Your preferred GLOCK

chaim

I don't own any Glocks, never have. They don't really "speak" to me. I've tried, but something else always wins out for me. That said, I'm not a Glock hater. I know they are good solid guns, reliable, accurate, consistent. They are a solid choice, and nearly always end up on my short list when considering a gun that Glock makes something in the niche.

There are four main Glocks that appeal to me (possibly 3), and eventually I'm sure at least one will enter my "collection." Here's my list, in the order of most likely to least likely personal purchase

• Glock 19
  • Glock 26/27
  • Glock 29
The Glock 19 is nearly a perfect size for those who like a bit more capacity and capability in a carry gun. A light and concealable duty type pistol, or a CCW type pistol that can do duty as a duty style pistol. It is narrow (for a double stack), light, with a decent sight radius. While I haven't bought a Glock yet, every time I've bought something in this class (compact service pistols), I've always compared it to the Glock 19/22.

The 26/27 is similar. To me, it has been the standard I've compared others to, and often come close to buying. It is a great CCW size (for most styles of clothing and carry), light, but can take a full sized mag from a larger Glock. By all reports it is much easier to shoot than its size would suggest. Since I've owned a similar S&W M&P40c (1st gen) for years now, I'll likely never get a 27. However, since S&W now puts out a larger (G19 sized) version of the M&P Compact, if I get a 9mm version, the Glock 26 will likely be my main contender (and there is a good chance I will).

The G29 is interesting. A 10mm in a concealable size and weight, that by all reports tames the recoil quite well. The only question is whether I'd actually carry a 10mm.

tlm225

For me it's the Glock 48, Finally a Glock that's a good fit for my below average sized hands. I carried a glock as an issued weapon (17, 22, 23) for my LE career and while I was one of the top shooters in my agency they weren't a good fit for me. The 48 changed that.

If it fit better my preferred Glock would be the 23 that I received upon retirement that resides in my safe.

Pistoler0

10mm Gen4 G20.

Glock's best "all-around" pistol, chambered in the most versatile and useful semi-auto cartridge ever made.

Size-wise, the G20 splits the difference between the more concealable G29, and the less concealable G40 long-slide.

The G20's ability to accept aftermarket "drop-in" barrels in three other calibers only enhances its versatility. :cool:
I think that in terms of versatility changing calibers, the Glock 21 has the 20 beat.

Right off the bat, just with a stronger recoil spring, the 21 can shoot 45 Super (or 450 SMC) which in some loads compares favorably energy wise to 10mm.

Then of course it can also accept Glock 20 barrels and then shoot 10mm and 40S&W:
FrankenGlock Tales

There is also 400 Cor Bon, 40 Super, 460 Rowland and 50 GI conversions if more power is desired. A 22 lr conversion is also available. That is 8 shooting calibers that are available for the G21.

And when shooting the cartridge they are designed for, G21's 45 ACP ammo is more economical than 10mm.

Here is an interesting link listing all the Glock caliber conversions available:
Possible caliber swaps for Glocks

Last edited:

JustJake

I think that in terms of versatility changing calibers, the Glock 21 has the 20 beat.

Well, let's see ...

Beyond the 10mm chambering, the G20 is convertible to .40S&W, .357Sig, 9x25 Dillon, and .38Super - assuming the availability of aftermarket barrels.

You can also run a .45acp G21 slide/barrel assembly on the G20 frame.

So that would be a total of six (6) shootable calibers off one frame ... and seven (7) if you include a .45 Super set-up using the G21 slide on the G20 frame.

And when shooting the cartridge they are designed for, G21's 45 ACP ammo is more economical than 10mm.

:rolleyes:

In these times, online or store-bought .45acp and 10mm are close enough in price to be a wash. And if you reload, which any serious 10mm fan already does, it's also a wash.

Pistoler0

Well, let's see ...

Beyond the 10mm chambering, the G20 is convertible to .40S&W, .357Sig, 9x25 Dillon, and .38Super - assuming the availability of aftermarket barrels.

You can also run a .45acp G21 slide/barrel assembly on the G20 frame.

So that would be a total of six (6) shootable calibers off one frame ... and seven (7) if you include a .45 Super set-up using the G21 slide on the G20 frame.

:rolleyes:

In these times, online or store-bought .45acp and 10mm are close enough in price to be a wash. And if you reload, which any serious 10mm fan already does, it's also a wash.
he he, but you need to buy a whole upper assembly for .45 ACP whereas with the G21 I can just drop in a 10mm barrel and shoot :cool:. And I counted 8 calibers for the G21 vs 7 for the G20.

Come on, admit it. My G21 is better than your G20.

Even the number is bigger! 21 > 20 !!

What would you rather someone give you: $21 or $20? You see.... :p

Last edited:

larryf1952

I've been a handgun shooter since 1973, but I never owned a Glock until about 3 or 4 years ago. I'd bought into the unwarranted anti-plastic bigotry and the misplaced hysteria surrounding the Glock and polymer framed handguns in general. I own eight 1911's, after all...

Then, I bought a Gen 3 G19 on a whim. The Gen 4's had recently come out, and I found a Gen 3 at a local sporting goods store. The gun fit me great and pointed instinctively. I took it to the range and shot the proverbial lights out with that gun, using the OEM sights.

A year or so ago, I added a G23. Same deal. My two Glocks represent just a small portion of my collection, but I really dig my Glocks.

hub1home

I've never owned a Glock but I have shot a 26 and 27. When I buy one, if I buy one, it will be the 26 or perhaps the 43x.

Ruger45LC

I've had almost all models Glock offers over the years, in every caliber, but as it sits, I have a Gen5 27, 23 and 22 and a G42 380. I've always liked the .40 and while I tried a few times to change away from it, I go running right back. The Gen5 .40's are a bit thicker in the slide, it's trade off really, they do recoil less but they also don't fit in existing holsters.

The G42 I didn't expect to like as much as I do, it's the smallest Glock and by far the best shooting 380 I've ever had. I tried the 43 and 43X but they weren't the same, even though I would prefer 9mm over 380, something about the G42 just works, so if I want something smaller than the G27, it's the G42.

tuckerdog1

Had a G17 gen 1. Hurts to say I traded it, but towards a Freedom Arms 353, so Sorta OK with that.
Had a G17 gen 4. Traded it for a Ruger SR1911 in 45 ACP. Good with that.
Bought a G26 when they were first introduced, so gen 2.5 Still have it and love it.
Have a G20SF gen 4, which I also love.
Recently got a G19X. REALLY like it. Probably edges out the 26 as my fav.

Desmosedici

My older brother just bought a 19x this past weekend. He is over the moon about it, can't wait to go shoot it. The 19x/45 platform has been getting rave reviews by many people, it seems.

TunnelRat

My older brother just bought a 19x this past weekend. He is over the moon about it, can't wait to go shoot it. The 19x/45 platform has been getting rave reviews by many people, it seems.

I have a SIG in a similar slide length to grip length ratio. It works surprisingly well for me. That’s a combination I would have written off before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kreyzhorse

Had a Glock 22. Loved the gun, but couldn't shoot it at all. It wasn't the gun, it was me.

Sold it, have a Glock 36. I shoot it well enough, it's easy to carry and reliable, but the recoil is pretty brutal. That said, I just don't see letting this one go.

lll Otto lll

G34 Gen4 w/ Ghost Rocket connector and 4 lb. striker spring.
Trigger breaks under 3 pounds while still retaining all of the safeties.
It was designed for competition not carry.