Your favorite book

Lance Gothic

Brothers & Sisters,
Long Path, Mal H,
Long Path the author is Capt. E.C. Crossman 1932.
Mal H. Thank you for concurrence. (I should note that I also teach rocket science. Ergo the 0/1 analogy is 99 & 44/100's % accurate.)
There are plenty of books noted which have inspired us all. Then, too, there are the books unlisted which may have formed us in various traits. Our loves, hates, desires, dreams, aspirations, antithesis of current societal enigmas or dogma, or pragmatism. Purist. (Mal H. Tech Writer stuff?
Yeah, you guessed it!)
I'd like to propose another forum, i.e. what CHARACTERS, their traits or actions, (or lack thereof), have formed your opinions, career et al.?
Ah! A quagmire of cosmic coincidence, eh?
Sherlock Holmes or Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes?
Batman or Bateman. Da Vinci? Schliemann? Heinlein? Hawking?
Aquaman or Cliff Notes.
What about your language(s)? German, French, Italian, Urdu, Bantu, Tagolog? Hey we can keep THIS forum open for all eternity!
Perhaps we'll never know...
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

OgreBreath

Some good books listed in the thread

My favorite book is "The Decline of the West" written by Oswald Spengler circa WW1.

Bud Helms

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is one of my favorites right behind Atlas Shrugged. She wrote a couple of scifi shorts too. The titles escape me. Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy spoiled me for everything he's written since. A true saga of modern warfare. My favorite of all, though, is The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. You will not appreciate the Quadrilogy of the Rings until you have read it. The Quadrilogy = the Trilogy plus The Hobbit.:) Second is I, Robot by the master, Robert Heinlein.

glock glockler

"The Prince" by Machiavelli. This book is a collection of his rather accurate observations on human nature and how it relates to power. The truly awesome thing about books like this is that they are quite literally inexhaustable, with one being able to read it 1000 times and still not pick up everything that it has to offer.

Mal H

Staff
Sorry sensop, but I've got to correct you for the second time in 2 days. ;)

"I, Robot" was by the other master, Isaac Asimov. And I agree, it is one of the classics. That is where he proposed the 3 Laws of Robotics.

I also agree with you on "Red Storm Rising", it was a one sitting read for me - couldn't put it down. I wish a movie had been made from it.

notbubba

"Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling
Not just a kids book a great read,first on the list because it's the most recent read.

"All Creatures Great And Small" by James Herriot

Almost all Louis L'amour, favorite in "Comstock Lode"

"The Dragonriders Of Pern" series by Anne McCaffrey

The Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker

SlackO

Stephen King : The Stand, The Bachman Books, some others...

Dean Koontz: Intensity, Watchers, Dragon Tears, Creature, lots of good ones there... too many to mention.

Douglas Adams: All the Hitchhiker series...

JRR Tolkien: A genius (loved the ring trilogy, couldn't wade thru the Silmarillion).

Red Dwarf - Sci-Fi, one of the funniest books I've read. Grant Naylor (2 authors) is damn funny.

Doc Hudson

Narrowing down to a favorite book is even harder than narrowing a gun collection to just one. Can't be done, so here is a list of my favorites in mo particular order, with authors when I can remember them:

Unintended Consequences --John Ross
African Rifles and Cartridges -- John Taylor
Hobbit -- JRR Tolkein
Lord of the Rings -- "" "
Silmarillion -- "" "
Lonesome Dove -- Larry McMurtry
Sixguns -- Elmer Keith
Battlefield Earth -- L Ron Hubbard
The Source -------- James Michner
Centennial ---------- " "
Hawaii ------------ " "
Poland -------------- " "
Chesapeake -------------- " "
Texas ------------------" "
All of the Hornblower Series by C. S. Forrester
The Second Amendment Primer -- Les Adams
Hell I was There -- Elmer Keith
The Stand -- Stephen King
Death in the Long Grass ---- Peter Hathaway Capstick
Death in Silent Places ------ " " "
Death in the Dark Continent --- " " "
Any thing written by H. Beam Piper
The three Musketeers -- Dumas
Twenty thousand Leagues under the Sea ---Jules Verne
Around the World in Eighty Days -------- " "
Mysterious Island ---------------- " "
Treasure Island ---------- Robert Lewis Stephenson
Kidnapped -------------- " " "
Use Enough Gun ------- Robert C. Ruark
Uhuru --------------- " " "
Horn of the Hunter ------ " " "
Something of Value ------ " " "
The Old Man and the Boy --- " " "
The Old Man's Boy Grows Up -- " " "
The Gun and it's Development --- W.W. Greener
The Rifle in America ------ Phil Sharpe
Turning Points, autobiography of Charlie Sharpe

Those are some of my favorites. If the list gets any longer it will sound ridiculous.

Doc Hudson

bestdefense357

Thought I'd throw in my two-cents worth.

The Bible, for its religious teaching.

I've read everything by Ayn Rand, and admire her libertarianism but not her atheism.

Camp of the Saints, by Jean Raspail

Sherlock Holmes (all the stories and novellas) by Conan Doyle

Don Quixote, by Cervantes

The Choir Boys, by Joseph Wambaugh (the best cop novel I've ever read)

The Onion Field, by Joseph Wambaugh

The Blooding, by Joseph Wambaugh

The Death of Innocents, by Richard Firstman and Jamie Talan (one of the best true crime books written in the last ten years)

As mentioned by others, I read 1984 when I was in college and it scared me to death. 1984, Animal Farm, and Darkness At Noon by Arhtur Koestler should be required reading in all high schools. While on the same topic (the evils of totalitarianism), I would also recommend The Gulag Archielago by Solzhenitzen.

Robert

bestdefense357

Misspelled Archipelago--so that no one thinks of me as an illterate redneck, I'll try again. It's the Gulag Archipelago. I think!!! Robert

Balddog

Non fiction -
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer
BlackHawk Down - Mark Bowden
Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNab

Fiction -

Island in the sea of time series - S.M. Stirling
Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove
Sharpe - All the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell

Hard to pick just one, how about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Catcher in the Rye and A Clockwork Orange.

Mr Deltoid: "Not going to scholl today,Alex, hmm"
Alex: "I've got a pain in me gulliver, thought I'd rest up til the after"

gorlitsa

Very interesting...

I've been scrolling through this post to find books to read. For each book that gets a lot of votes, I go to my college library website and search for it to get the location in the library. I've got a list that fills almost two pages of my journal. :)

But oddly enough I couldn't find Unitended Consequences in the library. Odd....;)

BTW, my favorites are 1984, The Little Prince, and of course The Bible.

Daniel

Lookin' at my small collection.

Starship Troopers.
Ender's Game/Shadow.
The Stars my Destination.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
The Forever War.
The Man who was Thursday.
LOTR.

Larry Wright

Without a lot of reflection "Once an Eagle" immediately comes to mind, "Shardik" by Adams, I think and all of George McDonald Fraser's books, especially the Flashman series. All Clavell, especially "King Rat". Two books by Viscount William Slim,"From Defeat to Victory" and his "Unofficial History" (give me some leeway on the Slim titles, it has been over ten years since I read them). Recently "Blackhawk Down", "Ghost Soldiers", "Band of Brothers", "Company Haitch" autobiographical work by a Tennessee private in the Confederate army fighting mainly in Tennessee and the battles leading up to the campaign for Atlanta.

Poplin

It's back

My 1-year old thread has been resurrected!

A current favorite is Watership Down (1972) by Richard Adams. It is about the adventures of a society of rabbits. Despite the subject, it is indeed a story suitable for adults. The characters are smart and heroic, but they're still rabbits and act like them. They fear foxes, outsmart dogs, befriend birds, and run from the guns of men.

Highly recommended.

jason10mm

One of my all time favorite sci-fi books is "Threshold" by David R Palmer. The Robert Hamilton "Neutronium Alchemist" series are excellent as well. Larry Bond's early stuff is good (Vortex and the Korean one). And the best fantasy right now is definitely George R. R. Martin's "Fire and Ice" series (Game of Thrones, etc). Andy McNabs fiction is pretty good too. Later.

BigG

African Rifles and Cartridges - John Taylor
Shotguns by Keith,
Big Game Rifles - Elmer Keith
Unrepentant Sinner - Col. Charles Askins
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne