Any pros and cons on lasers on a handgun ?

Mello2u

The major "con" I can think of is that a laser requires electricity.

Murphy's Law indicates that when you need your laser the most your batteries will be dead. It won't work.

bamaranger

lasers

The agency bought a dozen or so of Crimson Trace to go on SIG duty pistols 10 yrs or so ago. I don't think any one of them is still "on duty". They just did not hold up to every day, all weather patrol use.

We did all sorts of stuff with them though, that you could not do with iron sights in low light. Like poppers at 50 yds, from the hip. Or a rack of plates up close, much faster than usual w/ irons and a flashlight.

As a HD "house gun" accessory I see a role, but what we had did not hold up for 24/7.

dgludwig

The major "con" I can think of is that a laser requires electricity.

Murphy's Law indicates that when you need your laser the most your batteries will be dead. It won't work.

Of course, unless the irons fell off along the way, you still have them to sight with. In that sense, if the battery should die, you're no worse off than if you had no laser to start with.

HoraceHogsnort

Mello2U wrote: "The major "con" I can think of is that a laser requires electricity. Murphy's Law indicates that when you need your laser the most your batteries will be dead. It won't work."

Don't buy one unless you have the good sense to change the batteries on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

45ACPShooter

While I don't think laser sights should be used exclusively they certainly provide there advantages to iron sights.

Regarding giving away your position realistically in most self-defense situations you're going to be up close to the person you're shooting at and hitting your target is going to be more important than not being seen. I could understand the disadvantage if you're in a war and you're going to ambush an enemy that's several yards away while you're undercover but that's not the kind of scenario most people using firearms for self-defense will encounter. Even if the lasers gave away your position which they don't be all they do is emit a laser dot onto the target, you don't have to use the laser if you don't want to. You can just rely on your iron sights.

Having the ability to engage an enemy from non traditional firing stances, on the move, and in low light conditions is where the laser exceeds. Disregarding lasers because you see them is "toys" is foolish. When I first started using optical sights like the aimpoint, I said that I could shoot just as quickly and accurately with iron sights. Although some people can for the most part it's easier to use these kinds of optics and that's the reason why soldiers who are issued M4s have an aimpoint optical device (M68) on their weapons.

Jimmy10mm

Well I'm the original poster and this thread has been very enlightening. I've decided to keep the laser and I'm glad that I have it. Aside from all of the advantages and disadvantages discussed the biggest for me was realizing that if I'm awakened in a dark room or in daylight, without my bifocals the sights are worthless to me. I can't focus on them. When I originally asked the question that never occurred to me.

So for the nightstand alone it is worth it to me. Glad I have night sights too. Anyhow, RC20, I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise you on which brand of laser would be the best for your gun but I would read up on it and get one or another.

As far as shooting with it, once zeroed in, if you put that laser on the target and use correct trigger control you will score a hit.

Justice06RR

I would prefer a mounted tac-light over a laser.

When i first started shooting, a couple of knowledgable friends adviced me never to rely on lasers. Sure they can be useful for tactical military/police purpose, but for civilian SD/HD use i don't see their effectiveness. IMO they're just for the cool factor like you see in movies. In a real self defense situation when you have to draw your firearm, its pretty much point-and-shoot; you wont have time to 'aim' that laser for that perfect shot. A flashlight would have more use in low-light situations. You need to identify your target first anyway

danber9546

Lasers on a Kel-Tec

I wish Crimson Trace would make a laser for the Kel-Tec P-11. That's my favorite handgun. It would make the PERFECT CCW piece...9mm caliber, 10 or 12 round capacity, pocket pistol, with a laser?! YEAH,BABY!!:rolleyes:

rigby06

Crimson Trace Laser grips

Until I had purchased a weapon with the Crimson Trace laser grips I would not have invested the money on it, for thinking it would not be needed, after having it on a weapon, I can see the advantages of the Crimson Trace. All of the previous posts about the advantages are correct, and one to add, the Crimson trace will aid in target acquisition, even when the target and the shooter are both moving :cool:, it will be easier to keep beam on target, that would be much more difficult with iron sights. Crimson Trace or other laser systems will never replace iron sights, they are just supplemental to iron sights. It is just like seat belts and air bags for vehicles, neither is fully needed in the event of a crash, but the use of those supplemental systems will greatly improve your odds of surviving a crash. Laser grips will improve your odds in a gun fight when used properly. You will however have to re-train you self on how to use them, to shoot a weapon with laser sights, you should be looking off weapon, where your beam is, not down the sights its self, trying to align the iron sights with the laser in time of critical need could take too long. :)

mes227

I have a rail-mount laser/light combo on my Kimber 1911, and am happy with that selection for home defense. I can imagine a lot of scenarios where the light will be more useful than the laser, and for close-range encounters it's almost as good as the laser for sighting the target. If I were to chose one or the other, it'd be the light (for home defense).

brickeyee

My job in le for almost thirty years required me to train a pistol on a miscreant on a few occasions and I have never seen a person being held at gunpoint to even take so much as a glance at his chest nor has that been the experience of the many other officers that I have queried concerning this claim.

This is what the LE guys I know say and the mil guys who occasionally use laser sights for CQB.

They stare at the hole at the end of the barrel is what everyone I know with experience says (if they are not looking around for a way to escape).

Having a gun pointed at you tends to be a sobering experience.

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Winston Churchill

labhound

If you've walked through your dark house at night you'll realize that iron sights are worthless. Night sights are better but without light you're still trying to shoot in the dark. A flashlight works okay but depending on which hand you're holding it in your iron sights my still be hard to make out, and if you have to open a door you may temporarily loose the use of the light. Its hard to beat a rail mounted light/laser. Hit the button, light up the room and spot your target with the laser. You don't have to be concerned about seeing the front sights if you didn't have time to put on your glasses. As far a dead batteries go, flashlight batteries go dead too. They all have to be changed regularly. Flashlights, night sights, and light/laser combo all have their advantages and disadvantages, but I prefer the rail mounted light/laser. Here's my Stoeger Cougar 8045 with a Virdian C5L light/laser combo.

Last edited:

dec41971

Lasers are aides. You train with the sights, and its nice to have a laser for point and shoot to make sure you are pointing where you think you are pointing to under pressure. Crimson trace can be turned on or off. I still don't see what the con is when its used as intended. :confused:

testuser

I was playing around with a buddy's laser sight the other day. My impression was that it slowed me down because I was trying to find the red dot across the room. For what it's worth, I find that most new shooters I take to the range miss the target because they flinch and drop the pistol down, jerk the trigger, or fail to use the correct stance, not because of sight alignment issues. Lasers don't fix any of these problems.

If a room is black, it would be better, but, again, there are night sights and they don't add any extra bulk or weight, nor require batteries. Either way, if you actually want to see and identify your target, then your pistol is going to need some sort of light as opposed to a laser.

tipoc

Lasers on handguns are not necessary and they do not take the place of learning to shoot properly. However they can be reassuring for those who cannot or will not take the time to learn.

They can be useful for a good many people, for example;

An untrained person with failing eyesight or bad night vision.

A person who has a handgun for home defense but has little or no training, the laser can help them pick up the target. They will be slow and clumsy at it but they may be worse off without it. If you can't shoot without a laser you still can't shoot with one. I know, they should get proper training but the reality is that most folks who own guns do not seek training in self defense shooting. A laser sight may help someone in a desperate situation at the least have confidence that their gun is pointed in the right direction before pulling the trigger.

They can be useful training aids in learning to shoot in low light situations where the sights cannot be clearly seen if used properly.

There are downsides, some of which have been mentioned, but...

Some folks who have lasers on their guns tend to focus on the dot and come to rely on it. This is a mistake. You may not always have that dot. They can also use the dot as a substitute for the hard work required to become a proficient shooter at speed and at varying distances.

It is true that the dot and the beam of light does reveal your position. This can be important if the person with the laser sight is flashing it about, or fumbles with it, and if there is more than one attacker.

Some seem to be confusing Aim Point red dot sights with laser sights. Two different things entirely.

A little point shooting can go a long way. You don't have to be able to see your sights to hit a target.

Personally I was shooting before they were invented and have no need for them. I do use night sights.

tipoc

mikerault

A warning about the S&W Bodyguard .38 with laser: If you get the gun wet (caught in a downpour, worn on the ankle and step in a puddle, dropped in the toilet (nah, that never happens...)) immediately remove the laser unit, remove the batteries and completely dry it out. They are not environmentally sealed. I suggest you check out the environmental qualifications on any laser you have or buy.

SPUSCG

Lasers have an intimidation factor. Bad guys may think "hey that laser dot over my heart is where a bullet will go lets think this through."

So, if a laser makes a bad guy back down, I wouldnt need to shoot, which is a win for lasers.

Also, if I was to hold multiple attackers at gunpoint, Id want to keep peripheral vison, not tunnel vision down sights, so I could hold a gun at third eye position and still see where bullets will go.

dgludwig

Lasers have an intimidation factor. Bad guys may think "hey that laser dot over my heart is where a bullet will go lets think this through."

As opined in previous posts in this thread, the so-called "intimidation" factor supposedly offered by lasers is largely a myth. Bad guys (nor good guys) will not be scrutinizing their (our) chest areas for a dancing red dot when engaged in a gun fight. They (we) will be focused on the other guy's gun and his behavior and actions. Nobody is going to "think through" a dot superimposed on their left tit when real bullets are coming from the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

Quote:
As opined in previous posts in this thread, the so-called "intimidation" factor supposedly offered by lasers is largely a myth. Bad guys (nor good guys) will be scrutinizing their (our) chest areas for a dancing red dot when engaged in a gun fight. They (we) will be focused on the other guy's gun and his behavior and actions. Nobody is going to "think through" a dot superimposed on their left tit when real bullets are coming from the opposite directio

Absolutely!!! Way too many people watching way too many movies and TV shows.
Lasers have their place, but Hollywood has made them out to be the end all, cure all wonder devise!