind on the lasers because they "give away your position to the perp"!!:eek:

A quality laser (like Laser Devices) can be a fast on/fast off unit, and keep its zero. I use one on my Walther P99, which I happen to have a registered suppressor for. I can screw on the suppressor, and place the laser on the rail, and it is sighted in for 25 yards. I can do head shots without using the sights, if the head stands still. Another plus is a laser can be sighted in for longer or shorter range than the sights, giving you two accurate points of aim.

wsp64

Looking "deeper into the subject" requires

INFORMATION. So what's your source of "expert data"? People who have never used one ? Some TV show sponsered by a flashlight company ? Or just who ?

Your comment shows you don't own any, have never used them and assume all corporate advertising has some evil hidden agenda.

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean THEY are not out to get you."

You stick with your tinfoil hat and sights you can't use w/o exposing yourself, I'll stick with my CT lasergrips.:D

Cheapshooter

A quality laser (like Laser Devices) can be a fast on/fast off unit, and keep its zero. I use one on my Walther P99, which I happen to have a registered suppressor for. I can screw on the suppressor, and place the laser on the rail, and it is sighted in for 25 yards. I can do head shots without using the sights, if the head stands still. Another plus is a laser can be sighted in for longer or shorter range than the sights, giving you two accurate points of aim.
:eek::eek::eek:

So how much do you charge for a "Hit"

ClydeFrog

wsp64's DVD post; CT promos- VHS, DVD...

Slow your roll, wsp64! :(

I requested Crimsontrace product videos in BOTH VHS & the later DVD format. ;)

I'd add that the "gunsmoke" or fog issue may come up in a critical incident, but in a large # of armed citizen shooting events, I'd say the 3x3x3 Rule would be used(3 fired rounds total, at approx 3 feet, in approx 3 seconds).

Laser-sights or aimers/white lights are NOT a replacement for skill training or marksmanship but they can aid a armed professional, LE officer or CC license holder.

dgludwig

4. For what it's worth, a laser can be very intimidating to an attacker. The sight of that red dot climbing up your chest can be quite chilling.

Not worth much. There are all kinds of reasons to buy a laser I suppose, but, in my experience, the "fear factor" quotient shouldn't be one of them. My job in le for almost thirty years required me to train a pistol on a miscreant on a few occasions and I have never seen a person being held at gunpoint to even take so much as a glance at his chest nor has that been the experience of the many other officers that I have queried concerning this claim.

All you have to do is to ask yourself if you'd be searching your chest area for a dancing red light if you were involved in a gun fight or even had a gun pointed at you. For most people, I think not. You will be focused on your adversary, not on your anatomy. And the same can be said for any attacker you might have the misfortune to face.

jaydubya

dgludwig said: My job in le for almost thirty years required me to train a pistol on a miscreant on a few occasions and I have never seen a person being held at gunpoint to even take so much as a glance at his chest nor has that been the experience of the many other officers that I have queried concerning this claim

I absolutely agree. Put your own feelings into the equation. Some guy has shouted "freeze" and is pointing a handgun at you. Would you look to see if a red dot was dancing on your chest? Or would you have other things on your mind?

Jack

Cheapshooter

4. For what it's worth, a laser can be very intimidating to an attacker. The sight of that red dot climbing up your chest can be quite chilling.

Yup, works great in the movies. Hollywood is good enough for me:eek:

RC20

I am just starting in on looking at a new gun and laser.

Laser needed for two reasons.

1. Eyes cannot see iron sights very well these days
2. Night use, my wife and I are the only ones here, no one else in house. If intruder suspected, check bed for wife, if wife in bed then its an intruder.

One I have not seen mention is the Laserlyte V3 (under-barrel rail mount).

It would seem that this would not show right if you are used to iron sights (line up up that way wold be my reflex).

Anyone use them and how do they work real world?

They do not make an iron sight replacement yet for the gun(s) I am looking at

Crimson is seriously expensive but not out.

woodguru

Tried one for the first time....

Used the sights, the guy who's .45 it was on was still trying to hold still for the first shot at a can while I toasted five of them.

It was on an S&W .45 1911 with the laser grips. The laser doesn't do a thing for me. The pistol has excellent sights, I liked it a lot.

vito

I added a Crimson Trace laser on my S&W Model 19 revolver and although the rubber grips from Crimson Trace are not as classy as the original wooden grips, I feel much more confident of hitting what I want to hit when in a low light or full darkness situation (where the iron sights are useless). I am ordering another Crimson Trace laser for my j-frame snubbie for the same reasons. These two guns are what I most likely will be reaching for at home or away if needed for self defense and the laser sights make a real and positive difference for me.

orionengnr

If you hold a gun properly you won't be able to see the laser if the laser dot is below the level of the iron sights.
Not sure I understand this statement. My Crimson Trace is set for 21 feet. At that distance it hits the target exactly where the iron sights do. At shorter distances it will be slightly low and right (and if I'm using iron sights it will be out of sight).
At greater distances it will be slightly higher and left. Either way, if you are focused on the target, you will see the red dot.
I oft-times use the laser to practice "point shooting", only without ammo. All I have to do is point the gun at the target, and activate the switch on the grip to see where I'm really pointing. It's amazing how accurate a person can get doing this.
^^^What Daryl said. Five minutes of practice once a month will fine-tune your point shooting skills. These days, I seldom carry the 3" 1911 that has the CT (and that CT won't fit a Commander or Government model) but I use it for this purpose. I will likely add a CT to other carry guns as finances permit.

It is a supplement, not a panacea. Another tool in the toolbox, if you will.

HoraceHogsnort

Clydefrog wrote: "Laser-sights or aimers/white lights are NOT a replacement for skill training or marksmanship but they can aid a armed professional, LE officer or CC license holder.'

OK, I don't have my CCW yet so they won't be of any aid to me.!!:mad: Actually in just about any low light situation (not total darkness) they are a good tool to aid target acquisition. If the perp can see you already then they are not going to give away your position AND they can put you on target when your body position is not optimal for good shooting.