Any pros and cons on lasers on a handgun ?

doc540

My wife and I both wear corrective lenses.

Our handgun lasers help (but are not a total substitute for sights) with point-and-shoot accuracy, especially in low light.

They have made a dramatic difference in here confidence and sense of security. And that's a good thing.

We have them on her LCP, the nightstand Smith M36 snubbie, and the downstairs Glock 26.

I also have a TLR-2 on my wicked little hurricane zombie exterminator, SBR.

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
Old military axiom: TRACERS WORK BOTH WAYS!
The same concept with lasers and flashlights. I especially like the idea of wearing a head band with a flashlight on it - nice target.

brickeyee

The laser is NOT going to help ID a target.

You can use iron sights in almost total darkness by watching them in the muzzle flash.

Of course that means the first shot is not likely to be well aimed.

It takes practice to line up the sights when using a flashlight to illuminate the target, but it can be done.

The sights will be very black and contrast nicely with the illuminated target.

geetarman

I use them but I do not depend on them.

I depend on the iron sights. They have their place but they are not replacements for iron sights.

Geetarman:D

44 AMP

Staff
Interesting....

People say that red dot on the bad guy is a big deterrent, and other people say how much the laser shows them shaking. I gotta wonder, in a high stress situation, is that red dot, bouncing all over telling the bad guy you are on target, or that you aren't?

I don't care to rely on things that run on batteries for defense. Not on my gun, anyway. Its personal, has no rational basis, other than Murphy's law, and electronic things seem to more in tune with Murphy and anything else.

Something like Crimson trace, where the laser is unobtrusive, I'm ok with, but I can see where training to watch the dot might not be the best thing all the time.

If its too dark to see the sights, you shoot by instinct (point shoot, use the Force, whatever), but ONLY when you have a positive ID on the target, along with a desperate need. Lights and lasers on defense guns may do some good in the long run, but I feel the potential for tragedy is increased by using them to "see" with. And doing that is a natural tendancy difficult for many to overcome.

Training, and plinking, fine. Serious defensive use? Not me.

Poodleshooter

I especially like the idea of wearing a head band with a flashlight on it - nice target.
Unless you're holding the light out at arms length, any flashlight is going to be a target (gun mounted, held in offhand,etc). The headlamp is no different in that respect. It only trades the "on/off" tactic of a handheld for being able to go handsfree.

iMagUdspEllr

If you hold a gun properly you won't be able to see the laser if the laser dot is below the level of the iron sights. If you hold the gun out of the way so that you can find the laser easier you won't have a good platform to shoot from. Either way you're screwed with a laser.

If anything a red dot sight is more effective than a laser just because you can't lose the dot behind your gun or arms, the bad guy can't see it, and it is faster than iron sights. You can even get ones that are powered by tritium and ambient light if you don't want to rely on batteries.

However the most reliable thing is simply tritium iron sights.

Any of the above should be used in conjunction with a light. Preferably a weapon mounted light because you won't be as accurate trying to shoot with only one hand on the gun (not good if you have to shoot around a loved one for example). You should never shoot at anything that you haven't identified and using the muzzle flash of your gun to identify your target is an extremely irresponsible identification method (brickeyee).

Smilin Jack

I carry a S&W 649 .357 snub nose. It's a great carry gun and it certainly has enough horse power but the crappy sights combined with low light could cause aiming problems. Crimson Trace grips solve that. It's a tool that helps......no more, no less. It does not take the place of practice, practice and practice.

MLeake

I have CT lasers on my pocket type guns, a Kahr PM9 and a S&W 442. I practice alternately with iron sights and lasers.

From Weaver or Isosceles, I prefer the irons inside 15 yds. With the 442, the laser may allow tighter groups farther out, assuming light conditions are not too bright. Back when I had an SP101 with CTC, the laser made a very definite difference at 25yds, so I assume the same will be true with the new snub.

What I do like the lasers for is off-stance shooting or retention position shooting. It isn't always feasible to bring the sights up to eye level.

And, of course, the laser is a great tool for dry-fire trigger control practice.

Note: Adding photos from yesterday's range session. First, I sighted in the CTC lasergrip, adjusting the dot to remain about an inch below and about a half inch right of POI, to avoid parallax issues with varying range. Distance was a comfortable 5yds.

2010-11%20148.JPG

The individual holes were all part of the initial sight-in process. The big hole was created by aiming the dot at the lower right of the orange circle, about 1/2" to right of horizontal center. 50 rounds fired for this target.

Second, I used the iron sights to make a comparison group, again at 5yds. Point of Aim was dead center of the circle. 50 rounds were fired for this target, as well.

2010-11%20147.JPG

Note: this was only the second range session I've had with the 442, since acquiring it last week. I'm pretty happy with it; it rides as BUG either in a SimplyRugged Pocket Protector (in my left cargo pocket, as I type), or in a Don Hume IWB which I use in crossdraw mode, between the belt and my pants (clip doesn't work properly from true IWB).

Last edited:

mes228

Laser

My wife is a novice shooter. She has a Glock 19 with a LaserMax guide rod installed. She can put 18 rounds into a four inch bulls eye in less than 18 seconds at 15 yards. She also shoots the 19 remarkably well without the laser turned on. I don't know about combat but feel that for a bed side defense weapon at night it would suffice. For targets at the local indoor range she's a crackerjack shot with the laser. Yesterday, she was in the lane to my left, and two 40-50 year old men on the lanes to the right. She was clearly out shooting them at all ranges by a VERY wide margin. She was firing much quicker too.

CapeCodShooter

Lasers are great training aids for dry fire practice. To use the laser properly at the range or otherwise, first acquire the target with your front sight, then use the laser for a fast shot. It takes a lot longer to describe it than it does to do it. If you don't acquire the target first, you'll just be chasing that little dot around while (a) everyone at the range giggles, or (b) the BG plugs you full of holes.

I hung a little laser on my GFs snubby. Before, she couldn't hit anything with those crummy sights. Now she's Annie Oakley.

jaydubya

Cornbush said: I don't like em......they make me look like I've got parkinsons

That's YOU doing it, Cornbush, not the laser. And you've been doing it all your life. Get a set of Crimson Trace grips and begin the cure: lots and lots of dry firing at door knobs, etc.

I have CT grips on three handguns, and would not buy a handgun that Crimson Trace did not make a set for. My whole purpose for having handguns is home/self defense. For that reason, I don't care for the green lasers which, in my experience, light up a room almost as if in daylight and half-blind me in the process. Also I have never seen a green laser that was as instinctive to activate and deactivate as a Crimson Trace set of grips. And finally, a holster that held one of my handguns before I installed the CT laser grips will not even notice the change.

Cordially, Jack

rodfac

Wife has one on her S&W Airweight...loves it. Can shoot either way..sights or dot.

It taught her what was happening as she shot double action, and allowed her to adjust her trigger technique.

It's right on...right out of the box, (Crimson Trace), and it shot within 1/2" of the dot!!

As to the laser leading a bad guy back to the shooter...I'd just say that in our darkened bedroom, if it isn't me coming through the door after being warned, she's gonna shoot...he'll be too busy picking ,.38 +p rounds out of his mid-section to worry where she is. Her decision and mine as well was made when the BG entered the house and defied warnings to leave us alone.

I shot a 1-3/8" gp at 35 yds...thirty five yards, off hand with the gun cradled two handed and my elbow hard against my hipbones. That dot did the trick... it was out of a 3" M-36 S&W Chief's Special at that.

I like 'em and I'm a traditional handgunner...ie: one hand...iron sights...the whole bit. Laser's make a great training aid, they're a great defense aid in a darken room, and a confidence builder for any new shooter. Get a good one...we've had great success with Crimson Trace...their elevated cost was worth every penny.

Regards, Rodfac.

silvercorvette

I don't want them, like them or need them, but I have nothing against then. some people find them helpful and sometimes they can aid in training point and shoot. If you have a chance to try one do so, if they help you then buy one.

But please do not depend on them because all things mechanical can fail so make sure you are able to shoot well without using one.

There in never a one fits all answer, everyones needs are different, I am willing to try new technology if I see a need for it. In my case I have learned to shoot and have been shooting before lasers were invented. Maybe if I were just starting out I may have had a need for one.

HoplophileX

The only pistol I have a laser sight on is my little KelTec P3AT .380, and considering the almost non-existent sights on it, I considered it a necessity. I figure if I ever have to use it in a hurry, it will likely be in a BIG hurry and the little red dot gives me assurance that I'm on target with such a short barreled pistol. It takes up virtually no space and adds little weight and doesn't take away from the concealability of the piece. Considering I'm always carrying this little pocket pistol no matter what else I'm carrying, it made sense to me.

Ruark

"If you hold a gun properly you won't be able to see the laser if the laser dot is below the level of the iron sights."

But in a self defense situation (which I presume the laser is for) you won't be lining up the sights like a competition shooter; you'll thrust the gun outward at chest level and blast at the attacker.

- Ruark

Pbearperry

I believe the best advantage of the laser sight is that if you are behind cover,you don't have to expose much of your head to get the shot off.One eye around the cover is all you need to see the dot.Another advantage is that I don't need my glasses on to get a good sight picture.
That being said,lasers do not make up for poor shooting skills.:eek:

dec41971

I think the fact is laser is good as an added aide. I have Crimson Laser on my two CCW guns, but I turn them off and use the irons at the range. Occasionaly will tun them on and see how good my aim is dry firing.

Here is the honest facts:
  1. B\G can follow the laser to you.. - Total BS.
  2. I'd rather have the laser there. It can help but cant hurt.

So can you follow the light to give away my location, NO. The Crimson Trace red dot leaves no trailing beam. It just show when some solid object blocks its path. I have used guns with the green laser, and that is visible as a line from you to the target.

How can it possibly hurt when you can turn it on or off? You can't always use the iron sights, but you can use laser anytime. I see only con to be its not the cheap. But otherwise all pros.:D